FS: 1998 Montero Winter Package

Swank Force One

Adventurer
What: 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Winter Package "Gen 2.5"
Where: Indianapolis, IN
Why: I have three body-on-frame Japanese SUVs. I would like to have two.
How much: $5000obo.
Mileage: ~175k

General details:

1998 Green on tan/poop brown Winter Package i pulled out of Sacramento about 2.5 years ago. It has about 175k miles, i've only put about 10k miles on it since i brought it home to Indianapolis. This is a rust-free truck by standards everywhere except maybe AZ. Light surface rust on fastener heads and a couple patches on frame only. We're talking an easy afternoon of light wiring brushing and fun with POR15 at worst. These trucks simply do NOT exist in this condition in the eastern half of the US, which is why i went to CA to get one.

THIS IS NOT A MINTY FRESH SHOW TRUCK. It has some bumps and bruises, it was owned by a cousin/relative of Eurosonic, and it was used. It has some trail pinstriping, some weird dents (Passenger front fender was parked on a rock with no sliders, same fender also punched something below the corner light.), and evidence that the snorkel has been put to use. Paint is faded/burning on hood and roof.

What it IS, is a super solid base that you won't have to worry about USING.

The Good/General Things Replaced in my Ownership:
  1. All four calipers, rear rotors, brake master cylinder, and front and rear pads replaced ~5000 miles ago (Update: Rear pads/rotors <1000 miles ago)
  2. Timing belt done at 160k miles
  3. Tires done less than 3000 miles ago (with matching spare)
  4. Heated/power seats work (swapped a bunch of interior stuff with a much nicer donor)
  5. ALL suspension/steering (except steering box) replaced <1000 miles ago
  6. New exhaust post y pipe <1000 miles ago
  7. New Denso AC compressor <1000 miles ago
  8. New battery 300 miles ago
  9. New valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires, intake manifold gaskets, water neck gaskets, crossover pipe o-rings, rear cam seals 300 miles ago
The Not So Good:
  1. Some noise from AC tensioner when AC is on. AC has a slow leak from one of the o-rings behind the front grille. I will fix this if i get a chance.
  2. Exhaust leaks, nothing super crazy. Exhaust appears to be original through the y-pipe, i replaced everything past that with aftermarket oem-style stuff.
  3. Leaks oil. Most leaks recently fixed, appears to be weaping a bit from oil pan still.
  4. Fixed.
  5. Heat doesn't work super awesome. Suspect clogged core (it is not leaking), and there might be some ducting issues, airflow isn't great.
  6. Front bumper was "trimmed" by Yours Truly to clear 35s. It was meant to be temporary, so i didn't put much effort into it.
  7. Power Steering pump whines a little. Has done it since i got it. Has not gotten worse. Power steering works great
  8. 2nd and 3rd row seats were thrown in trash
  9. Sunvisor mirror lights don't work
  10. Main dome light doesn't work
  11. Brake fluid level float is saturated. Brake light on 80% of the time. Brakes work great, no leaks.
  12. Rear diff light flashes when wet. Wiring for the sensor is trashed from the old exhaust resting on it. Locker still works. New sensor is about $20, just hasn't been high on priority list.
  13. ABS currently non-functional. Exploded a front sensor when i was doing the front end rebuilt. ABS system power has been disconnected entirely for safety. Dash light stays on.
  14. CEL for PRNDL switch. Truck drives fine. (comes with new PRNDL switch) (CEL has disappeared since new battery installed, 300 miles and counting)
Modifications/upgrades:
  1. Complete stereo. Kenwood Excelon headunit, Soundstream 5-channel amp, 12" Funkin Audio SX series sub in sealed enclosure, Sony GS-series speakers. Sounds GOOD.
  2. 2" 4Crawler body lift
  3. 15x8.5 -50ish Enkei EK32s (mismatched spare)
  4. 35x12.50r15 Cooper STT Pros (matching spare)
  5. Snorkel. Probably chinese, but fits well
  6. JDM fender markers (not wired yet)
  7. Gauge cluster and aux gauges lit w/ red LEDs. Have the LEDs to finish rest of the console.
  8. LED reverse lights
  9. Adventure Driven Design 1.5" lift. Sway-a-way heavy load torsion bars (with new oem boots/bushings), Siberian suspension bushings everywhere, 1.5" heavy load rear springs, Bilstein 5100s throughout, Adventure Driven Design solid aluminum panhard w/ heims. Installed brand new FUCA and FLCAs at the time.
  10. Extended rear diff breather and rear brake line
Things i have that are not installed: THIS is the mother lode, and will remedy pretty much everything in the "not so good" section
  1. Thermostat
  2. Trico Teflon wiper blades
  3. JDM corner lights
  4. Spare pair of 98-00 headlights in mint condition
  5. Complete Morimoto D2S projector HID retrofit kit
  6. Complete gen2 non-airbag dash and a huge tub of various parts to go with it (including amber print gauge cluster and aux gauges)
  7. AC Evap core
  8. BNIB OEM heater core w/ box
  9. At least one pair of oem floor mats in serviceable condition
  10. New dome light assembly
  11. Materials for a "Big 3" ground upgrade
  12. New PRNDL sensor
  13. Complete engine gasket/seal kit.
I am happy to answer any questions i can. I'm sure i've missed things in this listing in all categories. Things i've replaced/repaired/modified/upgraded, and i'm sure i have more parts that aren't listed. This is one of the more comprehensive "starter" kits for a Gen2 Montero i've seen listed here in a long time.

Album of pics here. I made no effort to clean up the truck yet. It will be washed and the interior cleaned before future owner takes delivery. It cleans up decently, but again... not a show truck.

2019-01-08_05-34-03 by concealer404, on Flickr

2019-01-08_06-03-22 by concealer404, on Flickr

(Stock suspension and 33s in this pic.)
_IGP9472 by concealer404, on Flickr

_IGP9492 by concealer404, on Flickr

Last edited:

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Replaced/Fixed this weekend:

Valve cover gaskets
Spark plugs/wires
Intake manifold gaskets
Rear water pipe gaskets
North/south water pipe o-rings
Water neck gasket
Every coolant line/hose besides radiator hoses (they remain undamaged)
Rear camshaft plug o-rings (One in process still, broke the plate when reinstalling, new one on the way)

Will be ready to drive to any new home in North America this coming weekend. Will have fresh oil and coolant. Price is still OBO, but a bit less so than it was last week.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Now with 100% more rear cam plate(s) oem o-rings, oem manifold and water neck gaskets, oem water pipe o-rings, and a Group 27 battery with 135a reserve. Fresh oil change, fresh coolant, ready to rock.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Installed/done this past Saturday:

1) OEM heater core installed
2) OEM evap core installed
3) original dealer-installed alarm completely removed
4) early non-airbag dash installed
5) Swapped aux gauge cluster for earlier model with amber print (temp/compass isn't lighting up, will investigate)
6) relocated seat heater switches to front of center console so they aren't annoying.

Passenger front brake caliper is a little sticky. Will be addressed before sale.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
I can get some but would like to clean it up a little first. It's mostly been used to haul stuff for the last year or so, haven't put many miles on it. I'll get that handled this week. :)

Swank Force One

Adventurer
I got caught up in life since the last post. Interior pics are below.

Additional items addressed:
New passenger front caliper
New upper and lower front brake hoses (both sides)
New pads all around
Front rotors turned (still well within thickness spec)
Replaced front wheel bearings with oem units and adjusted properly.

Just returned from a ~1200 mile round trip to NY in the truck. It could use more power (or more gearing) but it's perfectly happy to cruise at 70-75mph with overdrive locked out, tracks straight, rides beautifully, and runs smoothly.

Bottom half of fuel gauge is not working. Likely sender. I just fill up every 250 miles. More than happy to replace the sender if that's a deal breaker to anyone.

Carpet isn't beautiful but doesn't have any major rips. A removal and good steam cleaning would probably do wonders. I was planning on removing, doing sound deadening/insulation, then replacing just the front portion with a new aftermarket grey carpet.

Full album here, some pics below: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmyQk9iX

2019-12-26_10-49-26 by concealer404, on Flickr

2019-12-26_10-48-14 by concealer404, on Flickr

2019-12-26_10-48-22 by concealer404, on Flickr

2019-12-26_10-49-16 by concealer404, on Flickr

2019-12-26_10-05-09 by concealer404, on Flickr

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Torsion bar snapped in my driveway.

Everything else has been great.

$2000, bring wheels/tires and a trailer. Josh @ Adventure Driven is looking into warranty replacement on the torsion bars. Freak metallurgy issue from what i'm seeing. If Sway-A-Way will stand behind their product, i will send/include new bars. If not, i'll direct the new owner to get bars from OME.

Eastern US guys, here's your chance at a super cheap CA truck with a ton of money and time invested. Is it perfect? Obviously not. Will it do some nutty things once it has two intact torsion bars? Yes.

legerspencer

Are you in NY and is this still available?? I’m in NC and this looks like a steal if the only issue with it is a snapped torsion bar. What’s the mileage at currently?? Any other issues new since your first post?

Thanks,
Spencer

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Hi there.

I'm in Indianapolis (The NY mention was that i drove it to NY and back to visit family around the holidays, it drove great, very comfortable) and yes this is still available. No real large issues otherwise. It's an old truck and it has some fluid weeps here and there, but other than the bar there's nothing that would scare me away from driving it anywhere on this continent. The $400 heater core works great. :ROFLMAO:

Mileage currently at... 185k. Give or take 2k. I work from home so it never exactly had miles piled on it. Shoot me a PM to swap phone numbers if you want to talk through any questions. :)

Swank Force One

Adventurer
It has not left my possession, correct. It IS pending sale as of a few days ago, should be leaving this Sunday at the moment.

I will circle back either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz