Fuel tank on roof

BurbanAZ

Explorer
We love our 4Runner but the range has been an issue on every trip. I usually carry 2 or 3 jerry cans on the roof but it's always kind of a pain getting them off the roof and using or filling them so I try to avoid it unless I have to. Plus I've had issues with them swelling and and working lose if I use the plastic cans, or building a ton of pressure because of elevation and heat with the metal NATO type cans because they have no vent or pressure release. Then when I open them they leak everywhere.

I know it sounds kind of crazy but can anyone think of any problem with just having an aux tank on the roof rack instead of multiple fuel cans? I could even plumb it to my main tank. The tank I found is 21 gallons so I'm not worried about the weight since I would carry the same amount of weight in jersey cans anyway. They don't make an aux tank for under the 4Runner or a long range main tank.

Here is the type of tank I'm thinking, it's made for a dune buggy I think. Or even if I don't get this tank I could find a new aluminum tank similar.

21 Gallon Fuel tank for dune buggy, pick-up or car $90
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/pts/d/21-gallon-fuel-tank-for-dune/6272029055.html

BobsCreek

Adventurer
I "think" I've heard tell of folks being able to buy an FJ extended tank and slightly modify it for a 4runner... But...yeah...

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Actually looking at these tanks the spun aluminum ones look a lot better and might be a little less resistance (not like it matters much st this point)

Maybe like this

IMG_7599.jpg

This is the 4runnee i would put the tank up against the back of the rack and move the box forward

IMG_6939.jpg

Last edited:

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Yay !
21 gallon of gasoline is about 130 pounds, plus whatever ts container.
Nothing wrong with that...

Yea weight wise it's not bad, about what I would carry in jerry cans. I just keep hearing that a tank up there isn't safe but then they have a bunch of jerry cans so I can't imagine why that would be safer unless I'm missing something.

Also an aux tank on the spare space is what others recommend but on a vehicle that didn't come with a tank there I can't help but think that a tank directly in the impact zone would actually be less safe than one on the roof that's properly attached.

Am I just not thinking about something?

Clutch

<---Pass
Am I just not thinking about something?

I wouldn't want to have any fuel above my head in a jerry can or otherwise. All I can envision is having it raining down on me in accident....if you're lucky it will become a projectile and hit the other guy.

Tank under the vehicle if punctured, would spill out on the ground. That is if you didn't roll the vehicle. Tank on the roof, while may not become detached, it may get a hole torn it at the mounting bracket.

When dealing with fuel, believe you have to think about worst case scenario. I have been doused soaking wet with fuel because of a faulty cap lifting cans over my head, it taint fun.

"You're fine!.....until you're not...." :)

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
4runner with heavy fuel on the roof? Yea thats not smart. Range is one if the reasons I was OK getting rid of my Land Cruiser.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I guess the fact that it's fuel on the roof has never been an issue. I've always done every trip with 2 or 3 jerry cans on the roof for the last 10 ish years. Do you guys not carry and additional fuel over what your stock tank can hold? Seems like every overlanding rig I see has cans on the roof, usually 2-4.

A punctured or leak would suck but I doubt it would get in the cab unless it was leaking and sitting for a while.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I don't know how that year 4 runner is, but is the spare tire underneath the rear? I think it would be much safer to move the spare the roof and try and either put a tank under the rear where the spare is, then at least it's low to the ground and protected by the frame rails. If that's not possible put the spare gas on a swing out on the back is probably safer

The problem with a big tank on the top is not just the weight itself, it's that it's not really constrained. It's sloshing back and forth throwing off your handling dynamics, kinda like if you had a tank up there but didn't strap it down. Every time you brake all the weight is shifting forward, when you turn it's shifting to the side. Having them in smaller jerry cans minimizes the problem a little.

Plumbing into your main tank may be illegal. I seem to remember when I added an Aux tank to my land cruiser that gravity fed tanks are not allowed. If the hose has a leak now you're leaking out gallons of gas all over your car or on the ground.

OmegaMan73

Observer
I'd buy the spun aluminum one and try to find a place under the rig along the framerail, or up above the rear axle and mount it there. That much gas up high seems like it's asking for trouble. That tank isn't baffled so it will slosh a lot and that weight shift could be a concern. I'm not against having things on the roof, the vehicles can handle it to an extent but don't push your luck. Plus you may want to verify that it's legal to have an auxiliary tank mounted up there. I'm in az too and the vehicle laws here are pretty lenient but you should do some research to see that you won't get flack from the law.

Clutch

<---Pass
I guess the fact that it's fuel on the roof has never been an issue. I've always done every trip with 2 or 3 jerry cans on the roof for the last 10 ish years. Do you guys not carry and additional fuel over what your stock tank can hold? Seems like every overlanding rig I see has cans on the roof, usually 2-4.

A punctured or leak would suck but I doubt it would get in the cab unless it was leaking and sitting for a while.

I do, but I stick it on a trailer.

Most overland rigs everywhere else but the USA are diesel, which is a little safer than gas. One of my cousins caught himself on fire playing with gas, while not the same thing...scares to crap out of me having it on the roof.

Winterpeg

You can try a marine boat tank and strap it down (really well).

Put it up there empty and on the fuel tank filler side. Fill it when you fill the 4Runner.

When it's time to use the fuel you siphon it directly into your tank. The simple shaker siphon is the best and simplest option for this.

This way you never have to lift it with fuel in it.

I've done this for a while with a cheaper version of the marine tank... then ultimately got a steel rear bumper with the rotopax cans on it.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
You guys brought up a lot of good point. I'm probably not going to get a aux tank to mount on the rack. I think I may just try and find a spun aluminum tank to fit a space under somewhere even if it's not as big. I'll just accept the range of tbe 4Runner for what it is.

I'll just get a big aux tank for the bed of my diesel truck and use that for trips where we really want to cover some miles, the trucks a long bed so I have more than enough room and the aux tank options for those are everywhere.. Then well use the 4Runner when we want to be able to get a little further off the main roads.

Clutch

<---Pass
I don't know how that year 4 runner is, but is the spare tire underneath the rear? I think it would be much safer to move the spare the roof and try and either put a tank under the rear where the spare is, then at least it's low to the ground and protected by the frame rails. If that's not possible put the spare gas on a swing out on the back is probably safer
Good idea, a rear tank of an older F-Series will fit on the Toyota trucks and older 4Runners with leaf springs. Not sure about the late models with the linked rear suspension.

You can buy those tanks brand new from LMC truck, might be something worth looking into, BurbanAZ.

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/fd/FDGTK.htm

257100d1154556911-who-used-ford-gas-tank-toyota-dsc05725.jpg

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Good idea, a rear tank of an older F-Series will fit on the Toyota trucks and older 4Runners with leaf springs. Not sure about the late models with the linked rear suspension.

You can buy those tanks brand new from LMC truck, might be something worth looking into, BurbanAZ.

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/fd/FDGTK.htm

257100d1154556911-who-used-ford-gas-tank-toyota-dsc05725.jpg

I haven't been able to find anyone that makes anything but I'll measure and see if something like that will fit, that would be great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94