Full Size - Small Diesels: why so unpopular?

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
The cost of running an EcoDiesel is quite low for me. So far I’m averaging about 22 mpg with the Ram, but on a long trip it’s closer to 26-27. I optioned the 33 gallon fuel tank, which means its not impossible to inch towards the 1000 mile range, which is really a huge selling point for me.

This is indeed a great selling point.
What is the payload of your truck?

Tesoro

I'll add my 2 cents as I have 2 ecodiesels. One is a 2014 Ram1500 with 130k miles. It was stripped of all smog since new and has engine/tranny green diesel tune. I run 285 heavier e rated tires and get 27mpg on hilly windy country roads 60 mph avg. In my hunting grounds I do a 5000 ft elev change on F/S dirt and gravel roads and get 20mpg in 4x4 with avg speed about 20 mpg. This is where it shines. I have had a dozen 3/4 ton diesels, cummins and powerstroke, and went to 1/2 ton once didnt need to tow heavy. 1/2 ton ride is like a cadillac compared to 3/4 ton on and off road. The Ram trucks are basically FIATS and well built.

I bought a new 2016 Grand Cherokee diesel for my wife and now has 60k miles. It gets the low 30's mpg cruising in the 70mph range. We dont do much if any freeways. It is solid feeling, comfortable and crash safe for her.

I would NEVER consider using an ecodiesel for an adventure rig inside or outside of USA. Just to change a waterpump is a 1000 dollar bill with 4.5 hrs of labor! Right now there is a recall on the high pressure pumps and there are none in stock. Last year the turbo coolant hose in my truck sprung a leak. It is the size of an Italian sausage and the cab had to be lifted off the chassis to access it!! It Cost $1860 to change a $60 hose. Setting the outrageous labor bills aside, I would only use an older mechanically simpler vehicle for adventure travel. And gasoline is available everywhere but not so much diesel.

And of course the premium we now have to pay for low sulphur diesel negates much of the fuel economy savings we used to get with diesels. The only thing left to enjoy out of them is the torque.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I like diesel power but can’t have one in my current use pattern. Plus as mentioned other challenges with the 1500 sized rigs like payload impacts and the fact that in mixed use the hybrid matches or beats the diesel, with 30amps of on board power is a huge advantage also. I were buying full sized 1500 sized hands down hybrid gas combo for me.

As for my use pattern I’m a stay at home dad managing multiple properties and hauling kids around town 90% of the time. I would have emissions errors and issues after a year of use in the new diesels.

I’m currently headed to the hardware store for a new faucet and off to get a rental finished up for a new renter, driving a Ford Fusion Energi with a trunk full of tools and painting crap. Just hit 63mpg life time Average for 85,000 miles.

My heavy Tow 8 passenger gasser rig is in the driveway at home. It won’t fit in the garage at the rental… 16-21 mpg with that rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior