Full Size Truck Sliders, Weld or Bolt On and Flatten Pinch Weld or Not?

To bolt or not to bolt

• Bolt On, Leave Pinch Weld As Is

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Bolt On, Flatten Pinch Weld

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Weld On, Leave Pinch Weld As Is

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Weld On, Flatten Pinch Weld

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

EasyDoesIt18

I just picked up a 2018 Power Wagon and will be using it to haul my 19' toy hauler and trail rides around Las Vegas NV and Utah. In preparation for a Moab trip, I'm building a set of sliders and I'm torn between bolt on (see White Knuckle) or welding it directly to the frame with 1/2" flat stock plates and angle supports.

The sliders will double as a step but the main function is to protect the long vulnerable area below the doors.

Additionally is it worth it to flatten the pinch weld so the slider hugs the body more and gives you that extra 3/4" of clearance or am I splitting hairs?

So what have you full size guys done on your newer trucks/suvs?

It should be noted that I don't typically keep trucks longer than 3 years but this one might be different since I bought it new (my first new vehicle).

So the question is:
  1. Bolt On, Leave Pinch Weld As Is
  2. Bolt On, Flatten Pinch Weld
  3. Weld On, Leave Pinch Weld As Is
  4. Weld On, Flatten Pinch Weld

Thanks for your input.

0120181541_HDR.jpg

Resized952018012095150653953972.jpg

Resized952018012095143609951819.jpg

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
That's one thing I've always wondered about White Knuckle's Ram 2500/3500 sliders. Everyone seems to think that their quality is great, but I've heard some people question if they will stay in place (when used as intended) due to how they are bolted to the frame (they're basically connected the same way many leaf springs are connected to rear truck axles).

I think some of White Knuckle's LandCruiser sliders are connected the same way; I've never heard of any serious complaints from owners who have those sliders. The Ram 2500 is a much heavier platform though. At the very least, the slider should be capable of supporting part of the vehicle's weight when lifted with a hi-lift. But I don't know who has actually done that with a Ram 2500/3500.

White Knuckle is pretty much the only name in town for 3/4 ton sliders, and I've heard a lot of people giving them good reviews. I'm interested to see what others say on this.

Awesome truck by the way OP.

Last edited:

bmhenry

I know I am a new member here, but I wanted to add that I have the White Knuckle sliders on my PW, a 2017. I will tell you, you can support the entire weight of the truck from one side with a jack. I understand what people are saying about leverage on the frame, however, I have to disagree that it will twist/bend it. when using the slider the entire weight of is dispersed the length of the slider on 4 or 5 contact points where it bolts to the frame. Therefore, I would assume, any leverage applied to the frame is divided = amount of points. also the slider mounts are designed to even "if" they were to shift, they would bottom out on the bolts at least a good 1/2 in away from the bottom of the rocker. I am very happy with the quality of the product I bought; but am no way trying to persuade your decision. Just trying to provide more information is all. Just remember its body armor, just like ballistics, its not bullet proof. :elkgrin:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
On Toyota pickups and 4Runners some of us would leave the pinch seam alone and actually position a horizontal element directly under it so that if the slider did flex it would become a stressed member. If the Dodge seam is similar I bet vertically it's fairly strong. Not strong enough to fully support the truck of course but enough to prevent the slider from flexing further.

Notice this (this is a fella named Roger Brown's 4Runner). It works well, probably because the whole seam is used, though.

4C_mounted_mid.jpg

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Go to the Power Wagon Forum for the straight scoop. Lots of first hand reports about various sliders on PW's, both commercial and home-fabbed.

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/viewforum.php?f=2

The Dodge factory sliders (when they were available) were all bolt-on, and Dodge advised against welding the PW frame, because (at least on the 3Gs) it is not the same frame as on other 2500s. The PW is built to flex more than the standard 2500, so that probably has something to do with the welding caution. Having said that, a lot of PW's have welded sliders. Whatever you do, don't screw with the pinch weld. Not only will you screw up the paint (which you are concerned about anyway), but you will significantly weaken the rocker structure if you flatten those welds. Basic engineering 101.

There was a lot of PW slider discussion on DodgeTalk.com, and I think they still have 3G and 4G PW subforums, but I have not been there for years.

Aluminess makes a lot of sense for a PW, because the truck is pretty heavy to start with, and all the mods add up.

Explorerinil

Observer
That's one thing I've always wondered about White Knuckle's Ram 2500/3500 sliders. Everyone seems to think that their quality is great, but I've heard some people question if they will stay in place (when used as intended) due to how they are bolted to the frame (they're basically connected the same way many leaf springs are connected to rear truck axles).

I think some of White Knuckle's LandCruiser sliders are connected the same way; I've never heard of any serious complaints from owners who have those sliders. The Ram 2500 is a much heavier platform though. At the very least, the slider should be capable of supporting part of the vehicle's weight when lifted with a hi-lift. But I don't know who has actually done that with a Ram 2500/3500.

White Knuckle is pretty much the only name in town for 3/4 ton sliders, and I've heard a lot of people giving them good reviews. I'm interested to see what others say on this.

Awesome truck by the way OP.
I got a set of white knuckle sliders, they clamp to the fram and have gussets on the mounts, they won’t go anywhere. My only complaint is randomly they squeak and make a horrible noise, once I think I got it solved, it comes back.

Dalko43

Explorer
The Dodge factory sliders (when they were available) were all bolt-on, and Dodge advised against welding the PW frame, because (at least on the 3Gs) it is not the same frame as on other 2500s. The PW is built to flex more than the standard 2500, so that probably has something to do with the welding caution. Having said that, a lot of PW's have welded sliders.

The PW frame is different from the regular 2500/3500 frame? That's the first time I've heard that.

EasyDoesIt18

Thanks for all the responses, some good discussions. I'm defiantly leaning towards bolt on but I like the simplicity of weld on.

Also, based on responses and more research it sounds like doing anything intentional to the pinch weld is a bad idea.

Go to the Power Wagon Forum for the straight scoop. Lots of first hand reports about various sliders on PW's, both commercial and home-fabbed.

I registered a couple weeks ago but was unable to get verified until yesterday. I've read several builds on the registry and a couple of the ones where guys built there own sliders. I will post on that site as well but wanted to get the consensus from other full size rigs that weigh 7,000+ lbs.

Last edited:

Wirebrush

Observer
I built my own sliders for my 16 Power Wagon myself. Mine are very similar to the WK sliders. They bolt on. I would recommend against welding to the factory frame. I built mine with a small gap between the rectangular main tube and the rockers. If the weight of the truck should land on the sliders hard enough to flex the frame and/or mounts the main tube will evenly distribute the excess force across the length of the rocker pinch seam.

TommyG

Adventurer
I got a set of white knuckle sliders, they clamp to the fram and have gussets on the mounts, they won't go anywhere. My only complaint is randomly they squeak and make a horrible noise, once I think I got it solved, it comes back.

This is a known issue with them. The cause is usually the mounting plates are a little too long and make contact with the underside of your cab. It comes and goes and is enough to make you crazy. Take a good look at them and I bet you find one or more making contact. Lots of guys have dropped the sliders and hit them all with a grinder to take them down a little. Hit them with a little paint and mount them back up.

I love mine. I would not be afraid of the full weight of the truck coming down on them. They are bomber.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94