Full size winch bumpers

Chorky

Observer
I'm getting closer to getting front and rear bumpers. '97F350 CCLB (with shackle flip, so front bumper mounting is not 'factory'. Current thoughts.

Front:
Full size winch bumper from buckstop - considering the Outback - high potential for animal collisions and really don't want to destroy my truck with so much that has been invested in it

Rear:
buckstop (runnel) rear winch bumper with dual tire carriers - tires are currently in the bed, but planning on a flatbed with boxes within a year and want to keep bed storage space open for a quad or other stuff (and still be able to tow my trailer)

Looking for community input and thoughts. From my research, buckstop seems to be the better quality option compared to others, and the only option I have found that offers tire carriers. Are you happy with buckstop? Are there other manufacturers to consider for my application? Any issues/concerns associated with their manufacturing, quality, or fit?

180out

i installed buck stop front and rear on my 01 F350 in 02, they have seen a lot of miles and abuse ( pushing stuck forklifts out of the mud is just one memory) the fit and finish still look great to this day.

60beforetruck

I have been running a buckstop on the front for about 10 years. Just got a Trail ready last week for the rear. Going to add dual rear swing outs. I could only get swing outs on the runnel and the price doubled.
I have been happy with the buckstop.

As for the trail ready rear, fittment to the truck was on the money. Small detail, both shackle mounts are not straight. I ordered it in bare steel knowing I was going to be welding on it some more.

FYI: Buckstop, Trailready, and Runnel are all made in the same place.

Attachments

• 20190313_184503.jpg
    20190313_184503.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 83
  • 20190309_182943.jpg
    20190309_182943.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 86

bas157

I've got a rear Buckstop on my '05 F250. Seems very strong, just a base model one (no swingout, shackle mounts or anything, just holes for lights) Had a front and rear for a Dodge that were very nice as well. The front seems like it would pretty much destroy any cars being made now and would do a world of hurt to an animal. I ended up with a TJM on my front just because it was the first used one I could find locally of the brands I wanted which were Buckstop, ARB or TJM.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I was looking at Buckstop, but wound up with an ARB modular.

It popped up locally for sale and I snagged it up cheap. Couldnt be happier.

Loads of protection, awesome factory fogs + provisions for lighting, uses OEM tow hooks,
designed to not effect crumple zones/air bag deployment, and makes a 15k winch seem small :ROFLMAO:

Any idea how much the buckstops weigh for a full-size? The ARB is a fine piece that doesn't weigh a lot. (roughly 225#)
Incredible amount of engineering into this bumper, making it stout without (much) added weight over stock.

46536905185_ca9245e2a4_b.jpg

Last edited:

Chorky

Observer
Any idea how much the buckstops weigh for a full-size? The ARB is a fine piece that doesn't weigh a lot. (roughly 225#)
Incredible amount of engineering into this bumper, making it stout without (much) added weight over stock.

that looks pretty slick. I have checked before but never was able to find an ARB for the OBS though... As they are some nice products. The Buckstop series have different material options. Carbon steel, or an alumnium option (where its just really the outer corners that are alum, and SS). They range from 200-300#'s or so I belive, last time I checked. But put a winch on top of that, and a bracket for a plow and it gets heavy fast. It does max the 'factory' rating for the axle, but I dont know that there is a way around it. Unless plopping the obs body on a 6.7 frame hahahha

BajaSurfRig

I have been kind of digging the rock solid front winch bumpers recently.

I am hoping to find a used Ruenel on craigslist for a fraction of the price...

Chorky

Observer
I have been kind of digging the rock solid front winch bumpers recently.

I am hoping to find a used Ruenel on craigslist for a fraction of the price...
Yeah you know I just was looking at those the other day as well. They seem to be basically like a copy of the Runnel's though... Maybe some sort of internal company split? I find it interesting that buckstop and runnel are basically the same company. Makes me wonder I guess. But certainly a contender I think. I do like buckstops 'outback' series just for ultimate in protection from elk.. that's really my main concern and desire for a bumper....

Are there any options of mounting a winch that don't cost $1200 or more?
Yeah for sure. I think a winch hidden behind the factory bumper with just a winch mounting plate would be significantly cheaper since some of these bumpers are over $2K. But...as mentioned above my concern is elk/deer at night. which would total the truck. And I've invested a lot of time an money into it. Though a bumper wouldn't stop all damage, I would think it would be significantly less than no bumper...and not result in a total. Although, frame damage with a stout bumper is a concern with that route.... Which is also a reason I am planning to massively over-do the lighting situation. I want absolute ZERO possibility of an impact due to 'oh I didn't see it was too dark' sorta deal

Sure, you can get a 2” front receiver and winch cradle.
So animal impact concern aside, I really am not a fan of these. I think they would work fine in straight line pulls...but for me, the purpose behind a winch is significant use. Of course self recovery is possible, but more likely will be recovering someone else in a search & rescue situation, or moving large trees off a road after bucking, or the unfortunate event that I slide off the road with a 10K# trailer..... I think even with a normal truck sitting at 8K#'s, if you had a receiver mounted winch, with a 45 degree line pull.....man that makes me sweat thinking about it. I don't think that receiver would hold up to that amount of stress. I'm no materials engineer, and I don't have CAD to work with, but I just don't like the way that feels to be honest.... Maybe someone with some experience there can chime in?

Buckstop in Aluminum is on my wish list.
That's kinda the route I'm thinking.... but man...spendy! And then theres the rear winch bumper to add as well, with carriers to get the tires out of the bed of the truck.

Thank's all for the input thus far :)

tmacc

Well, even though I received it a couple of months ago, I finally got my Buckstop Classic 2 aluminum bumper installed a couple of days ago. Winter here sort of got in the way. :)

It took about 3 hr. to install it with the help of a neighbor who has good mechanical skill that worked well with mine. I also installed a 17,500 lb. winch. It went somewhat smoothly. One of the frame brackets didn't didn't fit very well and it took the usual multi step assault to get it into position. Whether it was BS or Ford, we didn't bother to figure who was at fault. (Leaning towards Ford) There were two sets of bolts that were too short. The (6) hex bolts that fasten the bracket to the the frame from the top were too short for supplied lock washers. We used thread lock. The bolts that fasten the fog light L-angle bracket to the bumper were too short to use at all. I picked some up at HD. FWIW, we did not fasten the "grill guard" to the bumper before installing it as the instructions directed. There's plenty of room to access the fasteners after the bumper is install. That saved about 40-50 lb. We lifted it up w/o a jack and my wife threaded the nuts on the bolts. We used the floor jack to adjust the bumper to the truck sheet metal for fit. Things are a little off in relation to the truck grill. Haven't figured it out yet. You all know that the grill guard is steel, right? I'm fine with it. I had BS weld light bar tabs to the middle horizontal center cross bar for my 21'' light bar. One tab is an 1/8'' higher than the other. Light bar isn't level. I doubt most folks would notice. Still.......(cabinetmaker coming out in me, grrrr)

That said. It's a substantial bumper. It looks good. Welds aren't dimes, but maybe nickels. My main reasoning for purchasing the bumper was to prevent substantial damage to the truck in our coming travels if some wildlife came waltzing out into the road way and could possibly incapacitate the truck. Our friend hit a deer at 70 with his 4x4 Sprinter and it took 3 months to fix it. I don't for a minute think the bumper will not sustain some damage for a hit, but if we can still continue our travels, that's what I'm looking for. I think the fact that the grill guard bolts on could possibly help in not having to replace the whole bumper if we hit some wildlife. After looking at an Aluminess bumper on an E-350 I saw recently, the Buckstop seems more substantial, but that's from a totally quick look at the Aluminess. I still think they look better than BS. BS definitely uses thicker aluminum. 3/8''-1/4'' to 3/16''. No regrets in purchasing it.

Oops. Sorry, tried to post a photo, but t was too large. I'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited:

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Winches and bumper bars are two unconnected subjects.
Fix a winch to your front bumper and it will probably be in the wrong place when you need it.
I have power front and back and can attach the winch to any part of the vehicle. It always "points" in the direction of the cable, so tends not to bunch up on the drum.
It is a Warn 16.5ti.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Good looking bumper! ?

Now get yourself some sort of winch saver.
I use KONG balls ;)

Keeps the wire rope tight on the drum without bending it.
Also keeps the hook from bouncing around making noise.

47452100311_4c2e61c9cd_b.jpg

47498240622_b71e51ce06_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior