Fun question: What other 4x4 would you replace your current Nissan with and why?

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I love my R50, I would buy another should I wreck it. But if I had t

Surprising
  • 2nd Gen Explorer: I've always had this dream of hopping up the 5.0 in one of these, and hoping the AODE will keep itself together. Off road mods are certainly possible, and growing up with a 1st gen, I have fond memories of the nameplate.
  • Mid 90s Suburban: big and powerful, I'd get the 5.7L and play with it. Love the looks of these things for some reason.

I would agree on both of these, the explorers might be a little small but a bulletproof drive-train and you cant go wrong with any Suburban's

Slicky72

Adventurer
Modern unimogs are nothing like that except maybe in cab size which is tight if you are a large bodied individule .

bushnut

Adventurer
if I had to replace my R50 tomorrow....well I'd be looking for another one, but also on the list would be a 2nd gen Isuzu Trooper with the barn doors! just a little bigger than the R50 and built like a tank.
maybe a Mitsubishi Montero 2nd Gen. they look good and have a great reputation. I've only seen a few up here.
4Runner would be on the radar but they want WAY to much for a used one around here.
most likely it would end up being a JEEP Grand Cherokee late 90's early 00 preferably with the straight 6 (it's a tractor engine that goes forever) and the solid front axle.
a little more room and Lots of aftermarket support.

02pathfinder

Observer
This is something I think about a lot. I'm in Indiana, where "overland" really isn't a thing, and every bit of land is private owned. So realistically a station wagon would do what I need. But the idea of more travel has me lurking on here all the time. That being said I'm on R50 #2 and had a 3rd gen 4runner in between(that I didn't care for). Lately I have have been on the fence on modding or buying something else... I think I'm going mod, the QX4.

If I were to change,

4-door Tacoma, is what would best fit me.. Would gladly do a frontier as well.

If $ were no option Sportsmobile for sure.

VW TDI wagon, if I gave up on the "road less traveled"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stioc

Expedition Leader
That's such a great selection of vehicles you guys have come up with.

Land Rovers: while they're no Toyota/Nissan I think the LR3/4 are very capable and much improved Land Rovers and very much fit the definition of an overlanding vehicle. As for the older Discoverys I was never a fan but lately I have found a soft spot for them based on their heritage and why LandRover built them - overlanding. By now their weak spots are well known and can be made to work reliably. Watch this video and tell me you don't feel anything for them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM_Lw6iuYvI

Explorers: I had a '92 back in 99. Solid trucks but what a pain to work on, the engine compartment was a vacuum hoses galore. Though they make a capable budget 4wheeler today similar to the XJs.

90s LandCruiser II: Talk about a rugged, no bells and whistles 4x4. It's no wonder that many military, UN and other such organizations use them. Too bad we don't get them here.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I would agree on both of these, the explorers might be a little small but a bulletproof drive-train and you cant go wrong with any Suburban's

Well since it's usually just me and the gf, not much room is needed haha I just like the cheapness myself.

Also what should be added to my list is a post-facelift XJ hp-Dana 30 etc etc

XPLORx4

Adventurer
If I had to give up my '97 R50, I would replace it with (in order of most affordable to least affordable):

'04 R50 LE: Already familiar with its capabilities, limitations, but also its strengths
'97 Landcruiser 40th anniversary ed: more interior room, solid front axle, more aftermarket support
5th Gen 4Runner (undecided on Trail or Limited Ed): new(er), more room, more modern conveniences, aftermarket support
Sportsmobile: go camping nearly anywhere and not have to pitch a tent!

Slicky72

Adventurer
I am really considering a 4x4 converted van for my next rig. The Xterra is super reliable and I know it inside out but it is getting a tad small for me since getting married and adding another dog to the mix. If we end up having children the small SUV just isn't going to be big enough . :(

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Hmmnnn, well I have some Nissans (old Patrols) but none are my DD.

I know it is supposed to be non-Nissan but for me a 2000-2008 Patrol. It is a non-USA truck so hope that counts! TD42T diesel, 5spd, not white otherwise I don't care how it is outfitted. Just gimmie one to start with as a platform!

Never would touch a Rover. Cool in the utilitarian look but otherwise strongly dislike them. Same for a Jeep.

Since I can't have the Patrol, I am already driving what I would get.

v8 Cruisers for me! That or turbo diesel. Again, besides the Patrols, no other interest in 4wds. Don't like stock Cruiser motors. Wouldn't own any with a stock motor unless I had plans to pull the engine and replace it. Cruisers also the only Toyotas at this point I will own. Had a Tacoma, good truck but way to light duty and cheaply made. Interior is pretty junky, frames weak from the factory, ect ect. Seriously, been sitting here for 5 minutes thinking about what other trucks, can't come up with anything besides Cruisers and Patrols. I must be dense...

Oh wait, I would take an older G-Wagen. Don't think I would buy one unless it was a screaming deal but an older plain jane G, then swap a modern Chevy v8 in it! :)

Cheers

Allof75

Pathfinder
Oh and to my list, I realized I should add:

Jeep Wrangler LJ Rubicon

Mercedes G55 (Gelandewagen) If I hit the lotto of course :sombrero:

Silver dude

Xplorer
Love my current 2001 Xterra but it can be improved.
Dated primitive steering and suspension that needs constant repair and rebuilds.
Not enough power for mountains when loaded with expo gear.
Unrefined loud ride makes long trips more tiring then they need to be.
Could use a little more cargo volume on longer trips.
High mileage

Forth gen 4runner for me. I want to like the 2nd gen Xterra just can't sell myself short when I compare reliability or overall quality.
V8 HP or maybe the V6 do to its good fuel economy.
Smooth riding modern 4 link and coils.
Rack and pinion steering
Power sunroof
Power rear glass
Refinement and luxury
HID headlights
Large expo type aftermarket
Larger cargo volume

Would miss:
The almighty transfer case lever
Manual transmission
Overall rig capability (breakover, approach, departure, angles)
Overall exterior rig size is great when on trail.
No car payment
The memories.

Tappet

Observer
D40 Navara (Frontier) King Cab 6sp, 2.5 turbo diesel now but in 2 or 3 years time seriously considering one of these.

2010-toyota-landcruiser-76-wagon-gxl-70series-roadtestreview-42.jpg

It will see me out.
In a few years time, 5 on the outside they go out production. That's all 70 something series. They will never make a vehicle like this again.

SD_Rider

Jeff
Easy.

I would swap the motor & trans if mine died. 1) it's paid for 2) I don't care if it's dirt/sand/doghair infested. 3) it's different.

Unrealistic: JK Rubicon I think my buddy has 60k into his...I don't want to owe that much to anyone. Currently working to be debt free. His is pretty sweet. I have 2 kids and a dog, so I need the room.
Realistic: 4Runner, any year.

After the R50, I will 100% go IFS. After my scare this weekend at The Slot... Front dropped and since it's a strut suspension and the left was lower than the right, my wheels forcibly yanked hard right. I yanked back and tapped the gas pedal just as my dog slammed into the dash. My buddy told me my rear came up about 6 feet!!! 0_0 Scared the bejeezus out of me. I was so glad the kids weren't with me at that time. FWIW, his Jeep came down and barely noticed the rut that I fell into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz