Fuso 4x4 Camper For Family (looking for suggestions)

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Hello all, I'm looking for the same unicorn many of you are likely looking for. I would like a somewhat off-road capable camper that I could haul my wife and little girl in with relative comfort.

Requirements:

Sleeping area for 3
normal luxuries expected in camper (cooking, heat, power)
Bonus points for shower or bathroom capabilities

We've owned and still own Sprinter vans, multiple Landcruiser configurations and off-road trailers. We are now looking for a little more space than our Sprinter provides (no real bed setup for a toddler) and a slightly more capable off-road truck. I don't need to hit super hard trails, but would like to get off the pavement and camp for a few days off the grid. There is a slight possibility that this vehicle could be our rolling home for a year if the stars align, so I'm really attempting to strike a balance between space, luxury and drivability (no tow vehicle). After spending some time looking at a ton of class B, C and A campers at the RV lot, I'm still left wondering where are the reasonably priced off-road campers?

The final request is this creation can't cost more than a house... While I think Earthroamer's and other rigs are incredible, the $300K price range is not realistic for us.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

The Host Outback Explorer looks interesting and is getting closer to a reasonable price range, but seem to have limited production numbers.

Cheers

Butch

Maninga

Adventurer
I wouldn't call the cab in a Fuso luxury, they need a bit of work to make it comfortable/acceptable. Have upgraded to super singles, parabolics, adding dynamat and new seats next year to make the ride comfortable enough for wife to ride in it. There's no crew cab in the US, makes it interesting to get comfortable seating for 3 in the single cab unless you get an engineered body to carry more people in the back.

An off-the-shelf fuso solution, try Earthcruiser or Sportsmobile/ATW offerings.
DIY build, number of options, seating needs to be looked at carefully
Other option, try XPCamper

Sixinarow

Adventurer
Hello from a fellow Coloradoan! I'm about in the same dilemma you're in.

The Fuso forum may provide better help.

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
Seems like there is quite a market for this magical vehicle. Myself spent the many hours looking for the perfect vehicle. I settled for a 1990 Mercedes 917 truck. I was to take mine through Mexico and South America so new Fuso's and other diesels were out. I was able to purchase one overseas and import it for 20k less than buying a new Fuso. Im putting an XPCamper Cube on the back which costs about $550 per square foot. Im hoping for my final build price to be about the same as a Sportsmobile, but with way more room.

foxhunter

Adventurer
I think GXV has a 1988 Mercedes 1017 with GXV body for $215k, probably negotiable. It is on their website. They are also starting to make a cheaper expedtion vehicle using the LMTV in 4x4 or 6x6, altered to give 70mph road speed. 3 passenger U500's are comfortable enough for three, but their prices are going up and up.
As Diplostrat suggested, if you want a new vehicle, the Tiger seems to be the way to go if you want to pay < $300k.

thebigblue

Adventurer
Lots of old Mercedes, MAN and IVECO (and also Unimogs) former firetrucks to buy in Germany, a few large double cabs with seating for 9 persons, most will have only some 30,000 km on them... prices starts at EUR 10,000 for an early 80'.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Appreciate the ideas guys! The toughest part here is balancing the expense with NEEDED capability. We'll need to keep the expenses down if we want this vehicle to be our primary residence for a while, but we'll also need enough space and amenities to make the journey bearable.

A perplexing challenge to say the least.

Butch

:beer:

david506th

Adventurer
You can always just get a Crew-Cab Isuzu or Fuso then upfit it with better tires, suspension and do some heavy self-extraction winches front and back plus the necessary equipment. I would really look hard at this if I was to do it all again. 90% of camping travels can be gotten too with 2wd and a better suspension outfit will make clearance better. My point that I am designing our travel by is that we are too big for the casual recovery by jeep or such, so I need to always consider a way out or do not go down that trail.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
We are close to a deal! Hopefully it finalizes in the next few days and I can share our new adventure mobile with those of you that helped us make our decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles