fuso 4x4 rebuild

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
John
I carry my v strom on a custom bike loader on the back, its got pretty wide bars and ive got it as far back as possible without compromising balance for loading
not a great deal of room between the bike and wall even for the 7.50
the monsters alan has on his beast will take up heaps of space
I carry my spare between cab and body the additional room leaves me space for tool box, jerry cans and boat fuel tank

Hey Stu...would you like to do start a seperate thread on your truck and show how your boat loader and bike rack operates, how you've got the back of the truck set up and maybe even the van on the back ???? ......looks pretty interesting. Just so Alan's thread doesn't get too cluttered.

Alan's TW 200 might offer a little more room. The TW handlebars are probably similar width to the Strom but the fuel tank would be half the width.....I think my Vstrom tank must be somewhere between 500mm and 600mm wide. Would that be right??

John.

Last edited:

alan

Explorer
Wow Alan. Really coming along now. What are your plans for the motor?

If your throwing a fat little TW up the back, the wheels might be best there too. That'll make use of the space between the bike and the back wall as a result of the handlebar width. Maybe overall you won't loose as much space if you do that. Then you can also utilise the same lifting arrangement for the wheels as well as the bike. I like those winch arm set ups for dragging the bike up a ramp and possibly a ramp might be all you need for those light wheels of yours anyway.....just a thought. Again >> looks great.

Regards John.

Hi John,
well the motor will be blue printed balanced etc, major head work, turbo with the intercooler, 3" exhaust and a lot of boost:Wow1:

I could possibly make the bike rack and wheel carrier all one unit still undecided on that one.

whatcharterboat

Hi Alan,

I could possibly make the bike rack and wheel carrier all one unit still undecided on that one.

Yeah....have done that before....well we did a hydraulic double wheel lifter and then the customer later added the extra bike rack and an outboard too. The whole frame went up and down on a ram with a remote control and then locked back on to the body with a shipping container door latch. The bike was a Rokon Trailbreaker....cool thing to ride....they're 2wd. The TW200's are cool though....is it a Yamaha or one of those Chinese VRetro 250 copies?

well the motor will be blue printed balanced etc, major head work, turbo with the intercooler, 3" exhaust and a lot of boost:Wow1:

:Wow1: x 2!! I met a guy the other day....just fitted a bigger turbo to his 649......same type just a bigger version and had a custom chip (realise yours won't need that) with gas injection and full 3" zorst but the power he was getting at the wheels so far was incredible!!! See the dyno sheet below. This is in a FG 649 crewcab with a large pantec style camper on the back...big peak over the cab and everything and he and all his mates then tow a full size car trailer loaded with quads and bikes out to their usual campsite in the soft sand dunes somewhere south of Perth. It'll certainly be interesting to hear how yours develops with all that internal work done as well!!

joes canter dyno.jpg

Regards John.

Last edited:

blackduck

Explorer
would you like to do start a seperate thread on your truck and show how your boat loader and bike rack operates, John.[/QUOTE]

John
id love to - love showing off
there are a few pics of the truck, van combo on my profile
ill get some detailed pics of bike and boat loader and post them
WRT the bike loader some have said i should patent it (obviously its agood idea) but im happy for anyone to borrow the concept after all it was made with my 4" grinder and super shoe box welder in a caravan park. If i had a workshop like you guys or alan at my disposal i could do a propoer job of it.
The boat loader is just an off the shelf rhino rear loader modified so it rolls on bearings to get it to the back of the truck, so i cant claim any glory there

alan

Explorer
Hi Alan,

Yeah....have done that before....well we did a hydraulic double wheel lifter and then the customer later added the extra bike rack and an outboard too. The whole frame went up and down on a ram with a remote control and then locked back on to the body with a shipping container door latch. The bike was a Rokon Trailbreaker....cool thing to ride....they're 2wd. The TW200's are cool though....is it a Yamaha or one of those Chinese VRetro 250 copies?

:Wow1: x 2!! I met a guy the other day....just fitted a bigger turbo to his 649......same type just a bigger version and had a custom chip (realise yours won't need that) with gas injection and full 3" zorst but the power he was getting at the wheels so far was incredible!!! See the dyno sheet below. This is in a FG 649 crewcab with a large pantec style camper on the back...big peak over the cab and everything and he and all his mates then tow a full size car trailer loaded with quads and bikes out to their usual campsite in the soft sand dunes somewhere south of Perth. It'll certainly be interesting to hear how yours develops with all that internal work done as well!!

View attachment 84920

Regards John.

Mine's a genuine yamaha tw200, building motors is my favourite hobby so be prepared:coffeedrink: definately no gas for my engine its a time bomb waiting to explode, also don't believe all dyno dynamics dyno sheets they can be fudged to read what ever the operator wants.

Amesz00

Adventurer
I met a guy the other day....just fitted a bigger turbo to his 649......same type just a bigger version and had a custom chip (realise yours won't need that) with gas injection and full 3" zorst but the power he was getting at the wheels so far was incredible!!! See the dyno sheet below. This is in a FG 649 crewcab with a large pantec style camper on the back...

yea i know the fella, short guy but real funny guy. last time i spoke to him it was just gas, exhaust + chip with stock turbo running 16psi, like mine. wonder what boost its pushing now.. fattest tyres in the world on it.. think they were 385s or something. not very tall though, only bout 33".. as he said to me, its set up for sand and beach work.

whatcharterboat

fattest tyres in the world on it.. think they were 385s or something. not very tall though, only bout 33".. as he said to me, its set up for sand and beach work.

I reckon...here's one of them here. >>>>
joes tyres.jpg

Mine's a genuine yamaha tw200, building motors is my favourite hobby so be prepared

Yeah.....looking forward to seeing the thing done...I think quite a few of us will.

BTW I'm sure you saw the thread on the new XTW 250 Yamaha concept the guys in the bike section of this forum were talking about?

here if you didn't>> http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/70276-Yamaha-introduces-XTW250

Last edited:

alan

Explorer
I reckon...here's one of them here. >>>>
View attachment 85013

Yeah.....looking forward to seeing the thing done...I think quite a few of us will.

BTW I'm sure you saw the thread on the new XTW 250 Yamaha concept the guys in the bike section of this forum were talking about?

here if you didn't>> http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/70276-Yamaha-introduces-XTW250

Yeep seen that bike looks great!! I want one! I'm off the the motorcycle expo in Taiwan so it may be there:wings:

whatcharterboat

I'm off the the motorcycle expo in Taiwan so it may be there

Wow. Hope you can get some pics for the bike section of the forum. I reckon there'll be plenty of dual sport gear there this year. Regards John.

Mit Fuso

New to forum Brain picker

I'm trying this out to get my sea legs on this forum. If this is wrong, send me packing, but I'm so impressed with the skills here . . . well, here goes:

I recently bought a 1990 Fuso FG. I'm in San Diego USA, and I travel mostly in NA, mostly in the USA Southwest. I'm trying to figure out how to approach a few mods and IF I should attempt them. I'll try one question first:

1. Winch and installation. There are holes cut into the channel-iron bumper in front of the intercooler, apparently for air flow. Do I need to worry about interrupting air flow to the intercooler with a winch installation? Any comment about the best winch, the necessary capacity, synthetic braided "cable," best kind of installation, sand/ground anchor, problems?

Thanks!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I would suggest starting your own thread as this one is specifically for Alan's build project.
Ask all of the questions you want... there are many people on this forum with excellent skills and knowledge who I am sure will try and help you out.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Ive also been fabricating my tow bar
As strong as yours looks Steve, just be aware that tow bars in Australia have to be certified and be fitted with a compliance plate in order to be "legal".

Last edited:

JRhetts

Adventurer
I have not decided on where to mount spare wheels as yet, behind cab, or behind camper or on the side, i have a yamaha tw200 i want to mount on the back.

Sorry my reply is so late, but here is my solution to a pair of spares and a TW200 on the back of my Fuso FM260.

My response is a little delayed, but here is my solution to spares and a TW200 on my FusoFM260:

2 mounted spares on the winch-operated lift

m-c rack.1.jpg

Attachment 87697

lift down, rectangles for TW tires in foreground

m-c rack.2.jpg

TW in the slots, ready to lift the rack

m-c rack.3.jpg

tires and TW up and ready to hit the road. TW is secured to rack [unnecessary, but I do it] by two bolts thru the footpegs into nuts welded into the top of the 2 uprights. VERY SECURE!!

m-c ack.4.jpg

cheers!! John

Edit- I got a number of requests for more information, so I have created a new thread:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77493-Fuso-FM260-Rear-Rack-tires-and-m-c

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier