Fuso ambulance box!

canter tourer

Adventurer
I assume you're in usa? Mines an Aussie version that I fitted to the canter, take a look in my thread.:)
Dave

• Love
Reactions: mog

Mgblandcruiser

024f47bcf81ad317d5c88ac7e12b8d42.jpg

As requested. I’m in Canada. Crestline ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mgblandcruiser

Hell yea dude! Any chance we can get some info on the install? My box looks like I'm going to have to do significant cutting on the underside

Hi there. The install: the main obstacles were at the front of the cellule as we say in French. The diesel tank was deleted and one was fabbed in between frame rail at back. A bit of cutting to clear the dpf stuff not much and cutting for rear wheel contour. The rest mounted on new subframe fairly easily, nothing fancy and it performs well. Cheers
527ec54c49e821be08fd4df24bb66e84.jpg

Railvan

Adventurer
This is a dream combo for me: FG and Ambulance box! I would love to know more about this truck. How did you mount the box? Did you use a subframe? Is it solidly mounted to the chassis or a three point mount? Thanks for sharing your photo!

Hodor

Looks like a subframe with the box mounted above. I think we would all love as many pictures as youre willing to share.

My 2012 has an 11" frame drop 4' behind the cellule (am i using that right?) After the transmission, and in order to keep the box as low as i can on the frame i want to cut and raise the front of the box before installing.

Doing this is absolutely doing things the hard way, but my box is larger than yours (14x8) and i think it will be greatly beneficial in the long run to have the box potentially 6-10" lower.

Mgblandcruiser

Looks like a subframe with the box mounted above. I think we would all love as many pictures as youre willing to share.

My 2012 has an 11" frame drop 4' behind the cellule (am i using that right?) After the transmission, and in order to keep the box as low as i can on the frame i want to cut and raise the front of the box before installing.

Doing this is absolutely doing things the hard way, but my box is larger than yours (14x8) and i think it will be greatly beneficial in the long run to have the box potentially 6-10" lower.

Yes subframe takes the shape of the gooseneck in essence and box sits at highest point. Mine is also the 2012. I can’t remember off hand the total height to the first inside step ~
c8868de8623366915b80024ba6cddbcd.jpg

36’’ I’ll post of few pics here in a few days. Ps: my box (cellule) is also 14’ Cheers

Hodor

Yes subframe takes the shape of the gooseneck in essence and box sits at highest point. Mine is also the 2012. I can’t remember off hand the total height to the first inside step ~
c8868de8623366915b80024ba6cddbcd.jpg

36’’ I’ll post of few pics here in a few days. Ps: my box (cellule) is also 14’ Cheers

So excited to see this!!

DzlToy

Explorer
Why would you buy an ambulance box and transplant it onto a Fuso or Canter? Ambulance boxes are really good at what they do, but they are incredibly heavy and complicated and generally require quite a bit of modification in order to work as a camper box. With the exception of the larger, MDT-based boxes, most are too short to stand in. Add insulation, sound damping, a bed, cabinets and other mod-cons, and you have a very cramped space.

A commercial cargo box or simple DIY box is a much better choice, IMO. A 13' long x 6.5' wide x 6.5' tall composite shell weighs about 500 - 600 pounds. I would 'assume' that an aluminum ambulance box weighs several times this amount.

$0.02

Mgblandcruiser

Why would you buy an ambulance box and transplant it onto a Fuso or Canter? Ambulance boxes are really good at what they do, but they are incredibly heavy and complicated and generally require quite a bit of modification in order to work as a camper box. With the exception of the larger, MDT-based boxes, most are too short to stand in. Add insulation, sound damping, a bed, cabinets and other mod-cons, and you have a very cramped space.

A commercial cargo box or simple DIY box is a much better choice, IMO. A 13' long x 6.5' wide x 6.5' tall composite shell weighs about 500 - 600 pounds. I would 'assume' that an aluminum ambulance box weighs several times this amount.

$0.02

$0.02

I hear you but here are a few reasons why this made sense to me

1. Could not find a local decent cube
2. Cheap, pre ambo craze these were almost the same price as a used cube. I’m guessing 5-6 times cheaper than alternatives
3. Nice entry door and hardware throughout, industrial strength
4. Nice storage boxes here and there including a long “ski” box and inside outside access ones
5. Lots of electrical repurposed including led ceiling lights (my box is a 2017 involved a crash shortly after)
6. Size works for fuso (and me I’m 5’ 8”)
7. Back doors make nice garage doors and view point of view from bed
8. Cabinets work for me
9. Accommodates side to side bed nice
10. Can re-mount if required but hope my 2012 fuso continues to perform

All the best for 2022 and lots of Fuso camping and expeditions

Hodor

$0.02
My ambulance box is 14x8 with full aluminum construction and studs at 12" making it bombproof, and the weight distinction is unimportant when mounting into a 14k rated rig. I also have 6' of headroom in mine and more outside storage than I know what to do with. They also used to be quite cheap....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier