Fuso Canter versus Isuzu

birdirt

G'day all,

I have never owned a truck, but I am looking to purchase a Canter FG 1995 model, with very low kms (under 30K).

Besides all the points noted already, my thinking behind choosing such an old vehicle is that it would be easier to repair myself, or have repaired in remote locations.

I would very much appreciate any advice regarding choosing an old vehicle like this one, and what advantages/disadvantages there are.

Thanks very much.

ebbs

Observer
I know this is an OLD thread, but just want to say thanks for the good information. I plan on building a fuso here in a couple years (gotta get out of the military first) and I'm in the research phase. hopefully I won't have to start too many new threads asking questions with all these old threads with tons of info in them :beer:

Sandexplorer

After many years lurking in the background I keep coming back to this old thread. I am thinking about upgrading my work truck with a view to building a camper body for it. I have decided it will be an NPS300 but still debating whether I should go for a later model with DPF or an older model without the emissions control gear. Now that the DPF has been around for a while (and its not going away), should I accept that its the way the world is going and hopefully aftermarket components for the emissions control gear that's now coming onto the market will keep the prices reasonable.
There is no doubt the later models are more comfortable and better finished. If I'm going to spend big money on wheels and suspension upgrade, I feel I would be better off putting it into a later model vehicle with much lower KM's. Its also hard finding an early model with low mileage at a reasonable price.
Have peoples view changed on the later technologies and does one manufacturer have a better track record than the other when it comes to emissions control gear?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Personally, I think the person who came up the the concept of the EGR should have been slapped by the side of the head.
Yes, it may reduce NOX levels, but it also has a detrimental effect on the engine and power output.
For the most part, you can block these off, but DPF systems are much more difficult to circumvent. RFS trucks have been know to start grass fires when the DPF decided it was time to do a regen. Just saying....

Sandexplorer

Personally, I think the person who came up the the concept of the EGR should have been slapped by the side of the head.
Yes, it may reduce NOX levels, but it also has a detrimental effect on the engine and power output.
For the most part, you can block these off, but DPF systems are much more difficult to circumvent. RFS trucks have been know to start grass fires when the DPF decided it was time to do a regen. Just saying....

I agree the EGR is easily overcome but the DPF not so. The fire risk while travelling in spinifex country is one of our biggest concerns in any vehicle- an unplanned regen of the DPF could be catastrophic. Maybe if there were more fires caused by DPF vehicles they may consider exemptions for cross country vehicles. The risk is they may close off areas to DPF vehicles.

Unfortunately there are not many alternatives. Its hard finding a low km pre 2007 NPS. I also have to admit I do like the flat chassis and other enhancements the post 2008 models have.

BradK

Just a comment on the EGR. On the current model Canter engine, which I think has been around for a few years, it has a mechanically driven centrifugal filter. This spins the oil out of the air stream and seems to prevent carbon build up in the manifold. I got this information from an Iveco Daily owners website. I’m pretty sure the Iveco engine is fundementally the same as the Canter.

I’m not sure if the Isuzu has something similar or would benefit from a catch can style oil separator / filter.

Cheers

Brad

Mr Rehab

Traveller
Sorry for the delay, been travelling. My truck had the DPF removed (plus EGR disabled and 20% power boost) at Patchworks Engine Tuning near Linz, Austria in 2015. Cost was about $1200 AUD all up.

One issue at first was possibly inadequate fuel pressure/flow - there was an 'engine miss' of sorts. I say possibly because the tuner had almost no English and I couldn't get a clear answer. Problem was resolved with an adjustment to the reflash of the ECU. Friend and I had the same work done and we've since covered around 55,000km each without any problems. Fuel consumption showed a slight, about 1L/100km, improvement though I don't check it closely.

I knew of a couple of workshops in Aus that I had contact with around then - I'll pm you details.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste