Fuso failure, help!

DerryNH

Hi , I'm new to the portal.
In the past I've used this site for inspiration.
I bought a used 99 Fuso Fe-sp and got it running last year. Made myself a utility body, camper, parade vehicle
Up until blowing a piston it was a bit of a smoker. Now at least I know why it was smoking. Previous owners must have fried the pistons. (in hind sight I should have pulled the head to inspect it)

With a new sleeve and pistons and a near over haul I was optimistic at the start of the year with NO SMOKE !!

However after a short trial period , I ran into what seemed like pump issues.

I lost power on a hill and the engine stalled out. I was towed home after only one week of mild usage breaking her in.

NO warning lights came on. No code shows up on self diagnostics. No fuel problem that I can find. I even changed my injection pump filters and blew out lines.
Both original pump and the new pump, my spare will not start vehicle and the servo whines like its stuck on. Again no warning lights or code.

The new pump is brand new rebuild and does same as old one which may not have an issue since they both act the same.

I can turn it over and it rumbles like it has a smidgen of fuel but will not fully engage.

This has the 4d34 four cylinder diesel in it with zexel pump.

Beyond a full diagnostic back at a dealership has anyone ever had this issue. It seems as though I may be hunting for something that shut off the pump or some electrical issue causing the pump to lock out. I am dumb founded having fuel pressure everywhere but not being delivered to injectors.

Any old sages out there that have experience with a Fuso FE injection system?

DzlToy

Explorer
Do you have fuel at the injectors? If not, you need to bleed the entire system from the tank all the way up to the injector and get ALL of the air out.

On the 4M50 trucks there is an evil little piece of $hit device on the passengers side frame rail that is used to bleed air out of the lines. It also holds a sensor and the gigantic fuel filter. So anytime the filter is checked or changed, you have to go through this nightmare.

There is a detailed procedure in the Owner's Manual for the 4M50 trucks and as long as you follow it EXACTLY, including filling the canister COMPLETELY with diesel before putting it back on. the process is relatively painless. It takes about half an hour and having a second pair of hands is a big help, though you can do it by yourself.

kerry

Expedition Leader
What does 'servo' refer to? Do you have fuel at the injectors if you crack the lines and try to start it? Have you done a compression check since this happened? Are the glow plugs working? Did you fill the new fuel filter with fuel before installing it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94