Fuso FG/FE 2001 vs 2002 what are the differences - Single to Double/Crew Cab Swap

Mizifizo

In a nutshell, anyone have any idea if the cab design or linkages changed between 2001 and 2002, or where these kinds of details are documented? I'm currently rooted in North America where Crewcab FG's are unavailable, but my boys are growing and there's no point in building a rig if they don't fit in the cab. I have a promising opportunity to pick up an 02 FE Crewcab body with chassis mounts and longer intake parts for converting my 01 FG into a 4-door. Both are Auto Trans. Some research indicates a high likelihood that within a particular year the crewcab only added cab length, fixed rear mounts (4x), lack of torsion assembly inside the forward cab tilt mount... and should otherwise be swappable (same linkages btw cab-chassis). By outward appearances the styling and dimensions between 2001 and 2002 FG and FE are the same, so...? For some reason the manuals (including body builder's) group the years 1996 - 2001 and 2002-2004. Since they look the same, what changes were implemented? Trying to minimize the potential for an unfortunate investment. Any sage advice is greatly appreciated! As well as qualified ruminations...

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm pretty sure that the frame rails are closer together on the fg than the fe, and of course the fg frame is stepped.

Earthcruiser has announced that the will be selling a 4x4 crew cab fuso in 2020, maybe check with them?

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Mizifizo

Over the coming year I should be able to document the feasibility of using a 02 FE Crewcab on a 2001 FG frame, as I have just jumped in and purchased the crew cab donor this week. Regarding frame width, measurements on both trucks indicate that they are primarily quite similar if not identical in many portions, which makes a lot of sense. Ideally I'd have started with an 02 FG for the 02 Crew Cab but on a small budget you have to take what comes along when it does and make it work. So far I've noticed that the crew cab mounts will land about 3 inches behind where the frame on the FG begins to drop. Not too bad, actually... I look forward to having only a flat frame for planning the tray configuration. I haven't found any documentation of this cab swap and hope to share details of the many pains and any triumphs along the way. I've read some opinions recently that discourage me from thinking that there are any power or mileage benefits to trying to swap over the FE's bigger 4m50, but I would still be curious to hear other opinions. Also not sure if swapping over the heavier rear end from the FE640 (FE-SP actually) would be a benefit or even feasible - FG differential gearing swapped into the FE housing and all? The FG is a 5-lug, only 12+K lbs GVWR. If anyone needs the motor/trans or other FE parts, send me a message. The donor still runs and drives and will be located in Denver.

Mizifizo

Finally got them side by side. After driving the FE-SP about 50 miles from the auction yard, I'm feeling inclined to keep/use the 4M50 1AT2 motor. It offers additional displacement (+1L) and horsepower (+30 HP) over the 4D34. Averaging 55 mph it still got around 12mpg. Both trucks have the same M035A4 Aisin trans, so that might just work without too many issues. Progress and updates on this cab swap will be far and few between, this is the lowest priority project for the next few years, though there's no lack of excitement!
584e91448057fd43ad932f2a80a84cd4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

DzlToy

Explorer
This has been discussed here and over campfires and beers many time. It's good to see someone having a go at it finally.

For the reasons that you mentioned (compatibility, frame, engine, etc.), everyone seems to be scared. I do not believe that these differences are impossible to overcome by any means. The solution could be within the Fuso lineup or a bit of fabrication.

The EC FG crew mentioned above will be a conversion. As I understand it, they are buying new crew cab 2WD trucks and adding Dynatrac axles, a HERO transfer case and some other goodies. This type of conversion has been done by others; as of West, EC did not have a conversion completed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles