Fuso on White Rim Trail

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Guys, I thought I would share with you a bit on my trip on the White Rim Trial (Canyonlands NP).

The FG140 supported the food(beer) and equipment(bottle opener) of 12 firends/family for 5 days (4 camps) of mountain biking the White Rim Trial. This is the 5th time I've done this trip over the last ten years - the previous trips were supported with my Dodge3500 4x4 diesel.

I nearly worked around the clock over the last several weeks to get the Fuso subframe/flatbed ready for the trip. The temporary deck was made of plywood, to which I bolted 2x4's to position/anchor ice-chests, storage boxes, and other equipment. This makes the daily packing of the truck much faster and keeps gear very secure. I couldn't complete everything I hoped to before the trip, but I did manage to mount a custom 55 gallon water tank b/w the truck frame rails. I had hoped to hook up the water pump but ran out of time and used gravity instead. The tank held up nicely and reduced the amount of water jugs I had to carry. The tank was designed to mount as low as possible to keep CG as low as possible. It will later supply water to the camper.

The Fuso performed very well. Even the 20 hour drive out (we took the scenic route) was a pleasure now that there was finally enough weight to soften the ride. The large tires helped the ride and improved the gearing too.

I couldn't be more pleased with it's offroad performance. My Dodge has great low end grunt too, but the Fuso is much much easier to drive through critical sections - better visability and tighter turning radius. I shared driving on the trial with a couple friends (I want to ride too) - both said the Fuso was easier to drive than the Dodge. The ride is still too stiff for my my taste, so some suspension work might be in the future.

The Fuso drew a lot of positive attention from guys on the trail, and even a cute female ranger came into camp seeking the story behind this unusual rig.

here is an unimpressive video . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVtXPIQBRso

Attachments

• WR08_Goos-Murphy.JPG
    WR08_Goos-Murphy.JPG
    336.8 KB · Views: 267

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Very cool!
What was the results in your 3pt subframe testing? Any pics of the set up you are using? How was the performance of the FG140 on the Hwy? MPG, speed, ride, noise, ect.?

haven

Expedition Leader
Bajaroad,

I'm glad to hear you're pleased with the truck so far. Tell us more about the wheel/tire package. What sort of weight capacity do you have now? Did you have any clearance issues?

Chip Haven

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Sweet! so how deep is first and what is low in the case? Sounded like it had a respectable low range coming up that hill.

Bajaroad

Adventurer
More pics

Two of these shots are from Pucker Pass near Dead Horse Point. The Fuso climbed through the one difficult spot without trouble. The Chevy 4x4 got stuck. Ok, ok, the Fuso has much more aggressive tires so not a fair comparison. The limited slip diff on the Fuso performs very well, with the majority of the torque transferring to the non-slippping wheel. On the White Rim, I never needed 4x4 unless I needed 4x4-low range..

-I couldn't be happier with the 3pt design and Barry Mount performance. The Fuso is no Unimog in terms of offroad systems, suspension, etc, but I am impressed with the Fuso's frame flex and offroad ability - afterall this is a delivery truck with a 175K mile warrently
-The Fuso confortably drives at 65-70 on the freeway. The millage definitely is better closer to 60 though. I need to get a speedo check since changing tires, so I don't have an accurate MPG yet. Plus I only have 2700 miles on her, so I suspect it will have to break in before seeing the best performance.
-First gear is 5.175. About 4.75 with the larger tires. I believe 1st-low is about 9.75.
-I reshaped the front of the fender slightly for clearance

Now for the hard part - produce a camper light enough to handle this same trail.

boblynch

Adventurer
Watching the Jeep do the climb puts the Fuso's climb in perspective. Brent what was the ball park load on the Fuso? It sure looks like a great starting point for your camper. Best of luck.

Bajaroad

Adventurer
mucho gear-o

boblynch said:
Watching the Jeep do the climb puts the Fuso's climb in perspective. Brent what was the ball park load on the Fuso? It sure looks like a great starting point for your camper. Best of luck.

Bob,
A not-so-quick estimate for the load . . .

Water: 755lbs
4 cases beer + 2 liters Tequila: about 120lbs
2 XXL coolers: 150lbs X 2: 300lbs
1 med cooler: 40lb
4 X 40lb bags mesquite: 160lbs
11 X 60lb camping gear/clothing duffle bags: 660lbs
11 X 10lb camp chairs: 110lbs
8 X 50lb dry goods boxes for cooking and food: 400lbs
Diamond plate toolbox, tools, hardward, power tools (i brought the kitchen sink): 300lbs
spare tire, stock: 60lb
Misc: laptop, camera gear, compressor, inverter, lights, extra-bike, 5gal propane, sm propane, batteries, laterns, extra stove, outdoor cooker, ground pan, table: 200lbs
hot tub (kidding)
Plywood and lumber and hardware: 250lbs
3pt aluminum sub frame: 400lbs

Grand total: 3700lbs (nearly a jeep rubicon) (the fuso can carry 8000 at GVWR)
450lbs of water was loaded directly on the truck frame. I plan to also load camper batteries low on the truck frame too (maybe a gen too).

My goal is a 5000lb camper including the subframe, so this was a good test.

-Brent

39Ronin

Adventurer
Baja nice rig! What tires are you running? What size are they? I searched but I couldn't find any of your posts that state this info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier