FWC Finch Concept Planning for Short Bed Tacoma

Airmonger

Adventurer
I have an 08 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Short Bed.

Ute Beds makes a 5 foot flat bed and I was thinking of adding a standard FWC finch to the equation.

http://www.uteltd.com/PDF/2013-A6ute-bed-dimensions.pdf C6UTE

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/4493418065.html

I figured just to be able to resell the camper that I would want to shy away from a custom finch flatbed from FWC.

I could used the space between the flatbed and the wheel wells for storage boxes.

I just wanted to get some input from you guys to see if you had any knowledge you could send my way on this concept.

Anybody see any complications from running this setup?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
What's the point of the flat bed?
Aside from the higher cost it may make the truck more difficult to sell, and the camper will sit higher up since the flatbed doesn't sit flat on the frame. This will also increase the gap between the truck cab and the cabover.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'd check your weight. Between the fully wet finch, flatbed, and storage boxes (and stuff inside), you may be overloading the truck.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Go Simple. Check your weights, you prob will be close or overweight with the "wet" camper on your truck with 2 people and some "stuff". You'll have to spend some money beefing up your suspension and getting some E rated tires. Aside from that, get a camper, toss it in the bed and see if it works with your lifestyle. If you like it and foresee using it a bunch, then put some money into storage options and weight savings. With the composite bed, I'm not sure how much lighter an Alum flatbed would be. Yes, more storage but you might not be able to use that storage unless you want to pack feather pillows.

Excited to see what you do though!!!! I have a soft spot for flatbeds.

-jorge

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
That's a pretty good deal for the Finch. Grab it ASAP! Try it out with your truck and see how you like it. You will need to beef up the suspension from stock. You don't have to get too crazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior