FWC rear wall bike mounts

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I was trying to solicit some ideas (pics included) of ways to mount bikes to the back wall of a Four Wheel Camper. I have a hitch mounted bike rack and a Yakima rack on top, but, as there are pitfalls to either setup, I was trying to find others who have made the modification to their FWC to hang their bikes on the back. Also I was interested in the pros and cons from those who have made these modifications.

Thanks in advance.

Desertdave

If you are not familiar with Wander the West, the Four Wheel Camper forum there had a thread or two about this subject, including a tale of theft and recovery of a bike.

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
I'd like to get a hitch mounted with a custom bumper that swings out...I know I couldn't tow anything with it but I could put my 1up USA bike rack on there.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I have a pair of these locking Yakima fork mounts that I intended to mount of the back of the Ursa minor J30.
http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/truck-bed/locking-blockhead

What i would really like to do on a four wheel camper, is mount a cross bar full width on the back wall above the door. And similar tube a few feet below that. You could use any variety of bike racks, snow board/ski racks, strap a trasharoo on it etc.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I'd like to get a hitch mounted with a custom bumper that swings out...I know I couldn't tow anything with it but I could put my 1up USA bike rack on there.

MWE racks (www.mweracks.com) makes a nice adapter that can make a traditional hitch mounted rack a swing out version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1lJ38n2v6k - but I was trying to stay away from that as I have and adventure m/c that I'm thinking about towing from time to time on some type of trailer so I'd prefer to keep the hitch free.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I have a pair of these locking Yakima fork mounts that I intended to mount of the back of the Ursa minor J30.
http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/truck-bed/locking-blockhead

What i would really like to do on a four wheel camper, is mount a cross bar full width on the back wall above the door. And similar tube a few feet below that. You could use any variety of bike racks, snow board/ski racks, strap a trasharoo on it etc.

With the LED rear lights (option) I have on the back I'm slightly limited as this was what I was thinking about doing as well. By bringing down the bar, it would unfortunately block the door. I've also thought about mounting the forks to the top Yakima rack by moving the bar back as far as I could so only the bars/front forks would be above the truck as I went down the road, but that would entail taking the bikes off when I went to put up the camper.

I once saw a hitch mounted bike mount that "folded" up so it was parallel with the back when in transit then you could rotate it down when in camp, but I think the company went out of business. I found a used one in Portland, but it was gone by the time I actually found it.

Last edited:

doctorit

Adventurer
It doesn't look very cool, but add a front mount hitch and use the bike rack you already have.

Fork mounts bolted through a thin camper wall would make me nervous with anything heavier than a carbon road bike.

camper101

Observer
Here's what I did.

I more or less copied Lighthawk's (previously linked) version. There is some discussion about what I learned after putting them on (try to stop the door swinging with a tire...). I still like it. Only thing I'd do different is put some kind of screw-on-able bracket behind the bike mount for mounting various (lightweight) odds and ends when I'm not using it for bikes.

Kispiox at WTW had a rear wall light that he had to deal with if I recall correctly, as well as the theft.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Here's what I did.

I more or less copied Lighthawk's (previously linked) version. There is some discussion about what I learned after putting them on (try to stop the door swinging with a tire...). I still like it. Only thing I'd do different is put some kind of screw-on-able bracket behind the bike mount for mounting various (lightweight) odds and ends when I'm not using it for bikes.

Kispiox at WTW had a rear wall light that he had to deal with if I recall correctly, as well as the theft.

Thanks for the input, and the images.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier