G wagon Rear side window antennas? Radio, GPS, other?

nomada1

Hey guys,
I’m getting ready to install the Front runner outfitters gulwing doors (aluminum ones) on my 2013 G550. There is an antenna in each window that will need to relocated. Does anyone know what this antenna is for? Radio, GPS, some other transmitter / receiver? There is another antenna mounted on the roof at the front as well.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
The antenna in the rear window is for the radio. There should be a small amplifier for the antenna signal mounted just below it.

nomada1

I actually haven’t come up with a plan yet for relocating the antenna. I’m not keen on drilling a hole for a new one through the root
I had the gulwing doors sprayed the same body color. That’s as far as I got.A8B54713-173A-4444-9C2C-8EB8BF39FB19.jpeg

Last edited:

Beat Mumenthaler

Hi Nomada 1, I was wondering if you got any further with your gulwing project. I have indeed the same question, where to relocate the antenna which is the window? Tks for any suggestion.

nomada1

Hi Nomada 1, I was wondering if you got any further with your gulwing project. I have indeed the same question, where to relocate the antenna which is the window? Tks for any suggestion.
I ended up just detaching the cable off of the window but not relocating to a new antenna. I haven’t noticed any issues with picking up radio stations since I live in the Chicago area. Im sure I will notice driving in more remote sections of the country. I’m happy with the install, these were a great addition for the build.
478F1234-ECD7-44F0-B8B7-7E059F152B0D.jpeg

creede

Please do! I was under the impression that the ORC kit was only available as an option with their bumper. I'm curious to hear how it mount and how you like it.

Beat Mumenthaler

I ended up just detaching the cable off of the window but not relocating to a new antenna. I haven’t noticed any issues with picking up radio stations since I live in the Chicago area. Im sure I will notice driving in more remote sections of the country. I’m happy with the install, these were a great addition for the build.
View attachment 583438
Thank you for your reply, but sorry to pester, does this mean you removed the cable antenna in the window and kept only the receiver, or did you relocate the cables?

limbusgold

Hi Guys; I installed the two rear Gullwings and just left the antenna disconnected. while in the city no issues; unfortunatelly as soon as you put some miles between you and civilization your radio is dead. I've been trying to find an antenna that would fit the original connector but no luck yet.

Beat Mumenthaler

Hi Guys; I installed the two rear Gullwings and just left the antenna disconnected. while in the city no issues; unfortunatelly as soon as you put some miles between you and civilization your radio is dead. I've been trying to find an antenna that would fit the original connector but no luck yet.
Limbusgold, the day you will have found an antenna that would fit the original connector, pls don't miss to tell us!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke