Gaia GPS Features Walk-Through Video

grogie

Like to Camp
Thanks for the video and review as I follow your YouTube channel, and in fact I bought a Gaia GPS subscription after seeing it.
  • First of all, the mulitple maps that are available and with being able to layer maps is a really nice. It's great for one to have the National Geographic maps included.
  • Plus that it works on my MacBook, iPhone and iPad mini and they all sync immediately. In fact, I just upgraded to a cellular iPad mini (not for the cellular service as of yet, but becuase it supports GPS), and wow... it's very cool that I can live record routes and all of the data that it collects (travel time, speed, elevation, etc.) for later review.
  • I also like that I can create routes and share them, download maps (for when I'm off of network), and even upload photos to routes.
  • There are some little features I'd like to see which I've commented on on their website, and they've been quick to respond and are open to ideas.
  • With uploading photos, most of my photos are already geotagged with coordinates. I did notice for example that when I upload a photo from an iPad, it took the location of the iPad over what is in the JPEG (needs an option to use either), whereas on my MacBook, it took the coordinates in the JPEG. I'd also like to see that we can upload just photos without and route and it puts them directly on a map by its coordinates, as I don't always know exactly what trail I was on when I took a picture. (As said, they've responded to my suggestions.)
Thanks again for the reveiw! It's very cool.

Last edited:

Heavyopp

Observer
Wondering if that discount code can be used for a renewal membership? I've bought the premium subscription last November -- coming up on renewal and if I can use the discount I'd gladly go for a 5 year subscription -- Thoughts?

Superduty

Adventurer
LifestyleOverland, thanks for the video.

What is your experience with the IOS version vs. the Android version? It seems to me that MANY features are still missing or not working in the Android version.

It looks like you guys do a lot of overlanding. Do you download your whole route ahead of time? Or do you typically have an active cellular connection? I have found it very difficult to download any significant geographic area using the Gaia. This is particularly true with the Android version where you are unable to see the areas you previously downloaded on the map. In your video you showed the red squares, indicating previously downloaded area, but apparently that is only on IOS.

I look forward to your responses and feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94