Galaxy Tab A

TerryD

Adventurer
I found a good price on the Samsung Galaxy Tab A and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it for mapping and general GPS. I have some other uses for it with APRS and some other Amateur Radio programs so I'm looking into those as well. Thanks far any help.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
We have both a Galaxy Tab 4 (7") and a Tab A (8").

I use the Tab4 as the navigation/map tablet, and it works fantastically well. The Tab A is used by the wife, but in my limited use, it seems to be a step-up from the Tab4 in all performance aspects, so it should do just fine for the same job. When we next upgrade tablets, I'm sure the TabA will cycle down to the Nav tablet, assuming the slightly larger unit will fit in the current mounting scheme.

TerryD

Adventurer
Awesome! I'll probably pick it up then. Thanks. My current tablet won't recognize my APRS cable and thought I might upgrade to a slightly larger one.

mbuckner

Adventurer
I picked up a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (wi-fi).

The AC charger indicates output of 5v 2amps.

Can anyone recommend a car charger that will meet the AC parameters?

Best regards,

Mike

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I bought an 8" Tab A (2017) last spring and used it with Gaia for nav... worked great. Downloaded maps much faster than my old tablet. Haven't tried APRS, I don't use it.

R4D4R

It doesn't take AC. the AC adapter you have converts the 120VAC from the wall to 5VDC on the plug. Any 2A 12v adapter for the cig plug will work

I picked up a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (wi-fi).

The AC charger indicates output of 5v 2amps.

Can anyone recommend a car charger that will meet the AC parameters?

Best regards,

Mike

R4D4R

Yes, the input for the tables is USBC which takes a 5v input. Any of those USB type adapters should be OK, providing its a 2.1A output. USB C takes up to 3A but Ive never seen one of those 12v - USB guys put out that much. Stay away from the old 500mA chargers, I bet they wont even maintain the battery, nevermind charge while using

Thanks for the reply.

Does the DC charger need to be 5 volt output?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Samsung tablets are really very good. Well built, well supported and they seem to last. My only comment with any tablet for navigation purposes is that the built in standalone GPS in most is a little weak and slow to update. I picked up a Dell tablet years ago that works very well as a Nav unit when paired via Bluetooth with a Dual GPS puck. The GPS receiver picks up GPS satellites quickly and seems to get updates faster and works way better when under trees etc.

Just a thought. For the price it is a pretty killer combo.

http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-lifestyle/car/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz