Garmin inReach SE+ Satellite Communicator at Costco for $289.99 (Aug 2018)

MCX

TalesFromTheDesert.com
I've heard good things about the inReach. I usually hike and camp alone and in areas where there's no cell coverage. So, I always carry a satellite phone with me (Inmarsat phone, with SOS GPS location capabilities). But, regardless of what type of device you buy, it's always best to be prepared...you never know.

Pappy

My Delorme SE did not come with a mount. I did purchase a powered RAM mount for it. A powered mount is available from Garmin for the SE+, though I wish they used a 12V plug instead of the USB.

DieselRanger

The first time you use one of these to save a life, you will realize it's worth double whatever you pay for it. I've used my older DeLorme InReach to rescue a HAPE victim who required a helo evac from 11,500 feet. The catalyst for me buying one was a time when some friends and I had been delayed on a backcountry ski trip by several hours in deteriorating winter weather after sunset, and a frantic spouse was on the phone with SAR, helo turning on the pad, when we finally got back into cell phone range. They would have launched into dangerous conditions for them when we were in no immediate danger ourselves.

I now carry mine anywhere I know there are cell phone dead spots, even on paved roads. I've also used it many times when I'm delayed and need to let my family know.

Probably preaching to the choir, but if you're on the fence, just do it.

jgaz

Adventurer
Just pulled the trigger on this! $248 including tax.

Didn’t think I wanted to be bothered with a monthly subscription just so I could text. After reading his rescue details and communicating with @GB_Willys_2014 about his experience I decided to go with the Garmin. After talking it over with my wife thought I was crazy NOT to get something that would text. (She has always been a bit concerned when I hike alone)

Thanks to the OP and all that posted their opinions and/or their experiences.

Pappy

Just pulled the trigger on this! $248 including tax.

Didn’t think I wanted to be bothered with a monthly subscription just so I could text.

I use the Freedom Plan. It cost me $27.92/year, then I just pay for the months I use it. Since traditionally I only use it for two months out of the year it's cheaper than a full blown annual contract. Most of the time I use the middle plan (Recreation, unlimited tracking, 40 texts/mo). One time I went for unlimited everything (Expedition) because I had a buddy with me who wanted to check in with the bride daily.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles