Garmin Overlander

dms1

Explorer
Delorme Topo (yeah older version as Garmin bought them and killed it) this gives great auto routing
OziExplorer which gives me USGS Topo with all the cool old notes
Garmin nRoute (really old program which allows garmin handheld maps to work on a PC, use it for all my Baja maps)
Avenza PDF map reader as our amazing Gov released all the cool old historic maps as GeoPDF which Avenza will show you as a dot on a handdrawn map from the 1870's :)

I use either a Globalsat 353 USB puck or a Bluetooth standalone puck at various times

Are running Garmin nRoute on Windows 10? I still have a copy of that software, I might try running it.

dms1

Explorer
Garmin website shows it is compatible with InReach SE+ and InReach Explorer+ under the "Compatible Devices" tab.

Compatible Devices

The other day when I checked, only the
Garmin website shows it is compatible with InReach SE+ and InReach Explorer+ under the "Compatible Devices" tab.

Compatible Devices

The other day when I looked at Garmins web site, only the Garmin InReach Mini was listed as compatible. Glad they are adding more products.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Are running Garmin nRoute on Windows 10? I still have a copy of that software, I might try running it.
Yeah it is a pain as you have to do some playing with Mapsource and Basecamp and then load nRoute, then I put in my Baja maps set from this place
http://cartografiagps.com/en/what-is-map-e32-gps.php

He also has Iphone and Android apps for those running those tablet OS's. The best maps of Baja and Copper Canyon other that paper.

Taco-Bender

After reading all the comments here, and on other sites, it seems the consensus is this thing is WAY over priced.

Having said that, what do you think would be a reasonable/fair price for a device like this? Especially for someone who doesn't want to dork around with having to load different apps, maps, etc. on a tablet or phone.

Or, better yet, you guys that are very experienced with the mapping apps, different maps/sources, different tablets, etc. What would you be willing to pay for a device like the Garmin Overlander? Is it something you would consider buying if it were a couple hundred $$$'s less?

Having said that, what do you think would be a reasonable/fair price for a device like this? Especially for someone who doesn't want to dork around with having to load different apps, maps, etc. on a tablet or phone.

Or, better yet, you guys that are very experienced with the mapping apps, different maps/sources, different tablets, etc. What would you be willing to pay for a device like the Garmin Overlander? Is it something you would consider buying if it were a couple hundred $$$'s less?

I'd pay 399-450. The HUGE deciding factor for me would be if this supports other topo maps and such (free from elsewhere on the internet, I know Garmin won't hand them out for free...I'm not paying 99+ for additional low res maps). If it doesn't, probably count me out for even the price range I listed.

Gaia is annoying to put maps onto, but realistically I don't need maps for places on the other side of the country from me so it really isn't a huge deal. The main thing for me since I've switched to Gaia is the ability to sync my waypoints and routes on both my tablet (and I guess phone too if something happened to the tablet) and my garmin handheld. I know Garmin has "explorer app" but I can't even log in and play with it unless I have a compatible device, so who knows how that is. The last "online" system (Magellan TRX) was very buggy and extremely limited in actions.

Also is the device itself-will it lag? That's a for sure deal breaker for me, if it does. With different apps like Gaia, I can just upgrade my device if it starts to struggle.

Unless this overlander unit really kicks ass, I'll be just fine with Gaia and my garmin (on road) running at the same time.

I have to agree it is way over priced. That being said I have yet to find an app or a device that will allow you to down load large areas like the western usa .It seems that the apps allhave a limit of around 100,000 tiles. which might seem like alot but is not. see if you go to most of these apps they can give you pretty good detail over a snaller area ( like using a zoom level 15) but if you want a large area you loose the detail. to maybe a zoom 9 or 11. Perhaps some onemore knowlegable than I can add to or correct this. IF any of you have had sucess in loading large areas like coastal nothern CA for example in a single down load at zoom 15 let me know how you did it. their is a market out there witng for the right guy to down load large chunks of territory and sell it on a dvice capable of handling large areas..

Joe917

Explorer
We have the Garmin in Reach, mainly so family can contact us in an emergency, and of course if we have a life threatening issue. Garmin/Delorme map coverage is crap in South America, Maps.me is far more dependable and useful.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I think it would need to be around $250-$300 tops before I would consider it a possibility to purchase and more like $200 to get me to pick it over a tablet setup.

On board entire US mapping and a somewhat more rugged case, plus a more vehicle friendly UI would be the only features to give it any kind of edge over a tablet for me.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Taco-Bender

Thanks for the inputs/comments gents. For someone like me it might be handy (not at $700 though). I do have Gaia and a bunch of MVUM maps on my phone, which seems to work ok, but, would like something a little more "hands off" and user friendly.

Anyhow, I'm supposed to pick up a demo unit tomorrow afternoon. Anything in particular (keeping in mind I'm not very savvy at this mapping stuff and the various options for apps, free maps, etc.) you would like me to look for? I'll have it just for the weekend.

Thanks for the inputs/comments gents. For someone like me it might be handy (not at $700 though). I do have Gaia and a bunch of MVUM maps on my phone, which seems to work ok, but, would like something a little more "hands off" and user friendly.

Anyhow, I'm supposed to pick up a demo unit tomorrow afternoon. Anything in particular (keeping in mind I'm not very savvy at this mapping stuff and the various options for apps, free maps, etc.) you would like me to look for? I'll have it just for the weekend.

Well, how'd it do?

emulous74

The only thing that keeps drawing me to it, is that you can connect 4 cameras to it, that with the integration with the inreach keeps my ears up on it, but I want to be able to play with it before purchasing.

Taco-Bender

Well, how'd it do?

It's real a nice unit. Mounted it up on the windshield with the suction cup mount and it was rock solid for the couple days I had it up there.

Initially the map was showing dropped areas in Utah (areas that I have visited and want to look at on the map) and a reboot didn't help.

So, after creating a Garmin Explore account, and adding the device, it showed up as a "Beta" unit, I did a system update and that fixed the map issue. Then I loaded some USGS Quad Sheet maps and Color Aerial Imagery for some areas also. No problems there. Easy to see and read.

Tried loading some Kmz files I'm putting together for a North Rim trip. No issues there either. Load it, select your track from the menu, and off you go with the same perspective/view angle as regular "street view" except it's using the topo so you're driving thru modeled terrain.

It does have a browser so, it can be used for browsing the interwebs too! Although, i thought the resolution could be a bit better for that.

For the short time that I had it, it did anything I wanted it to do and, overall, I actually like it. It's very user friendly and I could see it being very useful.

Now, do I like it enough to spend $700?? I would say, probably not. For my budget, that's a lot of $$$ for something that I would use a few weeks a year. Although, if I were a full timer, our even retired where I could get out more, I would seriously consider it.

Taco-Bender

It's real a nice unit. Mounted it up on the windshield with the suction cup mount and it was rock solid for the couple days I had it up there.

Initially the map was showing dropped areas in Utah (areas that I have visited and want to look at on the map) and a reboot didn't help.

So, after creating a Garmin Explore account, and adding the device, it showed up as a "Beta" unit, I did a system update and that fixed the map issue. Then I loaded some USGS Quad Sheet maps and Color Aerial Imagery for some areas also. No problems there. Easy to see and read.

Tried loading some Kmz files I'm putting together for a North Rim trip. No issues there either. Load it, select your track from the menu, and off you go with the same perspective/view angle as regular "street view" except it's using the topo so you're driving thru modeled terrain.

It does have a browser so, it can be used for browsing the interwebs too! Although, i thought the resolution could be a bit better for that.

For the short time that I had it, it did anything I wanted it to do and, overall, I actually like it. It's very user friendly and I could see it being very useful.

Now, do I like it enough to spend $700?? I would say, probably not. For my budget, that's a lot of $$$ for something that I would use a few weeks a year. Although, if I were a full timer, our even retired where I could get out more, I would seriously consider it.

View attachment 522041

View attachment 522042

Update: Sooo, my buddy that hooked me up with the demo Overlander offered to get me one at his price (he works for Garmin) so, I have an Overlander and InReach Mini coming in a few weeks. Pretty stoked!

Lost Roadie

@Taco-Bender
Thanks for your thoughts on the unit, I have a couple questions if I may.

When it comes to tracks you said you loaded one and had no issues.
How did you load it on the unit? Via the Garmin Explore mobile app or with basecamp or just dropped them on a SD card/directly to unit?
What I'm trying to figure out is track handling, I have 15 years and many thousands of GPX tracks/waypoints in Basecamp and am so not interested in managing my tracks on a web based mobile platform.
Does the Overlander show up in Basecamp or as a hard drive on a computer?

Also, did you use it in portrait mode at all instead of landscape besides the web browsing? Your photo with it mounted is landscape, just wondering if you experimented with it. I only run my GPS units in portrait on bikes and in my truck. I did find in the Overlander manual it does support portrait but it says not when in the magnetic mount, which doesn't make much sense to me.

I called Garmin but couldn't get an answer on the portrait question, just recycled info from the manual from someone who didn't know anything about the Overlander.
Thanks!

Taco-Bender

@Lost Roadie

I did not load the tracks directly to the device, I did it thru Garmin Explore and did a sync with the device afterwards. I could try a direct load when my unit arrives in a few weeks though.

While I didn't use portrait mode in my Tundra I did use it several times while goofing around with it in the house. Seemed to work just fine in portrait mode.

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles