Garvin roof rack and soft-top removal

JPFreek1

Explorer
Hey everyone, I recently installed a Garvin Wilderness roof rack to my 05 Rubicon and I'm now faced with the problem of trying to easily remove my soft-top with the roof rack on the vehicle. The rack is pretty darned heavy so trying to do this with one person is not the most feasible thing. Do any of you own a Garvin roof rack and have tips on how best to make it possible to remove a soft-top? Thanks for any input you may have!

Kilroy

Adventurer
I find that I'm able to do it by myself. After taking off and losening the appropriate bolts I stand on the back bumper and I'm able pull the rack back. You can either use the metal brackets to hold it back, or (easier I think) lower it to the ground. I put down something to set it on so it doesn't get scratched.

JPFreek1

Explorer
Thanks for the input. The biggest problem I have is that I also have a Garvin bumper/rack system and I don't think there's enough clearance to get the back part of the roof rack over the top part of the bumper rack. I need to test this so I'll give it a shot. If you have anymore tips on this, that'd be great. As it is, your suggestion is a big help as I was doing it all wrong. Thanks again.

TJVach

Observer
I know that when my girlfriend borrows my Jeep (Yes I actually let her borrow it). When she wants to put the top down she just attaches a rope to the front of the rack and pulls. Somehow this is easier for her. I dunno....???
Also one thing that I have done in the past is attach a ratchet strap between the two front supports before I remove the bolts. For some reason my supports don't like to line back up if I just remove the bolts. I don't know if it is any help to you.
One thing that my buddy told me is that with the Bestop top system (with their hardware) you are able to lower the top without removing the rack I don't know if this is worth the $500+ for a little convenience not to mention the problems with that kind of top. Hope I helped you somewhat lol. Good luck!

Kilroy

Adventurer
After I posted my reply it did occur to me that using a rope and standing on the gound would be easier than starting on the bumper to gain leverage. Good idea.
Now if someone could tell me how to speed up removing and replacing the bolts!
Being able to lower top without moving rack would be a great benifit, probably worth $500. I don't take my top down as often as I do when the rack isn't on.

JPFreek1

Explorer
You know, I was just thinking that maybe wing nuts might work well in quickly removing the bolts on the front of the rack and the bolts right above the taillights. What do y'all think?

Thanks again for your input guys. I tried it yesterday evening and it was MUCH easier than what I was doing before. Still took awhile because those darned bolts take forever and you've got to have the right tools but nonetheless, I was able to get the top back up and do it by myself. :clapsmile

articulate

Expedition Leader
Yeah, wing nuts. Give it a try. I told you that I used a wing nut with a lock washer on the vertical support on the Garvin bumper that runs up to the trail rack, right? That way I can get to the spare tire without having to locate a wrench or a socket.

Give it a whirl. If it makes life easier, why not?

garvin_bumper2.jpg

However, this is not an appropriate use of a nutsert.

JPFreek1

Explorer
Mark, that is a very 'articulate' suggestion. Thanks buddy. Actually, you had mentioned it before and I haven't made the switch yet. No worries though, it's all wing nuts and washers this weekend!

tjbliley

Observer
I run a Kargomaster congo Cage on my TJ and when I need to drop the top I use the spare tire to rest the rack on , while I drop the soft top. leave the tire perpendicular to the rear bumper and it can hold up the rack while you let down the soft top. works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94