Gen 2.5 Overlanding Dog Limo

ahddm

Hey guys,

My name is David I got my Gen2.5 Montero about a year ago from auction with 190k Miles for 2k with some body damage I am located near Los Angeles, been doing small maintenance things here and there but I have figured it is time to dive head first into it now. I use it to drive my dogs around whenever the chance comes up to actually take them out.

No major offroading planned looking to keep drivability and increase performacne and reliability, pretty much no lift kit or crazy gearing. If you guys think there is a needed maintenance I haven't listed that I should do please let me know.

I will post more pictures soon.

Done:
Oil Change
Timing Belt service w/ Water Pump
New Radiator
New Heater Core
New Tires (BFGoodrich KO2 33x10.5)
Tailgate handle
Aftermarket door lock remote
Pioneer Radio w/ Bluetooth

Planned:
Need new CV Axles
Headlight restoration and LED bulb change
Roof Rack
New Springs (OME Springs + ????)
New Bumper
Fix dented fender
3D Print missing covers for various holes on dash
Find new tailgate door cover

Possible:
4.9 Gearing
New Interior seat covers

Unknown issues:
Rubber smell after driving, but no problems
When putting into 2wd lights just blink forever, have tried reversing to release load.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Lol, you’ve already done the timing belt and NOW you want to start digging into it?

ahddm

What radiator did you replace OEM with ?
Not sure honestly had a mechanic do it for me for me when I was overheating away from home.

Saw him checking RockAuto so probably the economy one listed there, looks similar in color too.

ahddm

Is there a way to reach the driver's side headlamp bulb without removing the headlight or coolant reservoir?

Here are some more pictures I just took.

Toasty

Expedition Leader
Since you got 33's you should out 4.90's up on the priority list. That'll make it about perfect for driving, nice truck and welcome.

ahddm

Since you got 33's you should out 4.90's up on the priority list. That'll make it about perfect for driving, nice truck and welcome.
Yea I have been thinking about that, I can definitely feel the car slogging up the mountain passes. Wish there was a reasonable shop around LA not sure how comfortable I am doing it myself. I do not mind tearing the top end off a motor but gears scare me lol.

ahddm

Don't mistake "standing outside the truck and looking back at it" brighter for "see farther down the road" brighter. You drive from inside the cab and you can't aim scatter.
Nah defintely brighter I live pretty rural with no street lights around for miles so it was immediately obvious once I started driving, before hand I could not see more than a few feet ahead, high beams or low. Scatter isn't too bad not crisp like I would like it but that might be fixed with a headlight conversion down the line. Right headlight is noticeably pointed up though which is what I will need to get aimed down.

Shovel

Explorer
before hand I could not see more than a few feet ahead,
I have the same truck/headlight housings as you and this is just regular $20 Philips Nightguide halogens (attached image) . Perhaps you just needed to aim the headlights you had first, it's not hard there are even levels built into the headlight housing.

You can't aim scatter, which is what LEDs are doing. LED's are great for turn signals and taillights, decent for gauge backlights, and they've even become OK for reversing lights if you buy the right ones (because you don't drive fast enough in reverse to outrun their short throw so the light volume is sort of useful there).

Still uncontrolled glare factories for forward vision.

Attachments