Gen 2 Monty Transfer Case Question

red87

Adventurer
Center diff is a locking one iirc...

I meant when its in the unlocked position. CYi5's 4Runner has an AWD option in its transfer case too and when its unlocked its a helical-type limited slip unit. I was wondering if ours were the same.

red87

Adventurer
I remember someone saying that it was limited slip with a ratio of 30:70 front rear, though I could be wrong.

I like that answer so I'm going to go with it :sombrero:

In all honestly, that makes sense. I was wheeling in a nice sandy wash the other day and I was able to drift decently with the truck in AWD. The rear bias would account for that, somewhat.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
IIRC there made by a German outfit, Getrag I believe. They also did the 3000gt vr4 xfer case and the Porsche carrera 4 etc...Maybe can look up that company.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Found on wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Select. Although it references a Mitsu Motors UK page as a source, that page no longer exist to confirm this (but it sounds about right) so reader beware...

Super Select is the brand name of a four-wheel drive system produced by Mitsubishi Motors, used worldwide except for North America, where it was initially known as Active-Trac. It was first introduced in 1991 with the then-new second generation of the Mitsubishi Pajero.[1]

The system offers a choice of four rear- or four-wheel driving modes, selected using a lever mounted alongside the gear shift, and can be changed while the vehicle is in motion.[2] In 2H mode the front axle is disconnected and the vehicle is rear-wheel drive. Reduced frictional losses in the powertrain mean that fuel economy improves while noise levels are reduced.[2] 4H is a part-time four-wheel drive mode using a viscous coupling unit (VCU) and center differential to direct drive to the front wheels when the rear axle loses traction, and is capable of handling a wide variety of road conditions and speeds.[3] 4HLc locks the center differential to provide extra traction for sandy, snowy or poorly surfaced roads in "high range" mode, while 4LLc, the "low range" mode, also offers a much lower gearing, providing the maximum amount of traction. Changing between 4HLc and 4LLc is only possible with the vehicle stationary.[3]

The system is used on Mitsubishi's Pajero iO mini SUV, while its larger Pajero, Challenger, Triton and Delica models use a more complex system dubbed Super Select II (SS4-II). In most respects the two are the same, although the torque-split in SS4-II is 33/67 front/rear, meaning two thirds of the torque is channelled to the rear axle. In Super Select (SS4i) the torque-split is an equal 50/50. SS4-II also offers an option to lock the rear differential, offering greater traction to the rear axle.[3]

Last edited:

Monterorider

Adventurer
You have Viscous Coupling in addition to center differential but don't rely on it too much, lock the diff. Left unlocked, extensive spinning for prolonged time will seize your VC thus lockup center diff making your Montero part-time. This has happened on late Montero sport with so called AWD which is basically same as Montero in 4H (4wd , center diff unlocked).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz