Gen 2 SWB Pajero VS LWB Montero Shocks

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
20180405_180627_HDR.jpg

Pictured above is my 1992 Pajero (2.5TD). While putting LWB springs on the rear for some lift, I noticed the rear electronically adjustable shocks are leaking. So it's time to get new shocks, and they won't be electronically adjustable.

I'm familiar with some of the shocks out there for Montero: Bilstein 4600/5100, OME, Rancho RS9000XL, KYB MonoMax, and so on. However, these are all for the Montero, which will be LWB vehicles. Is that an issue? Will this thing ride like a stagecoach with these shocks?

Got a Gen 2 Pajero SWB? What are you running?

Servingko

I have had the 9000’s and the KYB’s and wouldn’t recommend either. OME aren’t bad but I am leaning towards 5100 for both my 98 and 92 SWB import. I ran Tokico blues (came with the John Baker Baja suspension kit back in the day) on the 2 door Montero and Raider and really liked them but no application now. My electronically adjustable shocks seem to be working fine on the 92, but I have really liked the Bilsteins on other vehicles. The 5100’s from the folks in AZ aren’t specifically valved for the Montero/Pajero from what I understand and are a bit softer than the 4600 which are spec’d for the LWB Montero. That may be the best option without shipping something in from down under.

I will be interested to see what others are running as well.

JamesW

Adventurer
It gets a bit bumper with the LWB springs, but nothing too bad.

I had the iron-man shocks in my swb, and they were far too under damped, I didn't like the feel of them at all, so I put in some Monroe cheap ones for a while to keep me going for the time being. Thinking I'll go KYB next. I fancied the ADD shock kit but getting it over here makes it a bit out of my budget

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

rock_shoes

Observer
How much of a lift did you get out of the LWB springs on your shorty? I've been considering the same but more with the increased load capacity in mind for my added weight (RTT (180lbs.), drawers, 47L ARB, etc.).

JamesW

Adventurer
How much of a lift did you get out of the LWB springs on your shorty? I've been considering the same but more with the increased load capacity in mind for my added weight (RTT (180lbs.), drawers, 47L ARB, etc.).
I got around 2.5 inches, I put in LWB heavy duty springs, so they're a bit firmer, and it seems to work quite well, I have a set of drawers in the back, and often carry heavy music equipment in it, and it doesn't drop down much. Can always adjust the torsion bars to compensate for the amount of load you have to make it sit level

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I just put Tokico Trekmasters on my Gen 1 LWB, the fronts were still the high performance blue. I like them a bunch, curious to see how they do with all new bushings and balljoints.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
FYI, I installed Rancho XL9000s on my Pajero and so far, I really like them. Very comfortable ride on pavement. I haven't had them on the trail, but I have had them in the sand and they work very well. I've been running them on the softer side thus far.

rock_shoes

Observer
I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of the Bilsteins from ADD (my stockers are knackered and clanking). I'll report back.

Servingko

My son purchased the 5100’s directly from Bilstein for me since he gets a discount through a friend’s shop. As a result, they didn’t come with the modified lower mounting hardware that ADD puts together in their kit and it took a bit of time to properly sort things out, especially on the rear lower mounts. Initially I felt the rears were too soft but it’s growing on me. Off-road they are great and feel very plush! I don’t know if I would like them on a LWB that is loaded however, and won’t be running them on my lifted 98. On road manners are just fine with little to no more body roll than stock but my electronically controlled shocks have had some wear (60k or so). The 5100 fronts feel like the middle position on the factory shocks and the rears feel like the soft position but more controlled.

This would certainly bear out in the numbers for compression and rebound from the shop manual and from Bilstein’s website. Mitsubishi spec’d rebound to be about twice that (2 to 1) of compression for the adjustable and non-adjustable shocks, whereas the front Bilstein are a closer to 4 to 1 and the rear 5100’s are just about 2 to 1. Overall the damping is softer on rebound and much softer on compression than stock or. Since the damping force between manufacturers is different (speed vs distance), the math is a bit beyond my back of the napkin abilities, so you can’t directly compare absolute damping force for either compression or rebound, but the ratios help a bit with insight into the comparison. Mitsubishi exerts a greater force (more distance in less time) to calculate their number than Bilstein, and also have higher absolute values for the resistive force the shock exerts when tested, but this would not be a linear relationship and I don’t know how to convert them to Bilstein number.

Suffice it to say they are both softer but more controlled. In addition, the 5100’s are a digressive rate shock meaning that the harder they are worked the softer they become, but in a very controlled way, unlike the way overheating and foaming feel. All in all I very nice addition. As a side note, the 4600 rears are still unavailable as Bilstein is retooling their manufacturing facilities and the demand for Pajero/Montero shocks of this era of vehicle is very limited. Koni would make some Heavy Tracks up for me but it was a 2-3 month lead time. If you want Bilstein and you want them now, 5100’s are your only option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne