Gen 3 Montero P0455 Code. Any Ideas?

oofster

Hi ya’ll. I have a 2003 limited Monty with 180 on the clock. It started throwing a P0455 Large EVAP leak code about a week back so the first thing I did was go and get a new gas cap, the previous one looked oe. Unfortunately, no luck and it’s been throwing the code since then, and my mpg went down by small amount since then. Took it to the shop and they smoke tested it, and said the leak was above the gas tank somewhere.. They’re wanting 300ish to take the gas tank out to find the leak. Any ideas on what part the leak could be coming from? Could this just be a seal or something simple I could fix myself for cheaper? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Tumble the second row of seats forward.
Open the access panel in the floor.
The top of the fuel cell is in front of you.
Open the gas cap, place some rags around the area and inspect the connections.
There is one fitting that uses a small o-ring (I think it is closer to the rear of the vehicle IIRC).
I was getting a "small leak" code when this went bad on my rig.
Perhaps it is the source of your leak...
I think over filling the fuel cell may cause this to go bad sooner since it is not a Viton o-ring.
Below is a pdf of the fuel section of the FSM:
http://www.pajero4x4.ru/piii/GR00007400-13B.pdf

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Too bad they didn’t put a little more effort into it. A webcam on a stick might have shown more detail.

oofster

Tumble the second row of seats forward.
Open the access panel in the floor.
The top of the fuel cell is in front of you.
Open the gas cap, place some rags around the area and inspect the connections.
There is one fitting that uses a small o-ring (I think it is closer to the rear of the vehicle IIRC).
I was getting a "small leak" code when this went bad on my rig.
Perhaps it is the source of your leak...
I think over filling the fuel cell may cause this to go bad sooner since it is not a Viton o-ring.
Below is a pdf of the fuel section of the FSM:
http://www.pajero4x4.ru/piii/GR00007400-13B.pdf
Great, thank you. I’ll check this out tonight and see if I can’t figure it out.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I have a leak on the top of my carbon canister that gives this code. The circular cap on the top of the canister has separated from the body. I fixed it with hot glue once to see if it would go away and sure enough it was the issue. Hot glue isn't a long term fix in the engine compartment so one of these days I'll repair it with an epoxy, but since I know where the problem is, it's become low priority.

tj90

I have similar evap CEL issue after a 30in water crossing. I'm hoping it goes away. Wonder if I filled my canister with river water?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior