Gen 3 Montero Throttle Body Differences

Ashton_59

Hello all, I own a 2003 Mitsubishi Montero (not sport). The throttle body recently seized, and I am in search of a new one, the TPS is whats the problem an awful electronic screeching noise is coming from it. I went to a salvage yard, and they said they made a certain throttle body for 2003, which makes no sense to me. Didn't all 3rd gens have the same engines? I went on Ebay and found a new Aisin throttle body for $180, but it says for the years 2004-2006. Yet they have the same engines in the description as the 2003 (3.8l 3828cc v6 SOHC). Are the ECU's different, do they not correlate? I haven't found anything on this topic surfing through forums and web searches, it would be great if someone could possibly explain this to me. The Ebay part # is K249TY, and it looks exactly like my throttle body on the 03'.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Very Interesting - Mitsubishi does indeed list a different part number for 2003 than 2004-2006.

2003: MN137646
2004-2006: MN130069

Now, as to whether this actually makes a difference? - no one probably knows but since they are indeed different part numbers and Mitsu's part's catalog says they only work for those year ranges I wouldn't waste my time with the 2004-2006 model. I actually happen to have a spare 2003 Throttle Body that I've kept on hand as a back up in case mine ever went out but now, seeing that it won't work on my 2005 Montero I'll happily sell it to you. It's a used unit with 190K on it but was working when pulled. PM for details.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The throttle controls, idle air controller, cruise control and so forth did advance in technology during the course of those model years, but the throttle body itself should be the same in my uneducated opinion.

Ashton_59

I got a different throttle body online, one with lower miles and the buzzing is still continuing. I’m stumped at this point, I can’t find much online. This problem started after I took off the intake manifold and replaced the plug wires, and coils.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Is the throttle body fly by wire or still direct mechanical operation? If it’s fly by wire maybe you have a bad pedal position sensor.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior