Gen 3 Monty Questions for a new buyer

Snowrydr01

Observer
So i blame Mitsubishi for their confusing naming convention and product planning but here goes.

01-03 XLS vs Limited
XLS has 4 spd, Limited has 5 speed. What are the actual transmission names? I see Aisin is the manufacturer but cant find the model names for either? Ive seen AW3 which doesn't make sense or "stronger AW4" which would make sense for the 4 speed since it sounds like some people do AW4 swaps out of cherokees into montero sports. Im hoping its a version of the AW4 or family line, I loved that trans in cherokees and did a complicated swap to get one mated into my last wrangler.

Are there any visual differences from the outside? Obviously the gauge cluster or shifter would show but most craigslist adds dont have that image and i dont want to waste my time.

Are there any other options differences? XLS more likely to have cloth and limited always leather perhaps?

Will a rear LSD carrier work in a front? I understand that the gears on the front are reverse rotation so they would have to be switched, but would a reversed LSD carrier work in the front?

03-06
It looks like all of these came with 5 speeds which is my ideal scenario
Any options between trims worth noting?
What year and model carriers are needed for the easy re-gear? Does it have to be the third members from an 01-03 XLS 4 speed or can they also be taken from certain montero sports?

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
So i blame Mitsubishi for their confusing naming convention and product planning but here goes.

01-03 XLS vs Limited
XLS has 4 spd, Limited has 5 speed. What are the actual transmission names? I see Aisin is the manufacturer but cant find the model names for either? Ive seen AW3 which doesn't make sense or "stronger AW4" which would make sense for the 4 speed since it sounds like some people do AW4 swaps out of cherokees into montero sports. Im hoping its a version of the AW4 or family line, I loved that trans in cherokees and did a complicated swap to get one mated into my last wrangler.

Are there any visual differences from the outside? Obviously the gauge cluster or shifter would show but most craigslist adds dont have that image and i dont want to waste my time.

Are there any other options differences? XLS more likely to have cloth and limited always leather perhaps?

Will a rear LSD carrier work in a front? I understand that the gears on the front are reverse rotation so they would have to be switched, but would a reversed LSD carrier work in the front?

03-06
It looks like all of these came with 5 speeds which is my ideal scenario
Any options between trims worth noting?
What year and model carriers are needed for the easy re-gear? Does it have to be the third members from an 01-03 XLS 4 speed or can they also be taken from certain montero sports?

I will have to check the specific models in the FSM for the transmissions, but they are both Aisin. I believe they were shared with some Toyota vehicles. The transfer case is also Aisin.

01-02 XLS or Limited will have a badge on the front fender for model. Also the transfer shifter is always different. Manual transfer lever (has boot over lever) is for XLS/4-speed. Electronic with straight shift pattern is Limited/5-speed.

Gauges were changed based on the 03 and 05 updates. 03 also changed to the better 3.8L engine.

XLS is always cloth, Limited is always leather. Other features like sunroof and rear LSD were more common on Limited.

Rear Diff does not fit front. Front diff is a high pinion with different sized gears. XLS 4.9 gears can be swapped into a Limited with 4.3 gears. (entire assembly swaps with flanges on each end. No need to drain oil.)

03-06 Limited
They eliminated the XLS trim in 2003 so all versions afterward are Limited trim with 5 speed and the newer 3.8L engine
Any Gen 3 differential can be swapped between each other. Only 01-02 had LSD in rear. Look for HYBLID LSD on the sticker to confirm.
Montero sport has different drivetrain. No parts swap with Gen 3.

Gen 3 Info
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/159055-3rd-Gen-Montero-Questions

Snowrydr01

Observer
I guess i was hoping for a more visual tell, like different cladding or something. Most Craigslist pictures are too far to read the badging and they rarely have gear shift pictures or gauge pictures wide enough to see the gear selector range.

Most do have interior images though so cloth is a good indication.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
I believe all Limited's have driving lights in the front bumper.
For sure, the XLS '01 and up does not have them. '03 and up have openings that look like driving lights but some on closer inspection don't have the lenses, i.e. factory driving lights 03+ = Limited.

KyleT

Explorer
Limiteds are leather.

Most dealers have no idea what trims they are.

03 still had black gauges. There are a lot of subtle differences. But all 05-06 are limiteds and I think 04 xls was leather with manual ac controls.

All limiteds have the front fog lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowrydr01

Observer
the limiteds having fog lights is a great tell. most 2nd or third owners at this point might not know there was a difference and 90% are just listed as montero.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior