Gen 4 4Runner interior space vs R50 Pathfinder

jakomait

Can anyone offer a comparison between the interior space of a R50 Pathfinder (2001) vs a gen 4 (or even 5) 4Runner (back seats folded down)? I'm in the market for a new vehicle but I tend to haul around a lot of gear with me on weekend trips (camping, biking, rock climbing, backpacking, etc). I was spoiled by the room in my minivan with no back seats but I destroyed it taking it places where it shouldn't go and it's time to get a real off road capable vehicle. My wife has a 2001 Pathfinder and its interior space is too limiting for my tastes and I don't want to start storing stuff on the roof. Will the newer 4Runners give me appreciable more volume? Anyone with experience between these two? My plan B is Gen 1 Tundra but I'm not much of a truck guy. Thanks for any help!

ScoMey

I came from an R50 Pathfinder to a 5th gen 4Runner... the 4Runner is noticeably more spacious with the 2nd row seats folded than the R50. I can't quote a specific cubic foot figure, but it's definitely bigger.

That said, if it's just you and maybe one traveling companion, you'd be surprised what will fit in the rear cargo area of an R50. I had mine modded with AirLift 100 bags in the rear, and a Yakima LoadWarrior on top, and it was a decent enough adventure vehicle. Good Luck.

-sjm

jakomait

drobb,
I'm hoping to get the nicest driving vehicle for all of my highway miles and feel the Sequoia is going to be too big of a lumbering monster. I'd also like to get 20mpg's if possible and the Sequoia is pretty far from that too. I didn't give them much consideration but I might as well take a quick peak at em...

jakomait

ScoMey, Thanks for the info. I appreciate the insight between the two vehicles. Even if you gave me volume numbers I'm not sure I could decipher my needs into a qty but knowing there is a noticeable difference is quite helpful!

p nut

butter
According to a quick Google search:
2008 4Runner--42.1, 75.1 (rear cargo, with rear seats folded)
2001 Pathfinder--38, 85
So the Pathfinder is actually bigger overall, and has more rear seat leg room.
If I were you, I'd look at Tahoe/Yukons, if you want more cargo and 20mpg. Montero might be another option.

jakomait

P nut, Now I'm baffled! over 10% more room? I wish you could buy cars like backpacks at REI and try and bring all of your gear and see if it fits! I'll look into your suggestions but after getting $250 for my last car at 145K mi it seems like Toyota's are the only thing you can sell used and get some $$ back, especially in CO.

p nut

butter
P nut, Now I'm baffled! over 10% more room? I wish you could buy cars like backpacks at REI and try and bring all of your gear and see if it fits! I'll look into your suggestions but after getting $250 for my last car at 145K mi it seems like Toyota's are the only thing you can sell used and get some $$ back, especially in CO.
Well, you've got to make some compromises, then. I was looking at a bigger vehicle than my old Tacoma recently as well. Reliability, MPG, fits my family of 4 (5 eventually) comfortably. Those were the top 3 priorities. Based on that, I passed on Toyota and got something that ticked off all boxes.
If you can move MPG down the priority list, a Sequoia (05-07), would make an excellent overlander. I wouldn't mind on of those but I just can't stomach the poor MPG.
BTW, 100-series gets similar MPG as the Sequoia. Other than ~15-16mpg highway mpg, I loved my 100 series LC. Very well built. Slightly smaller than the sequoia, but big enough and more nimble off road.

Last edited:

RoyJ

Adventurer
I'll second the Tahoe/Yukon. Chevy smallblocks are very good in terms of efficiency, especially if you can find an 08 or newer with the 6 spd automatic.

A 4runner would offer negligible gain in mpg, and are quite a bit smaller. The Sequoia and LC are decently sized, but as others have mentioned, are absolutely abysmal in mpg. My Ram has 160 more hp than my LC100, and gets 30%+ better mpg consistently.

gmtech

Observer
mehh reliability of Tahoe/ suburban is marginal. 07-14 go for same as 4runner with sameish miles.

the "quirks" that you would have to make sure had been taken care of on a chevy with be 10 fold of a Toyota.
aka
hubs/burns oil/random transmission failure/water pump/ hvac problems/door lock actuators failing/transmission cooler lines/ to name a few
I have 04 4runner with 205k. with seats down I can get two 26inch mountain bikes standing up with front forks attached to board and camping eqip for 2.
have had 4 guys and camping gear crammed for week trip to Colorado also. that's snug tho

p nut

butter
mehh reliability of Tahoe/ suburban is marginal. 07-14 go for same as 4runner with sameish miles.

the "quirks" that you would have to make sure had been taken care of on a chevy with be 10 fold of a Toyota.
aka
hubs/burns oil/random transmission failure/water pump/ hvac problems/door lock actuators failing/transmission cooler lines/ to name a few
I have 04 4runner with 205k. with seats down I can get two 26inch mountain bikes standing up with front forks attached to board and camping eqip for 2.
have had 4 guys and camping gear crammed for week trip to Colorado also. that's snug tho

Do you actually have any data to back up your "10 fold" claim? I've had many Toyotas and they have their problems as well. Perhaps Toyota does have an edge overall, but definitely not 10 fold, or anything close to it. A commercial contractor I know has had GMC trucks for the past 3 decades and regularly puts 200k+ on them before moving onto the next truck (tax write offs). The way they treat those trucks out there in Wyoming for those 200k miles would probably be equivalent to 300-400k "normal" miles. Yet, he hasn't had that many problems with them. None have left him stranded, motor and transmission were all original when he sold them.

gmtech

Observer
it might be just because I work at a chevy dealer that I see more problems. maybe if I worked at a Toyota dealer I would see there problems also.
I don't doubt that chevys go 200k300k they doo. and I know contractors drive them hard.
I just see failures of parts at low miles that I guess I though shouldn't happen.

jmeb

Observer
...07-14 go for same as 4runner with sameish miles....o

Maybe in the QCA. Not in the West. For a similar price Yota as GMC/Chevy you're looking at twice the miles on the Yota.

It's one reason I almost flew home to the Quad Cities to buy a car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior