Gen2.5 2000 Montero factory rear locker install

d*rock

With the 3.0 engine I'm not sure which axle you have, if you have the 9" axle that 3.0L LS's had then the 9.5" locker won't fit regardless so you either need to do a complete swap to a 9.5" rear axle with the locker from a gen2 or 2.5 and 4.90 gears from a Sport with the 3.5 - or, instead just do an ARB locker and not worry about any of that stuff.
Shovel, is there an easy way to measure or know if I have the 9” or 9.5” axle other than pulling it out? Assuming it’s the driver’s side, yes? Thanks

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I have a 9.5” 3rd member with SR air locker and 4.63 gears in it for sale if that helps you? Pm me for details.

d*rock

I have a 9.5” 3rd member with SR air locker and 4.63 gears in it for sale if that helps you? Pm me for details.
Thanks, I'll keep you in mind. I'm still trying to find out exactly what I have so I can figure out exactly what I'd need. I think I'm also not 100% sure which part is 9" or 9.5". I was reading into it being driver's side axle (drive shaft), but you're saying 9.5" 3rd member. What exactly is 9" or 9.5"? Thanks!

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Thanks, I'll keep you in mind. I'm still trying to find out exactly what I have so I can figure out exactly what I'd need. I think I'm also not 100% sure which part is 9" or 9.5". I was reading into it being driver's side axle (drive shaft), but you're saying 9.5" 3rd member. What exactly is 9" or 9.5"? Thanks!
For the assembly I'm selling, the Ring Gear is 9.5" in diameter. I don't know anything about the axles or driveshafts though so can't help you there.

4.jpg

d*rock

I have 4.875 ratio gears, it’s stamped on the metal plate in the engine bay. What size gears would that put my SR at? Confused I am. :)

Last edited: