Gen3 Steel Wheels 16-17''

HMSEndeavour

Hello,

I will be fitting KO2's on my rig soon I wanted to use this as an opportunity to swap out the stock 17'' alloy rims for steel 16'' wheels. While there are quite a few substitutes, none of them would have proper hub fitment. Is anyone aware of where to obtain actual Montero steel wheels? 2005+ Monteros have 17'' stock rims, I am assuming they can fit 16'' wheels designed for the 2001-2004 Monteros? I am considering mounting 17'' FJ Cruiser steelies, but I am worried they wont fit.

Thanks!

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
I have 16" wheels (anniversary edition Montero wheels) on my '05. No fitment issues.

Not sure about Toyota steelies on a 3rd gen. Offset might be funky, not sure. I also have a set of 17" toyota steelies that I have had on my '92 Gen 2. They fit fine on my '92 (any Gen 2 /2.5) after a slight trimming of the center bore.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yes, the 16in wheels from other gen 3 models fit just fine and will be correct for the vehicle. And why would you want to mount heavy steel 17's when you are trying to swap to 16's?

HMSEndeavour

I have 16" wheels (anniversary edition Montero wheels) on my '05. No fitment issues.

Not sure about Toyota steelies on a 3rd gen. Offset might be funky, not sure. I also have a set of 17" toyota steelies that I have had on my '92 Gen 2. They fit fine on my '92 (any Gen 2 /2.5) after a slight trimming of the center bore.

Thanks for the reply, I'll try sourcing 16 inch Montero wheels for my car. I think the offset for the Gen 3 is 46mm which is rather uncommon (shame since places like costco have dirt cheap steel wheels but none with the right offset).

Yes, the 16in wheels from other gen 3 models fit just fine and will be correct for the vehicle. And why would you want to mount heavy steel 17's when you are trying to swap to 16's?

Montero wheels are hard to source in Canada whereas FJ Cruiser wheels are relatively cheap and easily accessible. Although I have to admit, using 17 inch wheel as an alternative is probably not the smartest thing to do.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the reply, I'll try sourcing 16 inch Montero wheels for my car. I think the offset for the Gen 3 is 46mm which is rather uncommon (shame since places like costco have dirt cheap steel wheels but none with the right offset).

Montero wheels are hard to source in Canada whereas FJ Cruiser wheels are relatively cheap and easily accessible. Although I have to admit, using 17 inch wheel as an alternative is probably not the smartest thing to do. I think the Mistubishi Galant 16 inch steelies have the same dimensions as the Gen 3 wheels.

What size tires are you planning to run?

HMSEndeavour

What size tires are you planning to run?

I'm thinking of running either 265/75r16 or 265/70 r17 if I have to stick to the stock wheels.

Also turns out the Galant has the wrong bolt pattern so that wont work. Maybe Montero Sport wheels would fit (a bit easier to find then regular montero wheels)?

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'm thinking of running either 265/75r16 or 265/70 r17 if I have to stick to the stock wheels.

Also turns out the Galant has the wrong bolt pattern so that wont work. Maybe Montero Sport wheels would fit (a bit easier to find then regular montero wheels)?

Are you referring to the Galant sedans, those are 5 lug if I recall and definitely will not fit your rig. The Sport wheels fit just fine.

plh

Explorer
The Montero Sport offset would not be correct for a Gen 3.

The 17" Toyota steelies I have and referenced are from an FJ Cruiser - also not the same offset for a Gen 3.

HMSEndeavour

The Montero Sport offset would not be correct for a Gen 3.

The 17" Toyota steelies I have and referenced are from an FJ Cruiser - also not the same offset for a Gen 3.

Darn,

Do you guys know if Monteros have issues with multi-fit/universal wheels? I can pretty easily find steel wheels with a 6x139.7mm pattern, but i'd end up with a bore that's probably too wide (or too small) and the wrong offset.

Doing_Dirt

Try 4 Wheel Parts. They own the ProComp brand and options are endless.
If bore size was a problem, they know which hub rings would be best.

Not saying anything bad about franchise tire stores, but I have never seen a $100k trophy truck or buggy at Discount Tires or Walmart for anything.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
MR347069 is the part number for the OEM steel wheel.

A8G01A.jpg

http://m.autopartmaster.com/en/?act...d_provider=1341774&price_type=r&price_margin=

jlocster

Explorer
Bolt pattern on the wheels listed below are 6 x 5.5.
All wheels are various offsets.

Toyota FJCruiser - 17" steel wheel, 106mm bore
Toyota Sequoia/Tundra "16 hole" - 16" steel wheel, 106mm bore
Toyota Tacoma "Oval hole" - 16" steel wheel, 106mm bore
Montero Gen 1/2 & Montero Sport Gen 1/2 - 15" steel wheel, 108mm bore
Montero Gen 3+ - 16/17" alloy wheel, 67.1 mm bore

It should be possible to run Toyota steelies on a Gen 3 with hub centric rings, assuming the offset is compatible, though I haven't yet read of anyone who has done it.

Last edited:

HMSEndeavour

Thanks for all the help!

OEM steelies are probably the ideal option but they are way too expensive for steel wheels. $177 US/each at Partmaster and $226!! US/each at Amayama! Kinda defeats the purpose of having cheaper steel wheels you can damage without worrying about cost too much. I'll probably end up giving 4WheelParts a call this summer and asking them for recommendations on Universal/Toyota wheels + hub centric rings (hopefully at a price point closer to $125 CAD/$100 USD).

HMSEndeavour

If you want to pay the import fees I can find you a nice set of factory 16in alloys.

Appreciate the offer! I think I will stick to the stock 17'' wheels for now but if I change my mind before changing my tires, I will send you a DM.

Edit 1: Seems another option is oem part 65787. They seem reasonably priced (around 75$ USD) but no one has them in stock.

Edit 2: Ended up buying steelies, part number 65787U20 for around 100 USD/125 Cad with shipping. A bit more expensive then I had hoped (around 45$ CAD more per wheel) but that is the nature of the hobby.

STL65787U.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior