General Differences Between a 2M and a CB?

Steve Curren

Explorer
Adam and Chris,
Thanks to both of you for the ideas, I will see if I can decide which will work and if I can find a local dealer who is not too far away. I would probably go with the tire swing simply becasue I will take the top off and I would have to find another place to mount it. If I mounted it on the windshield I would run into the trees and bushes problem, if I understand correctly the frame would act as a ground place?
Once again thanks to you smart ones.
Steve

AndrewP

Explorer
I had to reply to these radio threads since I've been immersed in 2m radio since the DV trip in March. I had just a few random thoughts, and Desertdude was there too and can provide prospective.

First-There is no comparison to CB. 2m is clear, long range, and has minimal interference. We were communicating truck to truck 35 miles. CB poops out at about 2 miles and that's with good line of sight.

Power-It draws 10 amps on high power. That's a lot for an automotive circuit. It must have a dedicated, heavy guage, direct wired power supply. If you buy the Yeasu that Desertdude mentioned, it comes with the correct wire. If you make your own, fuse the + and the - lead. Real radio guys will tell you to shield the wiring, but it works fine without. 10 guage is the minimum, and 8 guage wire is better.

Mount-You really shouldn't mount in the dash. The Yaesu 2800 is a big finned heat sink with no fan. It gets warm when transmitting, especially on high power. It needs good air circulation.

Antenna-Real radio guys will tell you this: get a 5/8 wave antenna. In my brief experience the Wilson 2m magnet mount antenna worked great. It's a cheap way to get started. I am currently in progress to improve my antenna system with a rear hatch lip mount, and real Antenna-a Comet SBB25. There are many choices. You will spend as much on a good mount and antenna as you do on the entry level 2m radio if you want the real deal.

Other bands-As soon as you step away from 2m the price goes up quick. None of the bands are all that useful for calling for distant help until you get into HF around 40 meters. To get that, you need a "General" class license and a very expensive radio. It's really the antennas that kill my interest in HF mobile radio. They are expensive, must be tuned each use, and are unforgiving in terms of picking up extraneous noise. ie, do it right, or don't do it. Very $$$.

Grounding-You can't ground too much. The best grounds are made with tinned copper braid. Ground the antenna to the body, the body to the frame and the frame to the engine. Each step improves your SWR. On 2m you can get away with a wire ground, but the copper braid is better, providing a low impedence path to ground.

I'm a newbie at this but the radio thing is pretty cool. There are some real experts out there in Mobile Ham Radio-seek them out. Most of them answer to "Elmer".:wavey:

I attached a pic of my mount in my 80 series Land Cruiser. I've improved it a bit since the pic, but it sits in the same spot. The radios take lot of fiddling, so mount it in easy reach.

I would be interested in other's perspective.

KI6CXS

Attachments

• Bracket2.jpg
    Bracket2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
To learn a lot more about 2m and ham radio look here
It is a very good explanation for most off roaders, and has some good links as well.
BX

Steve Curren

Explorer
Thanks to the both of you for this information, I am going to be headed for the Phoenix area next week to a store to outfit myself with a radio. With this information I will have a better understanding of both how the radio works as well as mounting the radio and the antenna. I have the information coming on how to ready myself for the test and I hopefully will be driving off road with a radio that will have a bit more range than the one I presently have.
Thanks, :bowdown:
Steve

UncleChris

Adventurer
Desertdude said:
I found http://hamradiooutlet.com/ off W Dunlap in Phoenix - everything in Stock and great info - even had GPS coordinates on the website;

The ham thing is spreading like wildfire in the offroad world :Wow1:

HRO is my vendor of choice!

I think people are starting to realize the limitations of CB and are starting to appreciate the capabilities of Amateur Radio! It is a good thing!

Steve Curren

Explorer
With all the talk about a mobil radio, what is the disadvantage to having an HT? I imagine the range is decreased but how much would it be decreased?
All this with antenna placement, mounting the antenna and the radio has me chasing my tail.:confused:

asteffes

Explorer
HTs are amazingly useful. If you're going to buy only one radio, an HT makes sense, as it can go with you on your morning dog walks, backpacking trips, other vehicles, emergency packs and all sorts of other places. You're typically limited to five watts of output power, but usually can also connect an external antenna to help maintain a good range.

The Kentood D7A can do everything the TM-V700 can do, with less output power and a smaller display. That's a lot of technology in a tiny package. The less sophisticated HTs (costing around $250-300) are very useful, too, and a great choice for a beginner.

Steve Curren

Explorer
Thanks, I have used HTs for years and I like them. Do they have better batteries that will last longer and how about items like car charger and speaker for them?
I do appreciate your advise.
Steve

asteffes

Explorer
There is a wide variety of accessories available for all the major-name HTs out there. Nickle-metal-hydride and lithium ion batteries are becoming more common. Speaker mics, replacement antennas, fast and/or trickle chargers, 12v cig outlet plugs, etc. are all available. An excellent extra to have on-hand is a battery tray that accepts standard AA alkaline cells, as an emergency backup to the main battery pack.

A fully kitted-out HT can approach or even exceed the cost of a quality mobile rig, but you do get the advantage of being able to use your HT anywhere you want.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I just bought the Yeasu 170 hand held as a hiking unit - it is real nice - Been able to transmit and recieve well over 5 miles over mnts

got a little mic and 12v adapter for it - in case we need to use it in another vehicle

Steve Curren

Explorer
The one I found I think that might fill the bill is a ICOM IC-V82. I would get the speaker mike and an alkaline battery case for back up. I will see if I can get an external antenna that fits the unit.
Thansk for the input.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Steve Curren said:
With all the talk about a mobil radio, what is the disadvantage to having an HT?

I don't think there is one.

However, I have seen a disadvantage to them if used as your only radio on a trip with friends in the backcountry. And that is that they have only one power option (low), and if used in their most simple mode of operation (hand-held) they have a limited power supply and limited range. You can improve the power and range a bit by hooking up wires... but they can be a little "messy" by the time you have them hooked up to a 12v wire, an external antenna, and possibly an external mic.

I think the best choice is to have both a HT and a unit that is hard-mounted in the vehicle. (but I know that is $$$, which is why I don't have a HT yet).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94