General Ford Expedition Thread

toastyjosh

Adventurer
Sorry, I don't check in too often as of late.

At the time the pic was taken, those were 315/70R17s. I think they were ProComps (maybe?).

No build thread, I got rid of it about a year ago; the dreaded cruise control switch claimed it. It partially caught fire and melted enough wiring under the hood that it wasn't worth dealing with.

Off the top of my head:

It had new old stock 4" coils in the rear with Rancho shocks, and the Monroe load adjusting shocks up front (part of the conversion kit to get rid of the air shocks). No front or rear sway bar, and it handled going down the beach at pretty decent speed without any issues. The plan at the time was to replace the stock bumpstops with some hydraulic bump stops (like Daystar's) as the suspension was pliable enough to go fast, but would have been better served by some better bump stops.

The plan was also to throw on some 37s and trim as needed. IIRC, it really didn't need much to clearance 37s on those wheels (going by tape measure, so don't quote me on this).

1st gens are ridiculously good for what they are, and an overlooked gem. (almost)AWD on demand after brown wire mod, decently strong IFS, and a Sterlling 9.75 rear axle with a really good 4 speed transmission and transfercase. Oh, and space for days.

I honestly expect these to come up more and more as people look for robust, affordable body on frame SUV's with enough technology to make them convenient, but not so much to make them a liability.

Thanks Ivan! Bummer about the truck, your right I am surprised there not more popular. I sold my 80 so I am looking for a expedition or sequioa whichever I can find cheap. Thats what I love about the firs gens you can snag them for 1500 all day.
Thanks for the info!

Ivan

Lost in Space
Thanks Ivan! Bummer about the truck, your right I am surprised there not more popular. I sold my 80 so I am looking for a expedition or sequioa whichever I can find cheap. Thats what I love about the firs gens you can snag them for 1500 all day.
Thanks for the info!

I looked into a Sequoia at the same time as I bought the Expedition, and what kept me from pulling the trigger were three kind of simple things:

1) Toyota Tax. It seemed like regardless of condition, they were more expensive than a similar year Expedition with far less miles.

2) The ATRAC and compatibility with a locker/limited slip/mechanical traction aid/whatever.

3) The running gear when compared to the Expedition.

I felt that overall the Expedition offered more value for the price in comparison to the Sequoia. The one huge upside the Sequoia has going for it is the aftermarket with suspension bits galore, not to mention everything else. The Expedition lacks that unless you choose to make some of those bits yourself. One of the other things I was also looking into at the time was replicating something similar to the coilover conversion bracket(s) for the GM GMT800s, especially since the top shock mount on the air ride models (namely the Eddie Bauer) sits so much higher than the shock mount on the non-air ride models. I think this would have been a viable solution which would have enhanced the overall performance of the platform.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd look for a 1998 - early 1999 model as it came with 3.73's stock, and the early variant of the BW4406 TOD which had the 2wd option built in (as opposed to the Auto 4wd of the 1999.5 to 2002 variants which forces you to do the brown wire mod if you want 2wd). Keep it even simpler with a non rear A/C model.

Readjust torsion bars, add coil spacers to the rear, throw on some 35s, and call it a day.

toastyjosh

Adventurer
I looked into a Sequoia at the same time as I bought the Expedition, and what kept me from pulling the trigger were three kind of simple things:

1) Toyota Tax. It seemed like regardless of condition, they were more expensive than a similar year Expedition with far less miles.

2) The ATRAC and compatibility with a locker/limited slip/mechanical traction aid/whatever.

3) The running gear when compared to the Expedition.

I felt that overall the Expedition offered more value for the price in comparison to the Sequoia. The one huge upside the Sequoia has going for it is the aftermarket with suspension bits galore, not to mention everything else. The Expedition lacks that unless you choose to make some of those bits yourself. One of the other things I was also looking into at the time was replicating something similar to the coilover conversion bracket(s) for the GM GMT800s, especially since the top shock mount on the air ride models (namely the Eddie Bauer) sits so much higher than the shock mount on the non-air ride models. I think this would have been a viable solution which would have enhanced the overall performance of the platform.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd look for a 1998 - early 1999 model as it came with 3.73's stock, and the early variant of the BW4406 TOD which had the 2wd option built in (as opposed to the Auto 4wd of the 1999.5 to 2002 variants which forces you to do the brown wire mod if you want 2wd). Keep it even simpler with a non rear A/C model.

Readjust torsion bars, add coil spacers to the rear, throw on some 35s, and call it a day.

Thanks dude that just sold it for me!

toastyjosh

Adventurer
Replace the 2000 Expedition- in the garage at least. The Explorer, after doing a few improvements and maintenance items, is going to be my vehicle of choice for offroad car camping.

The new Expedition is a 2014 XLT with almost every option. I think the nav radio is the only thing I don’t have. It’s got dual zone climate front with rear HVAC controls (makes it triple zone, no?), leather, heated/cooled front seats, heated 2nd row captain chairs, sunroof, backup camera...... It’s so much quieter on the road than my 2000 Expedition- and both have all terrain LT tires. The 2014 is just going to be a daily driver and family road trip vehicle. It might do some camping, but it will be tame camping (think road tripping and sleeping in a tent style). I need to get the 2000 up for sale.

tom is this yours??

robuilt

Great thread. Nice to see some like minded folks. Just picked up my “New To Me” 98 Expedition, Camino Bob, for $600. It’s strictly our family adventure vehicle. It will have an Overland emphasis like my old XJ and JKU. I love the space!

Grassland

Isn't the ride uncomfortable with cranked torsion bars?
I ran an 08 Ranger for years with cranked bars and Bilstein shocks. Wasn't as comfortable as when stock.

The tenth gen F150 and first gen Expedition are related, correct?
Always liked the looks of these guys on 35s. Heck, even on a beefy 33

ExplorerTom

Explorer
My Expedition on cranked torsion bars rode better than my Explorer on cranked torsion bars.

And yes, the 10th gen F150 and 1st gen Expedition are closely related.

Ivan

Lost in Space
Isn't the ride uncomfortable with cranked torsion bars?
I ran an 08 Ranger for years with cranked bars and Bilstein shocks. Wasn't as comfortable as when stock.

The tenth gen F150 and first gen Expedition are related, correct?
Always liked the looks of these guys on 35s. Heck, even on a beefy 33

Not in my experience at all. At least not with the Eddie Bauer model since it does have softer torsion bars.

MattF350

Observer
Id really like an expedition. But my goodness....they got expensive. Id prefer an SUV to a van for 4wd (winter can be rough here).

Sure wish the Excursions were a thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior