GenIII Limited Slip Diff

Worshington

Observer
Hey Gang,

So I was goofing around on the way home from work today in my GenIII, and I decided to put it in a cross axel to educate myself on the capabilities of the LSD on my '02 Monty Limited. I could not get it to engage! I was wondering if anyone had some magic techniques for making this thing work. I tried a few different things…the rear passenger tire kept spinning while the rear driver side tire had plenty of grab and remained motionless.

-I tried keep the tire spinning at a slow and constant rate
-I tried revving
-I tried applying the hand brake lightly
-I tried applying the hand brake forcefully

Anyone have any insight on how to get these things to perform on demand?

Worshington

Observer
I believe all 01-02 GenIII's came with them as standard equipment in the Limited trim. Mine is a Limited…I bought it under the impression it had the LSD.

Worshington

Observer
The truck has 175,000 miles on it…I've put 40,000 on it. I haven't changed the fluid, but it doesn't look too bad.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
The truck has 175,000 miles on it…I've put 40,000 on it. I haven't changed the fluid, but it doesn't look too bad.

Changing the fluid would seems like a logical place to start.

To get my LSD to engage with one rear wheel in the air, partially applying the e-brake (to pre-load the LSD) while modulating the gas pedal works.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
The Mitsubishi LSD used in the Montero/Pajero is a hybrid design using a helical gearset (Torsen, Eaton, etc.) and a clutchpack. The gearset designs are stronger, but do not function under free-spin since they need some torque on both wheels. The clutch pack was added in case of a free-spinning wheel to heat up and engage enough to provide torque for the gears to lock.

The double check is to look for HYBLID LSD on the back of the rear differential case. Some have said that all 01-02 Limited models had the LSD, but that would be the only way to confirm it was not swapped with another one. (Some have swapped LSD into 03+ models or swapped to XLS 4.9 gears)

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
The diff needs servicing one way or another. The oil may look good but what sort of oil is it?

Plumberjohn

Observer
the Diff has a code on it. I cant remember them right now, but the Limited has one diff, and the XLS (?) has another. I believe that the XLS has the LSD. can anyone confirm?

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Can someone with a confirmed Limited Slip diff take a pic of the tag so I know what it looks like? I will be checking mine now that it is up for debate....

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I haven't owned a Gen 3 with a Limited slip diff but Mitsubishi has always used a bright orange sticker much like the locking differential sticker.
080531-m-rwd-sticker-lg.jpg

lsd.jpg

HYBL1D LSD

images

KyleT

Explorer
Should have a LSD.

03-06 does not. As Far as I know all 2001-2002 has the LSD.

The fluid clutch portion is integral to the diff. I.E. not serviceable from my understanding.

You can left foot brake to help it engage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier