Getting it up

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I am looking at suspension kits for Chevrolet 2500/3500 trucks. Anyone have real world experience with kits by Cognito Mortorsports, Tuff Country, Rough Country, Rancho, et al?

I am NOT looking for urban bling, but rather increased wheel travel and ground clearance for the body/bumper - the things that matter for long term, bad road travel.

Also interested in the ability of the Duramax diesel to turn larger diameter tires without going to larger gears. (Again, not interested in rok krawler tires.)

Comments and photo links appreciated.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
End of an Era

If/When I retire, I am planning to take a serious look at the Tiger CX, a mini motorhome built on a Ford or Chevrolet one ton pickup.

As old habits die hard, I would make it into a King Tiger, with larger diameter tires and enough lift to keep the back end out of some of the dirt. Similarly, I have long been a Chevrolet/Isuzu owner, thus I feel an affinity towards the brand.

Thus my guestimate is that I would start with a Chevrolet extended or twin cab, Duramax/Allison, and go from there. My opening bid tire has always been a 12.00x15 or 12.00x16.5. Today, folks are running a bit narrower (I have 7.50x16 on my Land Cruiser) but some diameter and volume pay off in keeping out of trouble and not chipping the china on the trail.

So I am looking towards a 2013 or so model year. :)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
RCD or Cognito are the best performing, most reliable kits that I've seen. I've installed many. Cognito has a really nice 4" kit that doesn't drop the torsion bars. A good guy to deal with is Nick @ Nor Cal Truck. He does a lot of these trucks, and does a good job.

Steering upgrades are mandatory when lifting these trucks.....

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
snip.....

Indeed. We had to thoroughly modify the steering on Rod's D-Max to live with the 37" Baja's. The OE steering parts are surprisingly puny.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Droooooool!

Something like this?

Yup! That would be the beast. :drool:

I have been tracking two of them; one just finished South America and one just starting. Both have done well with minimal problems, in contrast to some other vehicles. But as you can see from the picture, there are some things hanging a bit low. (Is it yours?)

I still think the old 11.00x15 is a well proportioned tire. (But you need 8+ ply rating for protection against cuts.

103637675.jpg

Means a bit less of this:

103074600.jpg

(Note how the fuel tank and differential left nice patterns in the sand!

I have found that a little bit of lift can be useful, but merely rearching a spring or shoving a block under something is NOT a good answer.

I will not being doing Africa again, but I would like something that can handle reasonable dirt without dragging.

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
RCD or Cognito are the best performing, most reliable kits that I've seen. I've installed many. Cognito has a really nice 4" kit that doesn't drop the torsion bars. A good guy to deal with is Nick @ Nor Cal Truck. He does a lot of these trucks, and does a good job.

I had a very nice chat with "Chad" at Cognito this afternoon. Very good chat; he seemed to know what he was talking about as opposed to the usual "Dooood, you can run 47 inchers, no problem!" type. He also seemed to understand what I was trying to do. I will call them again at the appropriate time.

jh504

Explorer
I have no experience with the newer models. I am learning my 2004 right now. Sounds like Ujoint knows what he is talking about.

GlobalMonkey

Adventurer
Duramax Tiger

Yup! That would be the beast. :drool:

I have been tracking two of them; one just finished South America and one just starting. Both have done well with minimal problems, in contrast to some other vehicles. But as you can see from the picture, there are some things hanging a bit low. (Is it yours?)

I still think the old 11.00x15 is a well proportioned tire. (But you need 8+ ply rating for protection against cuts.

103637675.jpg

Means a bit less of this:

103074600.jpg

(Note how the fuel tank and differential left nice patterns in the sand!

I have found that a little bit of lift can be useful, but merely rearching a spring or shoving a block under something is NOT a good answer.

I will not being doing Africa again, but I would like something that can handle reasonable dirt without dragging.

Our minds work in a similar way. I have been talking to ProVan (builder of Tiger) about building a Tiger on a 2010 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab. We will be discovering North America part time over the next 3 years and than hitting the road full time. The Crew Cab Tiger on the photo is not mine, it is one ProVan built earlier this year for another client, I don't even have the truck yet.
The suspension was also on my mind, so your thread will answer also many of my questions.
How are you gonna deal with lack of availability of low sulfur diesel in Central and South America?
Thanks, Tomas

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Tigers on the prowl

Thomas,

The two experts on Provan Tigers are:

http://www.travelin-tortuga.com/Site/Home_Page.html

and

http://www.whiteacorn.com

The Howes, the family in the first link have finished about two years in Latin America with a 2007 - no fuel problems.

Nina and Rob are in Colombia now, also with a 2007/8.

There are a few Tiger owners who pop their heads in here, but most Tiger owners are not rock crawlers, so they tend to hang out at a Yahoo! "Tigermotorhomeowners" site and sometimes at RV.net.

Tigers get flamed by the Earthroamer crowd as not being "serious" off roaders. The ususal reply seems to be to simply go on another trip.

In my case, after over fifteen years in South America, we will probably not be heading back. (Might do Central America.) Similarly, after the same number of years, we won't be heading back to Africa. The goal would be the United States and Europe, extending down to North Africa and back to Jordan, where I grew up.

A stock Tiger could probably do that without breathing hard, I just like the comfort margin of getting the tanks, etc., out of the way. Further, while the GM is generally claimed to have the best ride, I dislike instinctively a suspension that is effectively bottomed out all of the time, even if it is on "magic" rubber.

GlobalMonkey

Adventurer
Nina and Rob

I knew about the Howes, but not about Nina and Rob. I've spent the entire day on their website...thanks DiploStrat:wings:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
My advice is to keep the suspension as near to stock as possible as far for all the control arm, steering, and CV angles.

If you want to push it harder look into fiberglass fenders and bedsides in order to run a larger tire with the stock height suspension. The increase in tire diameter will give you the most gains in performance off-road anyways.
Don't forget a nice light aluminum belly pan from the front bumper to the transfer case and perhaps the fuel tank.

If you want to go faster over the rough stuff install some very high quality shocks (Remote Reservoir 2.5" Dia min) and some hydro-pneumatic bump stops. I think Light Racing even has a bolt on Jounce Shock kit for that year truck. Don't forget to upgrade the steering linkage as mentioned, it is a pretty known weak point. In general a set of great quality shocks and bump stops will allow you to push the truck hard enough that the twisting of the frame becomes the limiting factor.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
My advice is to keep the suspension as near to stock as possible as far for all the control arm, steering, and CV angles.

If you want to push it harder look into fiberglass fenders and bedsides in order to run a larger tire with the stock height suspension. The increase in tire diameter will give you the most gains in performance off-road anyways.
Don't forget a nice light aluminum belly pan from the front bumper to the transfer case and perhaps the fuel tank.

If you want to go faster over the rough stuff install some very high quality shocks (Remote Reservoir 2.5" Dia min) and some hydro-pneumatic bump stops. I think Light Racing even has a bolt on Jounce Shock kit for that year truck. Don't forget to upgrade the steering linkage as mentioned, it is a pretty known weak point. In general a set of great quality shocks and bump stops will allow you to push the truck hard enough that the twisting of the frame becomes the limiting factor.

I agree with all of the above (if you can keep the gearing right with the larger tires), but I find 2" - 4" lift worth its weight in non-broken things if:

-- It keeps body parts away from sand, mud, and rocks. Especially on a camper vehicle which may have a REALLY tender underbelly. (Batteries, water tanks, etc.) They are not clean like a good 4x4.

-- You gain some free suspension travel. I don't ever want to bottom out. (Hard to avoid on some new suspensions.) Bottoming can send tremendous shocks through the whole vehicle which can do bad things to your kitchen, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior