Ghazal 1, coming to Saudi Arabia soon

haven

Expedition Leader
Students at King Saud University have designed an update to the venerable Mercedes G-Wagen. It's called the Ghazal 1. (A Ghazal is a type of desert antelope.) Magna Steyer, the company that builds G-Wagens for Mercedes, offered some engineering assistance to the project.

Here's the result:

Ghazal-1.jpg

Ghazal-2.jpg

In the best tradition of "Pimp My Ride," the project primarily changes the sheet metal and the audio/video system. Can't roll without big rims, either.

The King of Saudi Arabia was sufficiently impressed with the project to bankroll production of the Ghazal 1. No word at this point how many will be built. This could be the start of a trend to produce Saudi designed versions of popular vehicles.

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
Roof line of the HHR

Hood line and cues from the FJC

Looks lame

Interesting observations. I agree too, if perhaps it was not in mint for the sample photographs I'd have a better appeal to me. How did Magna Steyr help? Do you know by chance?

Hunter

Scott Brady

Founder
Ick! I love my G-Wagon just as it is. I love the fact that the 2010 is still a box mounted to the superstructure of a tank

It’s like watching an elephant in high heels and lipstick. It goes against nature and prevents the animal from doing the job it’s so well adapted to.
What happened to serious vehicles for serious people?

haven

Expedition Leader
Look at it this way: Mercedes needs customers to justify building the G-Wagen chassis. The Ghazal 1 gives one more reason to keep the production line running.

Magna Steyer has a contract with Mercedes to build the G-Wagen through 2015. After that, I'm guessing that there won't be enough demand for the G-Wagen to continue marketing a civilian version. The military version continues to be in demand. The German Army has ordered an up-armored version of the G-Wagen. Read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAPV_Enok

zimm

Expedition Leader
i cant figure out the point of rounding off a G, when the g's big shortcoming is cargo space.

if they added 6" to butt at the expense of departure angle, then it would be more in line with a normal suv and you could fit a bigger fuel cell and a higher mounted hitch.

all and all, ill take it as is. thats a change without an improvement.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Magna Steyer has a contract with Mercedes to build the G-Wagen through 2015. After that, I'm guessing that there won't be enough demand for the G-Wagen to continue marketing a civilian version. The military version continues to be in demand. The German Army has ordered an up-armored version of the G-Wagen. Read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAPV_Enok

Military and civilian Gwagens roll down the assembly line all mixed together one after another. You will see a bare bones 461, a military G, and a G55K in succession. Pretty amazing really, but very possible with the hand assembly process and good organization. Each vehicle is built to the specific specs of the buyer. The division managers at Mercedes Benz have said that the G-class will continue to be built as long as it is economically feasible. Initially 2005 was to be the last year, then 2010, now it is 2015. If they get another big military contract it may be extended further.

As for the bastard child above, it is not to my taste, but to each their own.

Last edited:

burquedoka

Adventurer
Dude, I'm sorry, but that thing is awful! You think the G is limited sales now..... At least it has a following for a reason. With a change like that, how can anyone expect a fan base to ensue? I just don't see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz