Gitout.com - Ultimate Expedition Build - 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Limited

TheFriZ

Just rolled over 20k miles of ownership. Monte has been a champ.

Still enjoying the Ko2 tires. On road driving is fantastic. Hit the best MPG driving to Evan's Creek - 23mpg. Previous best with these tires was 21mpg coming down from Canada. The tires had no issues at Evan's Creek (driving all the trails - youtube it) and Naches Trail. Great traction so far.

You're logging up to 23mpg?! What's your true average? I have a Gen2.5 that obviously only has the 4.27 gears on a 31" tire. Granted I need a tune up, and some other work that would be hindering my mileage, I'm getting about 17-16mpg mixed, which I'm not unhappy with, but I hope you get it higher.

The main reason I ask is because there wife and I are selling her 98 SR5 4Runner and originally planned to get her a nice Acura TL Type-S or an Infinti I35 or something, But since she's driven my 1999, she really likes Montero. She had a 94 FZJ80 Land Cruiser with a TJM Progressive Rate 2.5" Lift and 285/75/16 Duratracs before and really misses it; the fuel mileage was just horrendous though.

I'm thinking a 3rd Gen Montero would be right up her alley! I'm curious to the mileage though. What do they get in the real world stock? How about stock gears on ~33" tires?

I know I want 35s on my Gen2.5, but I'm scared to go bigger than a 33" With my 4.27s. I used to have a 3linked Cherokee and I ran 33s with 4.88 gears and loved it; it could have handled 35s. i really hope to achieve 19-20mpg with Sport 4.90s and ~35" tires. ...

montypower

Adventure Time!
Lifetime average over 25,000 miles is 16mpg. Off road pulls down the average.

Mixed driving 16-17mpg is the best you'll do with Gen 2.5. That's very respectable actually.

Fuel mileage all depends on how and where you drive any vehicle. There's no way to say what you will actually get. Mine was around 18mpg stock mixed driving. Mixed driving now is 16-17mpg (it's heavy and stop/go drops mpg). On the road, it does as good as stock when keeping speeds @ 65mph. The 3.8L and skinny 33s works alright. Not punchy or as fun to drive. With speedo correction it was 1-2mpg less than stock.

19-20 mpg will never happen with 35s unless you are going down hill. Too much rolling resistance and weight.

I think these 34x10.5" tires are the absolute perfect size and tire for this truck.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Montero build is complete! And it is now moved to a new owner (my cousin). This truck will be missed. Purchased with 90k miles. It has just over 116k miles. 26k miles of trips and fun times! And probably $40k... Probably the most extensively modified 3rd Gen in the USA. To complete this thread here are current truck photos...

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

BGF K20 - 34x10.5 R17 - Absolutely best tire size / combo for this truck. Running 4.90 axle gears.

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

Bumper by : Joe @ Journey Offroad - Fantastic job! - http://www.journeyoffroad.com/

10.JPG

11.JPG

Kept the factory hitch. Raised 10"? - Quarter panels were raised 4-6" on both sides. Rear heater removed. Rear muffler removed.

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

montypower

Adventure Time!
16.JPG

Warn Zeon 10S Winch - Wireless

17.JPG

18.JPG

Safari Snorkel

19.JPG

3.8L Motor - Fantastic! 5 speed Auto (selectable gears - holds speed downhill, very nice) - Replaced nearly everything under the hood. Heads, every seal, hose, sensor - preventative maintenance.

20.JPG

ARB Compressor - for tire air and front/rear ARB lockers (such a great setup)

21.JPG

King Coilovers 2.5" Resi - Only set in the US. Custom clearanced upper control arm. Every suspension part replaced (factory parts) over $3k in parts. Including OEM complete CV axles. Probably the only ones the dealer has ever sold.

22.JPG

Full skids. They've seen some action.

23.JPG

High clearance muffler. Custom tank skid by Joe @ Journey Off Road. New gas tank, fuel pump, sender (factory parts).

24.JPG

Rear muffler removed. High clearance rear end.

25.JPG

26.JPG

27.JPG

28.JPG

Parrot Asteroid Radio : Navigation. Added Kicker sub. Using factory amp / speakers. Switch panel by Joe @ Journey Off Road.

29.JPG

2 Meter Radio.

30.JPG

31.JPG

32.JPG

33.JPG

Sleeping platform removed. Original interior installed. ARB 63qt fridge

34.JPG

35.JPG

36.JPG

37.JPG

Hope that can inspire and help other 3rd Gen owners. Probably one of the best SUV travel platforms available in the US. Smaller than 100 Series Land Cruiser (yet more interior space), IFS/IRS makes for exceptional ride, near perfect 50/50 weight balance makes trail obstacles look easy. By far the favorite Montero I've owned. I've had 1989 LS, 1992 RS, 1995 SR, 2000 Sport.

FullMonte

Adventurer
It was an honor and a pleasure to have followed this build and to have seen this Monty's performance power in real life. Pete, you and your bro are awesome and I hope to see you guys again on the trail!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

montypower

Adventure Time!
It was an honor and a pleasure to have followed this build and to have seen this Monty's performance power in real life. Pete, you and your bro are awesome and I hope to see you guys again on the trail!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Thanks Man! Will do more trail adventures down the road for sure!

Djbenny

Adventurer
That's awesome. Thanks for sharing and thanks for some inspiration. They are beautiful vehicles and perform amazing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
It really did turn out to be an amazing rig. I agree that the rear protection is inspiring...gives me ideas!

So what's the bottom line on the 34 inch tires with 4.90 gears? Do you have accurate before/after mpg and speed figures?

montypower

Adventure Time!
Speedo is dead on with 35s and 4.90 gears. It reads 3-4 mph fast @ 60 with the 34s. Fuel mileage is very good (in my opinion). Lifetime average (26k miles) off road / on road was over 16mpg. Handful of tanks in the 22-24mpg range on trips (road driving for range). It was always rolling well over 6,000lbs so that is rather good.

Keep in mind this was my adventure vehicle. It was only used for trips and lots of off road miles. It went all over Oregon, Washington, California, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Canada... plus it's original voyage off road from Georgia to Oregon via TAT. Never broke down or had a mechanical failure. Even drove through the Rubicon with no pre-trip prep. Then drove it through Yosemite a week later without doing any post Rubicon work to the truck (logged another 1,500+ miles on that trip). Not many vehicles can do that.

Going to be doing longer range trips coming up... Ordered a FWC for the Tundra. Baja trip is in order!

MrWesson

Adventurer
Wouldn't happen to have any videos of that thing tackling some obstacles would you?

I think we'd all like to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior