Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

1000arms

"At a compact 23x12x17.8-inches, the EU3200i has the smallest footprint of any model in the Honda 3000-watt generator class. Adding to the maneuverability, integrated upper and lower handles and a weight of 59.1 pounds make the generator easy to lift, move, and store." is from:

:unsure: ... Maybe one of these could also be your backpacking generator? ... :cool:

1000arms

Electric cooking can be quite useful when open-flames are banned, although sometimes generators are also banned. Propane-burning camping-stoves are relatively low cost.

You already have a generator, so you could try electric cooking in your "Jon Boat". Just pack an extension cord so you (and the bears) can use your air-fryer well away from your rig. :)

Mules

Electric cooking can be quite useful when open-flames are banned, although sometimes generators are also banned. Propane-burning camping-stoves are relatively low cost.

You already have a generator, so you could try electric cooking in your "Jon Boat". Just pack an extension cord so you (and the bears) can use your air-fryer well away from your rig. :)
Sounds like a plan. I already have a nice 3000w generator (Coleman 3000i is made by Generac), that is quiet, small and very efficient.

I might cut a hole in my counter and flush mount this cheap induction stove.

In general, I don't need 3000w of power, the generator will easily power anything else I dream of (Fridge, Heater, Electronics, power tools, and even my air-fryer!).

Only PIA is that I have to pull the generator out of the truck to run it. Now I'm wondering if I can leave the generator in the truck and just route the exhaust out.:unsure:

Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 12.04.46 PM.png

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Sounds like a plan. I already have a nice 3000w generator (Coleman 3000i is made by Generac), that is quiet, small and very efficient. I might cut a hole in my counter and flush mount this cheap induction stove.
I have no direct experience but 'understand' most induction cooktops require pure sine wave power vs. modified sine wave power, so does the Coleman put out a pure sine wave, or are you using a separate invert to get that?

Mules

I have no direct experience but 'understand' most induction cooktops require pure sine wave power vs. modified sine wave power, so does the Coleman put out a pure sine wave, or are you using a separate invert to get that?
Good question MOG, requiring some research. You had me stumped for a bit. My 3000i is an inverter generator with a clean sine wave used for sensitive electronics, so I'm pretty sure it will work with an induction cook top. I'll definitely test, before cutting any holes in my counter.

Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 4.27.23 PM.png

Mules

Here are some other simple options for cooking in my camper. No need for generators, propane, solar, or battery banks, just plug into your 12v cigarette lighter and go. Low power and slow, no flame and no need for my generator or propane. Just turn on my engine while I cook. Sounds like a good option for my solo camping trips.

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 5.26.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-15 at 6.59.32 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-15 at 6.56.31 AM.png

1000arms

Here are some other simple options for cooking in my camper. No need for generators, propane, solar, or battery banks, just plug into your 12v cigarette lighter and go. Low power and slow, no flame and no need for my generator or propane. Just turn on my engine while I cook. Sounds like a good option for my solo camping trips.

View attachment 761009View attachment 761010View attachment 761011
I strongly suggest checking the wattage. A "cooking" device powered through a 12 V DC "cigarette lighter socket" will be low power compared to a 1200 watt to 1800 watt home countertop device.

Mules

I strongly suggest checking the wattage. A "cooking" device powered through a 12 V DC "cigarette lighter socket" will be low power compared to a 1200 watt to 1800 watt home countertop device.
You’re right, these 12 volt appliances are only 140 to 180 watts.

Mules

Alright, I'm a bit skeptical, but a friend on another forum has been using these for a couple years and suggested them. Here's a video on a 180watt 12v pan frying a burger. The jury is out.

TripLeader

Explorer
Alright, I'm a bit skeptical, but a friend on another forum has been using these for a couple years and suggested them. Here's a video on a 180watt 12v pan frying a burger. The jury is out.

Looks to me like it would work for cooking.

1. You'd likely be cooking in the vehicle, depending in cord length. I wouldn't want my interior smelling like a hamburger for the next 5 hours. Not to mention cooking in bear country. A cord extension would be handy to get it outside to a place of your choosing. (Assuming the power cord is only 2-3 feet.)

2. It looks satisfactory for 1 or 2 burgers at a time. But probably longer cooking time than gas. Cleanup would probably be easy.

3. Storage space would not be an issue.

4. No worry about running out of propane, or other conventional stove fuel.

5. Overall, I think I'd prefer gas for the portability around camp. But I see the value in electric too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior