Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

pith helmet

Looking good.
Will the upper bunk be the only bed?
I guess If you got ready to camp and the conditions were really nasty you could crawl to the back to wait it out.
Will you have a way to open the tailgate from inside?
This is what I did on the JKU.

Attachments

• F0F9C96D-083B-4453-A6C4-E8C4AD85F57C.jpeg
    F0F9C96D-083B-4453-A6C4-E8C4AD85F57C.jpeg
    802.9 KB · Views: 29

Mules

The bed platform will be like an ecamper and comes apart in sections?
Kevin
The bed platform is a single piece of plywood hinged on front. It will fit a 3/4 full sized or RV mattress (48" x 75"). This leaves about a 16" gap in the back to climb in and out of the bed. It will have pneumatic struts on the sides to push it up, while walking around below. Because I made the top so tall, there is about 8 ft. of standing room in most of the camper when the bed is pushed up.

Even with the bed pulled down, I can still sit underneath it in lawn chairs without hitting my head.

You'll still be able to sleep in the lower area, if I get the furniture worked out the way I want. That's another project.

With the top down, there is still 18" height upstairs. Plenty of storage up there for mattress, pillows, sleeping bags, duffle bags and such.

I still need to add an inside door latch for the back hatch. Lots of stuff to do still but I'm getting pretty excited.

The Artisan

Adventurer
The bed platform is a single piece of plywood hinged on front. It will fit a 3/4 full sized or RV mattress (48" x 75"). This leaves about a 16" gap in the back to climb in and out of the bed. It will have pneumatic struts on the sides to push it up, while walking around below. Because I made the top so tall, there is about 8 ft. of standing room in most of the camper when the bed is pushed up.

Even with the bed pulled down, I can still sit underneath it in lawn chairs without hitting my head.

You'll still be able to sleep in the lower area, if I get the furniture worked out the way I want. That's another project.

With the top down, there is still 18" height upstairs. Plenty of storage up there for mattress, pillows, sleeping bags, duffle bags and such.

I still need to add an inside door latch for the back hatch. Lots of stuff to do still but I'm getting pretty excited.
16" works it looked tight from the pics
Kevin

The Artisan

Adventurer
His other pod was a better size. Can you imagine him his gf and 2 dogs living in that full time.?‍♂️. I did a rendering with one of my protos for a local potential which gives more room for 2
Kevin20201020_141039.jpg

The Artisan

Adventurer
I agree, extending over the cab is a great way to increase the living area of your space.
With that small of a bed you really have to
. In one the videos he said here is our table but did not really explain his storage, kitchen area etc. That stuff really adds up
Kevin

Mules

Alright I learned a couple things today.

1). Don’t use black carpeting with spray adhesive, unless you’re a pro. The adhesive is grey and a little overspray will show on the black. If you can, pick grey.

2) Don’t round the edges of plywood if you are going to carpet. The square edge is a perfect place to run a knife for a seam. I routered my plywood edge round, which looks cool but adds a lot of work.

All in all, I think the bed platform looks pretty good.

8D4D1D88-4762-4098-B77B-48F7DF93D7C5.jpegE25E2E19-E4C1-4F3B-A6FA-4E3A2D62506D.jpeg500C1F28-8727-4851-9914-1874B63F7524.jpegB3DF0BA3-E500-432A-8269-5C829FAAB981.jpeg

The Artisan

Adventurer

1). Don’t use black carpeting with spray adhesive, unless you’re a pro. The adhesive is grey and a little overspray will show on the black. If you can, pick grey.

2) Don’t round the edges of plywood if you are going to carpet. The square edge is a perfect place to run a knife for a seam. I routered my plywood edge round, which looks cool but adds a lot of work.

All in all, I think the bed platform looks pretty good.

View attachment 716417View attachment 716418View attachment 716419View attachment 716420
Are you going to drill any holes in platform so the mattress can vent?
Kevin

The Artisan

Adventurer

Did you get bleed through from the backside when you pressed the carpet to the ply?
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz