Globalstar Sat-Fi2 satellite hotspot & phone combo

Inyo80

Globalstar announced a new Sat-Fi2 product yesterday.

Press release: https://www.globalstar.com/corporate/press/releases?pr=1004
Product: https://www.globalstar.com/satfi2

It's an 802.11 wireless hotspot. Connecting via a phone app (Android, IOS) it supports:
- phone
- two-way text
- web
- email
- social media
- etc.

Runs on internal battery or 5v micro-USB.

It has a lot of capabilities in a small package. Not cheap but not that expensive either considering what it can do.

Last edited:
Too much a month for so little offered. Roaming and long distance charges additional when not in home zone, that will eliminate a lot of users. No difference in benefits in paying annually than by month. Still a 12 month contract and appears no way to put plan on hold. MB will be consumed rapidly if downloading maps or weather radar. No Mexico or South American coverage. Appears to only offer coverage to domestic and European locations.

Inyo80

Roaming and long distance charges additional when not in home zone, that will eliminate a lot of users.
Probably depends on the geographical size of a home zone and cost. I didn't see either listed.

MB will be consumed rapidly if downloading maps or weather radar.
I use various mapping s/w and combo of laptop, tablet or GPSR depending on mode of travel. I definitely don't go anywhere off the grid and rely on downloading map tiles from google.

It has a weather widget built in, based on GPS location. IMO that's good for alerts and casual use; personally, for planning anything serious I prefer reading a text based "forecast discussion" from the NOAA website. Getting access to that remotely for real-time updates would be awesome and wouldn't use much bandwidth.

No Mexico or South American coverage. Appears to only offer coverage to domestic and European locations.
Globalstar has ground stations in other countries/continents around the world. There's a note other areas are coming soon...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles