GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I have the torsion key lift in front and a 1" block in back. If I got the 3/4 ton suburban spring pack am I right in thinking the back end would be 2" higher than the front? Also would the Bilstein #24-185615 still work?
My van with key's in front and those springs in back is a little lower in back than the front. I think a 1" block would bring it back to level. But my van is definitely heavy. I haven't weighed it empty but on our last month long outing fully loaded I was over GVW.
My gut says you would be fine using the same shocks with a 1" block and that spring pack but the only you would need to measure at full droop with those installed to be sure.

JP.

What to look for when buying a used AWD Express / Savana?
Thank you for this thread, I've learned a ton. I'm in the market for an upgrade from our venerable 2WD Sportsmobile Pop Top and am seriously considering an AWD Express / Savana, and moving the pop top to it. As owners of these vehicles what would you tell a buyer to watch for?

Is there a maximum mileage to consider for a van that will need to be a trustworthy trip vehicle used 10k miles a year?
The 4L60E trans is a weak link. Most used vans I see have trailer hitches, so they likely have towed. Any way to evaluate the trans / transfer case? Is there a mileage threshold where a trans rebuild is in order?
Looks like the torsion keys get frozen with rust. Is there an easy way to inspect and determine if they are frozen?
Are there body / trim things that tend to fail and are expensive / difficult to repair? (like sliding doors vs barn doors, etc)
5.3L v8 has a pretty good reliability record. What to watch for here?
3.42 and 3.73 ratios were available. I intend to upsize tires. Strong feelings either way on axle ratio?
G80 locker was available as an option. Is it worth finding one with this already installed? If not, what is a typical cost to upgrade it?
There are a lot of these with side doors on both sides. I would assume they are heavier and it probably limits payload. Anybody have opinions on the weight difference / benefit difference?
There are a bunch of dual side door conversion vans with ground effects kits for sale nearby. Is stripping the ground effects a viable option? I know on G Vans that body penetrations led to rust in short order here in Michigan.

North

Observer
Mine has been relatively sound mechanically. There are some common body/trim issues and some minor mechanical issues:

Paint
- The white paint on these vans is atrocious. Rock chips will eventually turn into fully peeling panels as water ingresses and lifts the paint from the primer. Look for one in any color other than white if possible.

Interior
- Grab handles on driver and passenger doors are consumables. The doors are heavy and the design is weak.
- Sliding door handles will break frequently. I believe there was an update to the mechanism at some point (mine is 2008).

Front end Components
- Things like tie rods, ball joints, and wheel hubs will start to go after 150K or so (like most vehicles)

Engine
- The 5.3 will likely have broken exhaust manifold bolts at the head. This can cause a leak, which IME is not a major problem. It is typically not an easy fix, but maybe will offer some negotiating room.

MoonMan

There are a bunch of dual side door conversion vans with ground effects kits for sale nearby. Is stripping the ground effects a viable option? I know on G Vans that body penetrations led to rust in short order here in Michigan.

I bought a 2012 Explorer conversion van with the ground effects about 1 year ago. I pulled the ground effects myself and it was an easy job. Most of the kit was installed using self tapping screws and there were over 100 holes in the body when I was done. I had a body shop weld/grind the holes and paint the lower 12" with bed liner. On mine the front bumper step and lower air deflector were missing and needed to be replaced. The rear bumper step was in place but had abrasion/wear marks from the bumper cover.

JP.

- The white paint on these vans is atrocious. Rock chips will eventually turn into fully peeling panels as water ingresses and lifts the paint from the primer. Look for one in any color other than white if possible.
Thanks! Good to know about the white paint

On mine the front bumper step and lower air deflector were missing and needed to be replaced. The rear bumper step was in place but had abrasion/wear marks from the bumper cover.
Didn't realize the stock bumpers were underneath those giant ground effects bumpers! 100 holes is a recipe for disaster in MI unless welded and painted like you did.

A conversion van improves the odds for a gentle use vehicle, and a color other than white.

Scotty D

I have only ever seen two express vans with sliders on both sides
I prefer cargo vans like mine with no windows even in the doors, way better to put in a window where you need it instead of designing around whats already there
I found mine with a sour trans and payed accordingly. I had it rebuilt for about 1800 bucks. In hindsight I would just buy a high performance trans and install it myself.
Sliding door latch sucks in my 2009
Power steering might be another weakish link. In fact , I think I will start a thread about it.
I would go with a lower geared rear end if you plan on larger tires. Mine is geared too high for the offroading I do ,even with stock tires.

JP.

Power steering might be another weakish link. In fact , I think I will start a thread about it.
I would go with a lower geared rear end if you plan on larger tires. Mine is geared too high for the offroading I do ,even with stock tires.
Tell me more about what to look for with power steering issues. Thanks!

Len.Barron

Observer
While I'm running SAS 4x4 I agree that, as soon as you move to larger tires and AWD/4x4 you push the load on the steering box past it's happy spot...particularly turns to the left when setting still. When I build my van I installed a redhead steering box that is ported for hydro-assist...I've got all the parts collected for that and will be installing it in the next few weeks..

TeleSteve

Adventurer
While I'm running SAS 4x4 I agree that, as soon as you move to larger tires and AWD/4x4 you push the load on the steering box past it's happy spot...particularly turns to the left when setting still. When I build my van I installed a redhead steering box that is ported for hydro-assist...I've got all the parts collected for that and will be installing it in the next few weeks..
AWD Express vans have rack and pinion steering.

45Kevin

Adventurer
Side door hinges are a weak link. There are many stories of them seizing and busting the welded hinges.
PM for that is replace the hinge pins with greasable ones.
The 4L60 is a fairly solid light duty tranny, although a lot of the hot rodders put shift kits in them when they start shifting funny.
Mine is still OK with about 150K miles but the 1-2 shift is a little harsh sometimes so I may put in a shift kit in the near future.
The 5.3 is tried and true.
I was reading the @Scotty D thread on power steering. I did the Titus canyon a couple of years ago and the east side road in was terrible washboard. I didn't notice any problem with the steering.

All in all the AWD Express is a pretty well known (to this group) and reliable van. IMHO

Scotty D

I was reading the @Scotty D thread on power steering. I did the Titus canyon a couple of years ago and the east side road in was terrible washboard. I didn't notice any problem with the steering.

All in all the AWD Express is a pretty well known (to this group) and reliable van. IMHO

Thanks for that feedback. It is possible that my steering rack is just beat from 3 seasons in the baja. Not to mention that I am pushing 215k on the clock and many of those miles have not been gentle.

Teacher88

When checking applications for my van all were available. Amazingly my van did not have the factory G80 option so I installed a Eaton "Tru-Trac" carrier in my van. Mechanical option that works great and not as ON/OFF and is much smoother in operation than the Detroit

View attachment 486870

Do u have a part number for this locker? I have axel code GU6 which from what I can tell means I have 3.42 gears.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Weeds

Adventurer
Maybe this should be a new post? I am looking for an assist handle to get in the side door of a 2010 Chevy van. I assume it would be mounted on the post by the front passenger door. Any suggestions.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Maybe this should be a new post? I am looking for an assist handle to get in the side door of a 2010 Chevy van. I assume it would be mounted on the post by the front passenger door. Any suggestions.
The only ones I have seen in the Express vans are the ones that mount to the back of the passenger seat. GM part number 15056576 (neutral) or 15070535(Pewter)2017-Chevrolet-Express-Passenger-3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior