GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

DogCrazy

Hi all [soon to be] new owner of a Chevy Express AWD here that will be a daily driver and trail/camping with dogs vehicle.

Initial build plans are as follows, please give me a heads up on any red flags or better options:
Rooftop AC (coleman-mach, model to be determined) and Maxxair Deluxe fan
Truck-Lite (27450C) Headlamp
Boulder Off Road 2" Lift
Boulder Off Road Rear Handling Kit (sway bar and bilstein shocks)
Replace front shocks with Bilstein #24-186643
17x9 Wheels with -12 offset
LT265/70R17 BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 (tire and wheel combo weighs 80lb)
Pioneer AVH4200NEX Receiver
Backup camera (recommendations needed)
Insulation and securing of dog crates will be the first priorities for the cargo area, still researching options and welcome suggestions.

Looking forward to learning from this community!

-Steve

Accrete

Explorer
Hi all [soon to be] new owner of a Chevy Express AWD here that will be a daily driver and trail/camping with dogs vehicle...
Looking forward to learning from this community!

-Steve

Welcome to the forum Steve and best wishes on the build and many great adventures.
: ) Thom

DogCrazy

Alright, so I'm looking for alternative lift kits to the Boulder, does this combination look proper for a 3" lift? It's certainly much more expensive, but I suspect the handling would be superior.

Front:
SuspensionMAXX MAXXCam 2 Leveling Kits SMX-MC2 - $224.96 from Summit Racing
Bilstein B8 5100 Series Shocks 24-186643 - $70.97 x 2 from Summit Racing

Rear:
1992 - 1999 CHEVY SUBURBAN REAR LEAF SPRINGS, 2900 LBS CAPACITY, 6(5/1) LEAVES - $139.99 x2 from General Spring
Bilstein B6 4600 Series Shocks and Struts 24-221948 - $92.97 x 2 from Summit Racing

All told, this is an $950 investment including shipping, plus installation if you can't do it yourself (I can't)

Last edited:

iridewheelies

Adventurer
That is exactly what I plan to do DogCrazy. I just wish I hadn't already purchased the traxda kit.

If others agree we need to make this easy to find in a search. Better yet, someone could sell a kit with all the parts.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Alright, so I'm looking for alternative lift kits to the Boulder, does this combination look proper for a 3" lift? It's certainly much more expensive, but I suspect the handling would be superior.

Front:
SuspensionMAXX MAXXCam 2 Leveling Kits SMX-MC2 - $224.96 from Summit Racing
Bilstein B8 5100 Series Shocks 24-186643 - $70.97 x 2 from Summit Racing

Rear:
1992 - 1999 CHEVY SUBURBAN REAR LEAF SPRINGS, 2900 LBS CAPACITY, 6(5/1) LEAVES - $139.99 x2 from General Spring
Bilstein B6 4600 Series Shocks and Struts 24-221948 - $92.97 x 2 from Summit Racing

All told, this is an $950 investment including shipping, plus installation if you can't do it yourself (I can't)

What makes those torsion keys better than the other options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to mention those torsion keys are quite pricey compared to other just as effective options. The keys I have in my van are from rough country and run about $100.

You may want to add longer U bolts to your list and possibly a 1” rear block depending on how high you crank the front up. My van with the front adjuster's almost all the way in leaves the rear a bit lower with just the suburban springs

wjeeper

I was going to mention those torsion keys are quite pricey compared to other just as effective options. The keys I have in my van are from rough country and run about $100.
I couldn't agree more! Torsion keys are not terribly specialized parts. Just a hunk of cast steel! They even cross-over between manufacturers too!

If you really want to go the cheap route stock F150/expedition keys will lift an AWD just the same as the fancy pants $250.00 keys. Mine set me back all of $15/pair. Bonus is then you sell your stock "green" keys to someone with a 2500, they lift a 2500! Net cost $Free.99!

Expedition/F150 keys sitting on top of stock AWD keys.

DogCrazy

Can people list what kind of lift they're getting using various keys and springs with or without blocks for reference please?
I only pulled those keys as a reference because they were named earlier in this thread.
It was also mentioned that the suburban springs alone equate to an almost 3" rear lift, but that might not be true?

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Can people list what kind of lift they're getting using various keys and springs with or without blocks for reference please?

Unfortunately I am not sure if you had all of that information if it would help much. There are just too many variables.
How old the torsion bars are, how heavy is the van loaded, passenger or cargo van ect ect

I no longer know how my van compares to where it started stock it has just been too long and too many changes. If I had to guess I would say the rough country keys in front have me at +3" and the suburban springs in back +2-2 1/2"
But my van is loaded heavy in the rear with just the two seats in front and the mid section left fairly open as a standing/changing space.

This is where is started originally Post#16
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...te-fun-hog-(another-white-GM-awd-build)/page2

DogCrazy

Unfortunately I am not sure if you had all of that information if it would help much. There are just too many variables.
How old the torsion bars are, how heavy is the van loaded, passenger or cargo van ect ect

I no longer know how my van compares to where it started stock it has just been too long and too many changes. If I had to guess I would say the rough country keys in front have me at +3" and the suburban springs in back +2-2 1/2"
But my van is loaded heavy in the rear with just the two seats in front and the mid section left fairly open as a standing/changing space.

This is where is started originally Post#16
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...te-fun-hog-(another-white-GM-awd-build)/page2

Thanks, I'll start reading through it. So no blocks in the back now, just springs? I'm only looking for 2-3" of lift for my build and mine will have a lot of weight in the back as well. What size u-bolts did you get and where did you source them? I'm not mechanically inclined, so I'm trying to put together as complete a parts list as possible to bring to my local shop and hope they entertain me by doing the work....

Also does anyone know how much lift the 3710lbs (22-1175) springs give?

Last edited:

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
Isn't there a thread or a post where somebody wrote what wheels and tires everyone meaning the users on are running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior