GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

heathepperson

Hello all,
Wondering if anyone has done an oil filter relocation? I'm looking for the best options, would like to go with a cartridge style. What's everyones thought?
2011 Chevy Express 1500 cargo 150k miles 5.3 liter, stock.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

sackettmw

Has anyone done anything on the interior door handle pull (armrest) to make it more comfortable for leaning on? The plastic feels a little rough on the elbow after a few hours of driving. I have an 06 Savana. It's cargo van but I don't think the higher trim level passenger vans were any different.

Choff

Adventurer
Has anyone done anything on the interior door handle pull (armrest) to make it more comfortable for leaning on? The plastic feels a little rough on the elbow after a few hours of driving. I have an 06 Savana. It's cargo van but I don't think the higher trim level passenger vans were any different.
Check full conversion van for padded arm rest
good luck-comfort is a must

camrg77

Has anyone swapped out 3.42 gears for 3.73 or 4.10s? Alternatively, does anyone have experience comparing vans with the different gear ratio options (keeping the same motor/tranny configuration)?

I have the 5.3L/4L60e/3.42 configuration, running 265x75R16 BFG ATs. I got it out on the soft sand for the first time last weekend and, while I didn't get stuck, the van's performance didn't exactly inspire confidence. Even in 1st gear the engine bogged, and I couldn't build up momentum or generate much wheelspin when needed. When combined with the van's difficulty in holding reasonable speeds up hills without downshifting, it has me wondering whether its time to invest in lower gears. My question is whether 3.73s are enough, or should I go all the way to 4.10s? I drive it a fair amount on mountain roads/highways, occasionally some light off-roading, and I tow with it a handful of times per year (short distance).

Thoughts/experience/suggestions welcome. I searched the thread and didn't see this addressed specifically, but sorry if it has been answered before. Also, from what I've read, swapping in a 6L80 transmission is, if possible at all, difficult and expensive; anyone have experience with such a swap? Thanks!

[Edit - 4L60e, not 4L80e]

Last edited:

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Has anyone swapped out 3.42 gears for 3.73 or 4.10s?

Not much help but my 2010 AWD has 3.73 gears stock.
So you should be able to go the junkyard route and buy complete axles rather then regearing yours if that makes any difference to you.
Car-part.com shows a few front axle assemblies available.

Len.Barron

Observer
I have the 5.3L/4L80e/3.42 configuration,
My question is whether 3.73s are enough, or should I go all the way to 4.10s?

Also, from what I've read, swapping in a 6L80 transmission is, if possible at all, difficult and expensive; anyone have experience with such a swap?
A 4L80e behind a 5.3 would be a custom install, 1/2 ton 5.3 powered vans get the 4l60e, 3/4 and 1 ton vans use either the 4.8 or 6.0 (for gassers) and get the 4l80e.
4.10s...no doubt about it.
6l80e swap(into a van with a 4l) would require so many wiring and computer changes as to be completely impractical.

North

Observer
HALP!

Having some issues with my doors lately.

First is the slider. I stupidly reefed on the door handle while parked severely off camber (driver side downhill, PS uphill) and heard a click like maybe I'd broken some plastic. Door would open only from inside at first, but now inside is broken as well. I pulled the panel and have noticed that the rod the connects from the back latch to the front latch seems to require a lot of force to release manually, and will not stay in the yellow clip on the front latch. So far haven't had any luck sourcing a new clip. Is the back latch adjustable in any way? Sources for the clip?

Next is the DS rear cargo door. This door is stiff to open, and I noticed today that the body gap isn't even, as it is on the PS rear cargo door. The stiff DS door is too tight to the body near the bottom, and too far from the body near the top. Same for the black plastic surround above the taillight on that side. Is the alignment of the rear doors adjustable in any way??

stevets

Just back from a 25 day, 5500 mile roadtrip from my home in MN to SLC via Lander WY and Stanley ID. From SLC into Canadia ( Banf, Lake Loiuse) and back down through Montana, So Dak and home again. Added an Ikamper plus a conversion bench seat to make it a 2 bedroom !
I also added a battery isolator and second house battery ( AGM 100 ah). I managed to mod the stock tray, turn both batteries 90 degrees and fit them both in the factory space. Love the way this turned out. Also bought a Whynter 50 quart (?) 12 volt fridge.
For the first few days I traveled this set up ran the fridge and my friends cpap machine with no drama.

The van was an absolute joy in every way. It drives like a dream, goes everywhere I want and has a ton more useful space than my 4Runner.
Areas for improvement : new stereo with sub is on the way, need to dynamat the floor ( doors are done), ready to build out the rear storage/bed deck now that the theory is proven, a ladder for the roof rack cargo area....

dleeallen

Adventurer
Let's hear/see more about how you did the dual battery setup. I'm sure many would be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevets

Pretty simple. Took out the battery, removed all the high spots to level the tray. Welded two "L" brackets to a threaded rod with holes drilled through the bottom section of the L and bolted them to the tray. A piece of channel steel serves as the hold down.
The isolator is mounted up high on the radiator support (small black thing between the batteries). Then it just a matter of writing the isolator per the instructions and running a few feet of 8 gauge wire through the firewall. I found a rubber boot and poked a small hole, pulled the wire from the engine side to the cab. It's nice a weather/wind tight. 12 volt lighter style socket with a 15 amp in line fuse is mounted to the passenger seat pedestal. I'll be moving this somewhere else when the seat pivot goes in.

I am all about simple and this fits the bill perfectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles