GMRS antenna (2 antenna at once possible)

Clymber

Adventurer
I was wondering if it were possible to run 2 antenna at the same time. 1 on front of vehicle 1 in back of vehicle. I have an AT Overland top on my Tacoma and the person I do most trips with has a 50ten top on his Tacoma. It seems like we are getting interference from the tops. I have a 3db gain ghost antenna mounted on hood and other truck has a short whip antenna about16" tall on hood mount also. We are both running Midland radios

Please do not get super technical with the answer with db gain/loss and ohms. I'm all about KISS. Keep it simple stupid since I'm not the sharpest knife in the lightbulb drawer

Thanks

clydeps

KISS answer - no, you can't run two antennas off the same radio. Find a place to put the antenna higher. Also get the antennas checked just in case they are faulty.

Shawn686

Observer
I think you are asking is there a way to use the antenna that is closest to your partner. IE if you are in front the the rear antenna and if you are in the rear the front antenna?

You can use a an antenna switch to switch between the front or rear antenna, depending on your position:

https://tinylink.net/s2aUf

I am not recommending that switch, just using it as an example. I am sure someone can post a good one that they have used. I also would say that getting your antenna higher, test it, make sure it is grounded properly etc would probably be the best course. But the switch may work for what you are describing

Another option is to get a lowpro mount for what ever connector you antenna is and a rain cover for that mount. Mount that up high above anything that maybe interfering with your signal. Keep you current ghost mount and use an antenna switch for that. That way when in town you take your antenna off your high mount, install the rain cover, switch the switch to the ghost antenna and you are good to go. Use the ghost in town the big boy in the woods.

I had a similar issue, I ended up using the Sirius radio antenna hole in my roof to mount my antenna in. No extra hole and I can return to stock if I need.

Hope that helps

Shawn

Attachments

• 20210531_174103.jpg
    20210531_174103.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 20210531_174305.jpg
    20210531_174305.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • 20210531_174532.jpg
    20210531_174532.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 20210531_174810.jpg
    20210531_174810.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 20220704_151358.jpg
    20220704_151358.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The effectiveness of a ghost antenna is in its name. You need an antenna that actually sticks up into the sky, preferably with a 6dbi gain

bnsfham

The answer to your first question, is really yes, you electrically can use/phase multiple antennas. Nearly every semi-truck has a CB antenna on each mirror, to a single radio. This phasing gives a figure-8 style (front-back) radiation pattern, think fore-aft on the highway. It is very rarely done outside of CB radio. Possible, yes. Realistic, no.

To answer the rest of your question, it raises some questions. What type of distance are you communicating at, or wanting to communicate at with your current set-up? How much power do the radios transmit? Even with the "ghost" antennas mounted on both vehicles, in the same location and assuming same radios (let's say 15 watts), you should have no trouble communicating a few miles between each other, with negligible noise. NOT KNOW YOUR EXACT SCENARIO, I would suggest testing your installation before investing in more equipment. If you don't have a wattmeter, you would be able to go to any two-way/land-mobile radio shop and they can test your antenna and radio. Might be as simple as a bad connector, on EITHER radio. Remember, the antenna is used for transmit and receive, and is critical to both, so poor reception on one, may indicate poor transmit on the other, or vice-versa. I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles