GMRS Recommendation

dreadlocks

the bluetooth is likely just connecting as a headset profile and the software is doing all the packet encoding/decoding.. there is no reason why we cant get some open source standard apps developed, if it gains enough traction mebe the manufacturers will implement it them selves instead of the inevitable path to proprietary apps/protocols if we leave it up to them.

I bet with a little work might be able to get aprsdroid working on it, then just fork it for a gmrs version w/no IS service (yet).. though UHF should be able to do 9600 baud I dunno if its practical.

I will say that it's cool to see Motorola already taking advantage of the new digital packet rules for FRS/GMRS with these app-connectable radios: https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_us/products/two-way-radios/consumer-two-way-radios/t800.html

I saw the China clone of this on Indigo yesterday being crowd source funded.

They do operate like a normal FRS/GMRS handi when used alone, but when paired to a cell phone via bluetooth the handi offers the features of a cell phone without using cell service. This does open the door to tracking individuals or groups in an APRS fashion.

camp4x4

Adventurer
I saw the China clone of this on Indigo yesterday being crowd source funded.

They do operate like a normal FRS/GMRS handi when used alone, but when paired to a cell phone via bluetooth the handi offers the features of a cell phone without using cell service. This does open the door to tracking individuals or groups in an APRS fashion.
Super curious to see that. Got a link?

camp4x4

Adventurer
So, these are like the goTenna. They function on the MURS channels where data is allowed pretty much unrestricted, and no license is required. There doesn't appear to be an actual walkie-talkie feature... I have no idea why they look like handheld radios...

But yeah, they seem very similar other than requiring a cell phone to use, and using a different band.

camp4x4

Adventurer
They operate on FRS at 2 watts and they can talk to other handheld 2 way FRS/GMRS radios. But yes similar to gotenna as well.
Gotcha... I was guessing since their page doesn’t list band info or highlight any PTT feature outside the phone integration.

I did think the new FRS data rules had duration and frequency limits.

I’d be curious to see If they actually have an FCC ID yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94