Goodyear G275 MSA Tire Balancing or Shaving

IndianaDano

I would like to find an experienced heavy duty tire shop that can road balance my tires (335/80R/20) or shave them (old school but preferred). At $1k per tire I want to get the most use out of them. I have been in gas & oil country (not TX) where I thought I would have some luck but I have not. I'm gonna be in AZ off and on for the next month so if anyone knows of someone near there (or surrounding states) please let me know. First hand knowledge/experience w the shop is preferred for any recommendations.

MOG_BigRig_Tire-Rim.jpeg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Whats the issue?

Have you considered Centramatics? They worked wonders for my MPTs

I have been considering moving to the Goodyear G275 but have heard of balancing issues. Curious what youre experiencing

IndianaDano

Whats the issue?

I have been considering moving to the Goodyear G275 but have heard of balancing issues. Curious what youre experiencing

Love the tires look and def got me out of a jam a few days ago but they come "out of round" and need to run a few thousands miles then have them balanced. i know that Evolution Off Grid is or has recently bought a tire shaving machine and that is really the way to get the tire balanced w/o use of any weights. I have been hesitant to use the beads from what a few folks have told me. I didn't have this issue w the MPTs that came with the upfit package before these Goodyears but like the looks + speed rating difference (i go 60-65mph but like knowing safer if need to go faster) of these minus the ride until i get the balancing sorted.

IndianaDano

Whats the issue?

I just looked Centramatics interesting and will have to try to learn more about them.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I don’t have a specific recommendation, but AZ is mining country for sure and your tires will seem small to the right vendors. Maybe hit up the Goodyear website and look at dealers of heavy equipment tires.

Kingsize24

Just an FYI. I've run many different wheel and tire combinations, some lighter and some as heavy as what you have currently. Both the MSA's and Continentals have some issues balancing due to out of round conditions, although Continental is catching up since the gen2 molds. Call Balance masters, https://www.balancemasters.com/, let them know your wheel/tire combination weight, and get the largest set of balance master disc's you can fit behind your wheels for your combination. I think you will be surprised. Not only do they help with major balance issues, they help your tires last longer, and you never balance your wheel setup at all. So no worries about paying for that at all again. Just mount, and go.

Jason

IndianaDano

Just an FYI. I've run many different wheel and tire combinations, some lighter and some as heavy as what you have currently. Both the MSA's and Continentals have some issues balancing due to out of round conditions, although Continental is catching up since the gen2 molds. Call Balance masters, https://www.balancemasters.com/, let them know your wheel/tire combination weight, and get the largest set of balance master disc's you can fit behind your wheels for your combination. I think you will be surprised. Not only do they help with major balance issues, they help your tires last longer, and you never balance your wheel setup at all. So no worries about paying for that at all again. Just mount, and go.

Jason

Thank you and will do. Appreciate all the knowledge drops.

J!m

Old-school trick for big truck tires is to add a (special?) sand inside the tire that balances them dynamically.

Might ask around and see if this is still a "thing".

yfarm

Observer
Bought a set of Method 17” wheels for my F250 after being assured by Method would fit, test fit wheels no problem so mounted the tires and balancing weights hit the front calipers. Shop was a heavy truck shop, suggested beads. Installed the beads, 21k on the tires now, perfect wear pattern, little vibration after sitting for weeks, drive 5 miles it goes away. What have you been told about beads? Shop said are what they use in semi tires.

yfarm

Observer
Work fine in my F250 since Nov 2020. Truck sits for months in a storage unit then taken out for couple thousand highway and blm road miles so if clumping would occur would think I would have an issue.

Kingsize24

It's DEFINITELY not recommended to run beads in vehicles with wheel sensors. But having said that, some have had success. I'd say it's 50/50. The newer sensors are a bit more robust than they were. They are however still taking a beating from the tire beads during travel.

lucilius

I don't know how heavy your truck is but those G275 tires are getting some decent reviews in the Earthroamer and GXV communities where rigs weigh ~16-20k lbs loaded. You might give Dynabeads a call, describe your situation and see what they recommend. I've been using them for several years with TPMS on 315/80r22.5 Conti HDR2+ and HDW Scandinavia tires with zero issues. The only thing that might surprise you is that they can (very rarely, has happened to me twice) clump together if you've parked for a day or more in colder conditions, maybe -15F/-25C ambient or lower, and you fire up your rig, start rolling and your wheels feel suddenly unbalanced and you grip the wheel wondering just what maintenance item slipped your pre-trip checklist as the Mrs. throws you a look of disdain. It's no big deal because they quickly return to normal within a few hundred meters of driving. Strangely, I've camped in colder conditions and they didn't clump up. They are smooth as silk on the road and many heavy truck tire shops are used to using them. I've also heard good things about Centramatic but never used them. I figured I'd try dynabeads because they have been around for awhile, relatively easy, inexpensive and if they didn't work I'd try something more complex and expensive. They've worked flawlessly for me. If you're looking for more input, you might head over to the Unimog/MB truck crew on this website and ask. Those folks are driving heavy rigs with big, heavy, expensive tires and don't mess around when it comes to keeping tires balanced and might offer you a wealth of info and experience.

Kingsize24

Look up Justin Wehring here. He has centramatic build him a custom heavier duty balancer set made for 40 in tires. I'll be installing my set this weekend and will report. I hate balance beads for various reasons.

Agreed. And Balance Master has the same. Without the weight noise of the centramatics if that bothers you. I've had both, and these are dead silent in comparison with the same working technology.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles