Google Earth PRO Computer edition (not smart phone)

FrenchieXJ

Expedition Leader
Question on Google Earth PRO Computer edition.
Is there a person out there who knows how to very simply explain to this simpleton (me)? A way to post in a email,a route to another person. It needs to be explained to a non-computer geek person (me again). I have finally figured out to create and save the routes, but beyond that I am lost. If you use fancy computer words, you might just as well post in Chinese, as I do not understand the lingo. Just think really old fart at this end.

Thanks,
Da Frenchman

FrenchieXJ

Expedition Leader
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the link. I have been their and done a couple of maps. I did a search of some of the areas and maybe I need to explore some of the layers to get the additional information to do the maps. The areas are so remote that many of the landmarks do not show. I guess that I need to play with it as see if I can get it to work.

Thanks again,

Da Frenchman

Kevin108

Explorer
I'm still very much learning myself. I don't know how anyone else is doing it, but so far what has worked for me is:

1. Use Google Maps to click a point and add a label. For anything without an existing label, that gives you easy access to GPS coordinates, which I save.
2. Use Google Earth Pro and pin the locations of my GPS coordinates I've collected. That helps me visualize a trail.
3. Use Google My Maps and my GPS coordinates to craft a route. Once your happy with your map, click the 3 dots by the map title and you can export the map as KML.

After that, you can open the KML in Google Earth Pro.

I'm trying to learn the Gaia app as well. On my iPhone, opening the KML with the Gaia app only provided me with a partial route. For the complete route, I had to upload it through the web site.

Another tool I've found useful is http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Good luck in your learning!

ohiobenz

I just bought a Surface and have started shopping for mapping software.
The options for PC seem pretty limited :-( I dont want anything data or wifi dependent.

OverlandTrax

Contributor
If your looking to add different views (a.k.a. overlays) in GoogleEarth you can pull other maps (e.g., from US Forest Service) and see them in GoogleEarth. Download the KMZ (compressed KML) file (contains links to overlays) to see some of the main overlays I used regularly: https://sites.google.com/site/overlandtrax/home/OverlandTrax.kmz

I agree with Kevin108, the easiest way to share a map (without e-mailing the KML/KMZ) is Gaia or https://www.google.com/mymaps. GoogleEarth is more of a planning tool than a collaboration one. I normally edit a route in GoogleEarth and then export it as KML/KMZ and upload it to mymaps to share it. Cheers!

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the link. I have been their and done a couple of maps. I did a search of some of the areas and maybe I need to explore some of the layers to get the additional information to do the maps. The areas are so remote that many of the landmarks do not show. I guess that I need to play with it as see if I can get it to work.

Thanks again,

Da Frenchman

1Louder

Explorer
If you are going to start to use electronic maps and share tracks you will have to learn a few terms. It's just the reality.

GPX - A recorded track which you can share. This is a universal format which can be used in a variety of apps. So if you use Motion X (for example) and someone else uses Gaia you can share the track and they will be able to upload to the app of their choice. You can export and import these track types.

KML - Same thing (see how simple this is!)

How to share once you have created or source a file?
Well you can upload something to DropBox, Google Drive, email it, host it on a web page, use an app like Gaia that has a web based version and share that way (my preferred way)

Kevin has provided great info.

Overland Bound did a video on using Google Earth that you might want to check out. I find Google Earth to be very cumbersome. I am sure there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube.

I have also written some articles on my website about how to use Gaia GPS, 4XOA.com and look at the article section.

GPSVisualizer, as mentioned, is a good tool when you need to convert files to different format.

@ohiobenz I think you will find it harder and harder to find applications with large built in datasets. They become outdated quickly. This is why most apps offer a wide variety of map sources and then you pick and choose what you want to download to your device. I think Earthmate may still have some products but no idea how current they are.

Technical Mumbojumbo:
GPS Exchange Format - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Exchange_Format
GPX, or GPS Exchange Format, is an XML schema designed as a common GPS data format for software applications. It can be used to describe waypoints, tracks, and routes. The format is open and can be used without the need to pay license fees.

Keyhole Markup Language (KML) is an XML notation for expressing geographic annotation and visualization within Internet-based, two-dimensional maps and three-dimensional Earth browsers. KML was developed for use with Google Earth, which was originally named Keyhole Earth Viewer.
Keyhole Markup Language - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyhole_Markup_Language

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Hey Frenchy ! Welcome to my world. The land that ROFs wander into never to be seen again.

Dale

ohiobenz

@ohiobenz I think you will find it harder and harder to find applications with large built in datasets. They become outdated quickly. This is why most apps offer a wide variety of map sources and then you pick and choose what you want to download to your device. I think Earthmate may still have some products but no idea how current they are.
MS Maps and TwoNav Land still have downloadable maps for offline use that are PC compatible.
I have not checked if Google Earth can read either of those.

My search has been for a PC/Windows 10 based software which can do turn-by-turn for daily use, and for getting to or close to places where an off-road part may begin, while at the same time being capable of playing back and/or creating a GPX track.

So far there isn't any software for either mobile or PC that can do both.