Goose - Our Poptop FZJ80

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
T- hope all is well - check in on your site from time to time, and run across you here and there on vehicle related sites. Glad to see your still tinkering with Toyota's and bikes- 2 of the best things ever.

You mentioned clearing out the house, so whats the scoop? Hope your taking the leap- we sold our house April 17 and quite the jay ooo bees- best thing we ever did - still doing. But the end is near job search is commencing end June. Keep up the good work.
Good to hear from you buddy! We took the big leap, quit our jobs. We're taking about a year to explore. Starting in Baja next month after a couple of offroad instructing gigs and then we'll see where we feel like going! :-D It was a long time coming. Hard to believe we are almost there!!!!

I'm really diggin' your interior setup. Clean and efficient.

Thanks Jtranum!! It's coming along nicely!

Teamoatmealpie

Observer
T- Congratulations on taking the leap. You should be proud of yourselves, it takes some courage to opt for a different path for a period of time.

I briefly met a family with 3 kids from Colorado taking their annual 30-45 day surf trip in Saladita (they drive down in the old Toyota Camper). It inspired me and I made the decision right then I would step away from work - I figured why not me and my kids. Its been the best thing I have ever done. Enjoy each day and each moment its worth it.

Teamoatmealpie

Observer
And of course if you roll thru Oregon, you have a place to stay, do laundry, intel on Oregon places to see/do, and of course bunch dirt bikes and surfboards.

SOAZ

T- Congratulations on taking the leap. You should be proud of yourselves, it takes some courage to opt for a different path for a period of time.

I briefly met a family with 3 kids from Colorado taking their annual 30-45 day surf trip in Saladita (they drive down in the old Toyota Camper). It inspired me and I made the decision right then I would step away from work - I figured why not me and my kids. Its been the best thing I have ever done. Enjoy each day and each moment its worth it.
And of course if you roll thru Oregon, you have a place to stay, do laundry, intel on Oregon places to see/do, and of course bunch dirt bikes and surfboards.

Thanks buddy, it's a heck of a lot of work to break free and it seems to be an even mix of encouragement and condemnation in doing it, but I can't wait to hit the road. We're so close. Just another 20 or 30 long days of work, side jobs etc to get us out of here. We're heading south first, but when we head that way, we'll be there!! (The next iteration of traveling might have to include some dirt bikes. I think Kelsey is missing her dirtbike more than me!) :D(y)(y)(y)

SOAZ

The interior looks great! What kind of material did you go with for upper bunk panels?
Thanks! (y)
It's birch ply, but on the center board that holds most of the weight we have some aluminum angle just to make sure it doesn't start bowing at some point. Then we just wrapped it all in the headliner material. So far so good!

alia176

Explorer
Wow, I read the entire thread PLUS the blog. Just what I needed as I sit here at Discount Tires, getting my Moonglow Pearl's tires rotated and balanced. Congrats on the new leap and finding your lady. I wish you well on your upcoming journey and if you need a place to crash in ABQ, look me up.

Cheers.

SOAZ

Wow, I read the entire thread PLUS the blog. Just what I needed as I sit here at Discount Tires, getting my Moonglow Pearl's tires rotated and balanced. Congrats on the new leap and finding your lady. I wish you well on your upcoming journey and if you need a place to crash in ABQ, look me up.

Cheers.
Thanks Ali! I love ABQ.
We're working away finishing up details and trying to get the house rented. 2 more week long training jobs and we're free.
By the way, I see you have a Kamparoo. I love those clam shell trailers. I reviewed one for OJ in the early days. Amazingly simple to setup and take down.
Cheers,
T&K

SOAZ

Posting this from El Pescadaro, Baja California Sur. All is well. This is the biggest town we've hit since entering mexico about 20 days ago so we're doing some uploading. This is a long walk through of Goose. We've had a lot of people ask for more detail so we tried to hit everything, but I can already think of several things we missed.
Here ya go!
Hasta,

ontopofm

Very cool setup. How many gallons of lizard skin did you use and what did you use for cabinet frames? Are they 80/20 aluminum extrusion? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOAZ

Very cool setup. How many gallons of lizard skin did you use and what did you use for cabinet frames? Are they 80/20 aluminum extrusion? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used 4 gallons of it. We could have used less, but once the big cans are open we decided to keep going with layers or it or adding some of it to the underside to use it up. Yep, it's 80/20. The previous owner of the Campteq did the heavy lifting in creating the bench and countertop and we modified it to our setup. Now that I've worked with it, I'm sold on using it to build anything!

Wayaway

I love this thread.. it totally makes me want to hack the top off my 4Runner and permanently install some kinda roof tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste