Got a Gen 1 LWB, what now?

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Nice Gen 1 man.

I have been itching to get myself a Gen 1 also....maybe next year. If one comes along in great condition and a fair price...I may be a new owner of a Gen 1.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Thanks it's getting there but more keep popping up in better colors, this one has really low miles though so i keep wanting to just strip it down and repaint it something nice. If the right one falls in my lap i may just have to start over ?

Toasty

Took it on it's first wheeling trip today and everything worked! Just barely touched my skid plates in a few plates so i think maybe I'll go with a 31x9.5 tire. Overall it did really well and was a lot of fun to drive a little truck on an easy trail again.

20180930_113246.jpg20180930_113252.jpg

PacS14

Adventurer
Beautiful gen 1, I was actually looking for a gen 1 at first, I found my 2.5 first though. Eventually I might look for one but I would like to find the fully loaded one with the third row seats that still good out into a bed, that was one of the main reasons I went with the Montero instead of the Trooper, or other platform.

Toasty

What trail is this? Could be a good proving ground for my Gen3?

Tortilla Pass Trail near Apache lake at the Tortilla trailhead, it Google maps. Probably going to go wheel another easy trail in a week or two closer to home. I'll keep you in the loop.

Toasty

So the speedometer has a squeek noise so i took it apart today and used a needle oiler to put a drop of silicone oil on every shaft. Noise still present, i think it could be the cable itself transmitting some noise so I'm going to muck with that next.

Toasty

20180811_103933.jpg

So with my wife's Mirage getting totalled while i was out on the Rubicon the '05 became her daily driver. It was much too nice of a Montero to be tasked with wife duties although we both loved it I rehomed it yesterday. I'll replace it with a more fuel efficient wagon/girl car.

20181006_133358.jpg

With the '05 in the right hands and the '99 in the hands of the missus (for now) my focus on the '91 is now increasing its range. It's currently rocking 10 year old 30x9.5 BFG ATs on 15" Gen 2 LS wheels, off-road the truck could really use another .5" of clearance. The plan is some 17" NATO style wheels and 245/75R17 BFG Rugged Trail tires which are about 31.5x9.5 and i think they will fill the wheel well proper without a lift and not strain the engine uphill too bad. The focus from this point is quiet comfort, new tires, new foam stickies under door linkages, Noico, new carpet, new upholstery, new speakers and window tint. WHITEWALLS OUT!
4490ed8f-39b2-4461-9afc-91501ea15688_1.769183812ad63e094c3fa6004cb6f27a.jpeg

Toasty

Been working on the paint, its coming back better than expected. Still need to order the passenger rear door and fix some dents.
20181022_090208.jpg
20181025_161943.jpg

Got a really good deal on some Toyo 265/70R17 winter tires because Az doesn't winter. I'll give them a try up in the snow this year and see if they actually make a difference but they are really soft and have a ton of siping. I imagine they don't last long but that's ok I got the set for the price of one BFG A/T.

AZPAJERO

Observer
Been working on the paint, its coming back better than expected. Still need to order the passenger rear door and fix some dents.
View attachment 480355
View attachment 480350

Got a really good deal on some Toyo 265/70R17 winter tires because Az doesn't winter. I'll give them a try up in the snow this year and see if they actually make a difference but they are really soft and have a ton of siping. I imagine they don't last long but that's ok I got the set for the price of one BFG A/T.

Wow those wheels look super sharp on there (y)

the range rover / explorer front brush guard is almost a bolt on for these rigs.. they come in 4 shades of faded black , depending on age. and they wrap around the front edges pretty closely , enough so that you will not have to modify them.
the late sixties to mid 70's warn winch bumper for a Ford, or GM or Dodge, is likewise an almost bolt on. and it looks REALLY good on these rigs.

the 3.0 will accept an alternator from a cummins TD engine giving you a wallop for Amps. and a denso alternator, scrapping the very good but very expensive mitsu alternator.
i was talked into using an external regulator by the guys at Reno Auto elec. (Excellent service and value), otherwise the internal unit works just fine. that you buy from , uh, shoot i cant remember the company that sells the device for internally regulating these Alternators.
cool rigs, ive put a zillion miles on mine with as many upgrades, and now she is in temporary retirement. As with al upgrades, the more you upgrade it the more she needs it.

Toasty

Well, this truck is gone (someone needed it more than i did) wish i hadn't just put wheels and tires on it. Now i need a new Gen 1 to start over, bogus! I didn't like the color anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier