got a new trooper

Clutch

<---Pass
It's the 4wd version of an 88lx 5.0 on steelies

Unfortunately it is only 2WD, however...got a smoking deal on it, it was in excellent to near mint condition (the interior looked nearly new), so...

It will never see dirt...or gravel for that matter. I have been using it for my 50 mile round trip commute I have now, tell ya...it is like driving a lazy boy down the highway,
and I am liking it...getting spoiled. Kicked around the idea of converting to 4WD, but why?

Didn't like it at first, it has grown on me for sure.

That SWB you picked up is cherry, good job zimmer. Neighbor behind me in Tucson had one...it was roached out though.

zimm

Expedition Leader
im debating making it an Econo'Bowler.

turbo, 2" lift, Koni's, 33's... just bolt on stuff.

Amigo head chambers would give a 7-1, which is to low. i wouldnt want to pull the block for flat pistons. i wonder if a stock head could be reworked to provide 8- 8.5 to 1.

this thing is a kick to zip around in. why the hell i didnt buy one in 89 is a mystery.

S

Squatchout

You'll end up liking 32x11:50 a lot better than 33's on a 1st gen. This and a good header and exhaust adds some zip to the 2.6. Keep exhaust 2.25 or under. 2.5" is too big. These motors are finicky about exhaust. Combine this with the 4:77 gears of the RS and not too bad.
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79422

If you have to have a hair dryer. http://www.turbogemini.com/Gemini 300hp Turbo Kit.htm

HD torsion bars. Old Man Emu shocks and some aftermarket sway bars front and rear go a long way to changing the lean and handling.I don't think Calmini has sway bar kits left any more but Addco ones are out there.

zimm

Expedition Leader
You'll end up liking 32x11:50 a lot better than 33's on a 1st gen. This and a good header and exhaust adds some zip to the 2.6. Keep exhaust 2.25 or under. 2.5" is too big. These motors are finicky about exhaust. Combine this with the 4:77 gears of the RS and not too bad.
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79422

If you have to have a hair dryer. http://www.turbogemini.com/Gemini 300hp Turbo Kit.htm

HD torsion bars. Old Man Emu shocks and some aftermarket sway bars front and rear go a long way to changing the lean and handling.I don't think Calmini has sway bar kits left any more but Addco ones are out there.

thats the size droverrover went with.

id love to dyno 300, 'cause that seems to be the magic number, but i think that would stress the bottom end, if not the factory 10 bolt front. sticking to 250 is likely best. besides, the 4.77's wont let you take advantage of anything more.

i dont want to overdo sway bars. a stiffer lift and shocks should handle anything but sustained corners, and i do wan to keep some flex for show.

i need to measure the new pipes on this. theres a disict 2050 to 2100 droan i suspect is from resonating thru the pipes and hi flow muffler.

S

Squatchout

I've run HD sway bars on every Zu I've owned. Even wheel with them on.

Yep I run a resonator to get rid of the drone.

Bottom end of a 2.6 is diesel strong. But I have no experience with turbos so can't speak to that. It a big job to do and you pretty much have to build an ECM from a kit for these old OBD1 trucks. There are a couple of folks on the planet that have done it.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I've run HD sway bars on every Zu I've owned. Even wheel with them on.

Yep I run a resonator to get rid of the drone.

Bottom end of a 2.6 is diesel strong. But I have no experience with turbos so can't speak to that. It a big job to do and you pretty much have to build an ECM from a kit for these old OBD1 trucks. There are a couple of folks on the planet that have done it.

sounds like a job for a blow thru on a webber 38/38

zimm

Expedition Leader
never did tackle the truck. it was a hoot to zip around in and ill miss her, but i passed it onto Drover. his life partner managed to dent all surfaces of his built up 88, and hes going to build up to the super trooper it deserves.

sayonara, baby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier