Got a truck for my Alaskan!

rstl99

Adventurer
Hi all,

My Alaskan re-caulking project is a bit on hold, http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49900 due to:
(1) garage getting a little too cold to comfortably work in (cold caulking and cold hands!)
(2) suitable pickup truck became available locally, which I ended up buying, followed by
(3) selling my 92 LandCruiser diesel 5 speed (sniff sniff :( ) since I can't afford to keep two 4x4 trucks!

What did I buy? A 1996 Dodge 2500 12-valve Cummins diesel 3/4 ton (with "camper package" - helper springs and sway bar in the back), extended cab, automatic, 4x4, in fine shape, from the original owner (older couple who used it to occasionally tow a 5th wheel to visit their daugher in Manitoba, and do some excursions here and there). Only 60,000 miles on it, and a lot of work was done to it in the last 3 years (brakes, front end, injection pump, etc. etc.).

So now I have the vehicle to carry my Alaskan, once I have finished the re-caulking and other small things in the Spring. Oh yeah, and once I have figured out how to jack the camper onto the truck safely!

Looking forward to having the rig out for its introductory camping trip, to get used to living in and out of the Alaskan, getting it properly setup and fitted, in readiness for some longer road trips next Summer.

More to come...

Cheers!

--Robert

Attachments

• 96ram25004x4.jpg
    96ram25004x4.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 53
  • alaskan11.jpeg
    alaskan11.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 55
  • alaskan12.jpg
    alaskan12.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Congratulations on a completed Alaskan setup!

Be sure to post some photos and trip reports when you start traveling with the Alaskan.

rstl99

Adventurer
Thanks. Thought I'd add a couple of pics of the camper so people can visualize what it will look like on the back of the truck!
Something to look forward after the long winter, getting this rig all setup and ready to go!
Have no fear, once I am able to get going on some of those trips I've been planning for too many years than I care to admit (Freedom 55 is almost here!), there will be pics and reports here. James Bay, Lake Superior, Labrador, are some of the places I'm looking to travel to in the not too distant future.
Cheers.
--Robert

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Something to look forward after the long winter, getting this rig all setup and ready to go!

Tell me about it.

Have no fear, once I am able to get going on some of those trips I've been planning for too many years than I care to admit (Freedom 55 is almost here!), there will be pics and reports here. James Bay, Lake Superior, Labrador, are some of the places I'm looking to travel to in the not too distant future.
Cheers.
--Robert

Let me know when you are headed to Lake Superior, I am not to far from Thunder Bay.

rstl99

Adventurer
Got the camper on the truck!

Hi again! After doing a bunch of repairs and PM on the truck, and finishing the re-caulking of my Alaskan, I finally put the camper on the truck last weekend, and installed secure tie-downs. Previously, I had built a 2x8 and 2x4 ladder-shaped base for the camper to rest on in the bed of the truck (with rigid foam insulation to fill the gaps). Since I don't plan on taking the camper off anytime soon, I also had to wait until I no longer needed the truck for hauling construction supplies to my cottage for this summer's renovation work.

Well, too late this year to start on some road trips up North, but at least the camper and truck will be ready for some travelling next Spring.
ontruck4a.jpgontruck1a.jpgalaskanbase.jpgalaskanup1.jpgalaskandown.jpgalaskandown1.jpgalaskanup2.jpg

Attachments

• ontruck2a.jpg
    ontruck2a.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 30

rstl99

Adventurer
Thanks guys.
Rotbox, I'll have to read over your buildup thread to inspire me for my own "gypsy wagon"!

ExpoMike

Nice truck but I might be a little bias. :D

Now you just need to get out and get some pictures out in the "wild".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94